Read 2377 times

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
Apartment invasions of privacy
« on: July 07, 2019, 07:19:00 pm »

My building has loudspeakers in each apartment, which deliver loud messages in Korean every week. "Fire drill! Don't smoke! Can someone come and move their car!" etc Blasted straight into your apartment. It hardly feels like its my own apartment when I am subjected to a blaring tanoy whenever they feel like it.

Does anyone agree this is an annoying invasion of privacy and personal space, or is it a necessary way to keep tenants updated?
Catch my drift?

Re: Apartment invasions of privacy
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 07:39:55 pm »
I'm sure in at least one of those announcements was them trying to address some issue that bothers you and you're angry they aren't addressing.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 07:42:41 pm »
The fact that it is not in every apartment building proves it isn’t ”necessary”.

I would disconnect it.

(PS: It might be annoying, but I wouldn’t call it an invasion of privacy.)

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2019, 07:48:00 pm »
Ah yes the old Orwellian Korean loudspeaker bullshit. Pry open the speaker cover, snip the wires with scissors, sleep through the bullshit peacefully.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 08:18:35 pm »
I am impressed by the LACK of invasion of privacy. For 9 of my 16+ years here, I've had my apartment located in the same building as the academy and its director, yet the only time i have been interrupted by a knock was to give me gifts (Chuseok, kittens). Every other time my director wanted to contact me (three different ones over those years) they would phone or wait until working hours in the academy itself.

The only intrusion is: every six months for the last two years a little older lady from the town govt knocks to come in and use a handheld machine to check for gas leaks on my stove and boiler. I always shoo her away (cuz my place is a mess) and she comes back two or three days later. The first time i shooed her she was stunned. Now she just nods quicky and departs.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 08:19:35 pm »
I am impressed by the LACK of invasion of privacy. For 9 of my 16+ years here, I've had my apartment located in the same building as the academy and its director, yet the only time i have been interrupted by a knock was to give me gifts (Chuseok, kittens). Every other time my director wanted to contact me (three different ones over those years) they would phone or wait until working hours in the academy itself.

The only intrusion is: every six months for the last two years a little older lady from the town govt knocks to come in and use a handheld machine to check for gas leaks on my stove and boiler. I always shoo her away (cuz my place is a mess) and she comes back two or three days later. The first time i shooed her she was stunned. Now she just nods quicky and departs.

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2019, 08:23:08 pm »
*Cuts wire on loudspeaker*

3 months later on waygook.org Ranting/Venting Megathread: "Apparently my apartment complex decided to suddenly, without notice, tear up the parking lot for resurfacing and I had to walk the long way around and was 10 minutes late for work. How come no one here tells us anything?!?!?!"

6 months later on waygook.org: "Help, my apartment complex just fined me W100,000 won for such and such. Apparently they enacted a certain new policy, but they never told me about it. I complained to the building manager and he said it was announced repeatedly over the intercom and posted on notices. I told him I never heard anything."

6 months, 2 weeks later on waygook.org: "So the building manager at my apartment did some surprise visit without notice at my apartment. He came in and checked the intercom and said that I had "damaged" it.  Now they're trying to charge me W80,000 for just a couple of snipped wires. How do I fight this? Are they allowed to just show up like that? I should sue them for invasion of privacy because of their stupid intercom and surprise visit.

Also, why did they even think it was damaged? Why did they target my apartment? They just singled me out because I'm a foreigner. The building manager is some ajosshi who has a thin skin towards foreigners."

• Lazio
  • Veteran

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2019, 10:52:20 pm »

3 months later on waygook.org Ranting/Venting Megathread: "Apparently my apartment complex decided to suddenly, without notice, tear up the parking lot for resurfacing and I had to walk the long way around and was 10 minutes late for work. How come no one here tells us anything?!?!?!"

6 months later on waygook.org: "Help, my apartment complex just fined me W100,000 won for such and such. Apparently they enacted a certain new policy, but they never told me about it. I complained to the building manager and he said it was announced repeatedly over the intercom and posted on notices. I told him I never heard anything."

6 months, 2 weeks later on waygook.org: "So the building manager at my apartment did some surprise visit without notice at my apartment. He came in and checked the intercom and said that I had "damaged" it.  Now they're trying to charge me W80,000 for just a couple of snipped wires. How do I fight this? Are they allowed to just show up like that? I should sue them for invasion of privacy because of their stupid intercom and surprise visit.

Also, why did they even think it was damaged? Why did they target my apartment? They just singled me out because I'm a foreigner. The building manager is some ajosshi who has a thin skin towards foreigners."

Not that your average foreigner would understand most of these announcements...

If it's something semi-important, it would be displayed in the elevator. If something very important, then an A4 paper containing all the info taped to every apartment door.
We will get some work done on the electrical system so our entire complex will be without power for like half a day just the day after tomorrow. It's kind of a big deal and happening very soon, but it hasn't been announced yet through the speakers. It's in the elevator though and a paper was on our front door about it.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 11:17:38 pm »

Not that your average foreigner would understand most of these announcements...

If it's something semi-important, it would be displayed in the elevator.
Exactly, if it's important, why would you announce it over the PA? I could be NOT at home. Elevator announcements, and a bulletin board by the front door, done.

When I'm at home I don't want ominous voices springing up throughout my evening, leave me the f alone.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 02:11:04 am »
Ah yes the old Orwellian Korean loudspeaker bullshit. Pry open the speaker cover, snip the wires with scissors, sleep through the bullshit peacefully.

Thing is, the megaphone rape of ones psychic space extends to the park or the benches by the river. You stop to sit on a bench and there is a nearby speaker blasting out some "music" to ruin the moment. Does the taxpayer actually pay for this synthetic musical accompaniment everywhere?

The reason i take a walk in the countryside is to get peace and quiet and escape noise!
Catch my drift?

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 06:48:23 am »

My building has loudspeakers in each apartment, which deliver loud messages in Korean every week. "Fire drill! Don't smoke! Can someone come and move their car!" etc Blasted straight into your apartment. It hardly feels like its my own apartment when I am subjected to a blaring tanoy whenever they feel like it.

Does anyone agree this is an annoying invasion of privacy and personal space, or is it a necessary way to keep tenants updated?

Simple.  Move.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 06:51:47 am »

Thing is, the megaphone rape of ones psychic space extends to the park or the benches by the river. You stop to sit on a bench and there is a nearby speaker blasting out some "music" to ruin the moment. Does the taxpayer actually pay for this synthetic musical accompaniment everywhere?

The reason i take a walk in the countryside is to get peace and quiet and escape noise!
don't worry. on the rare occasion you can find peace and quiet somewhere, an old person will soon come by, blasting distorted trot music from their phone

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 07:49:40 am »

My wife and I usually go for a long walk or mini hike on Sundays. We usually go to the less "famous" places, but yesterday, we went to one of the more well-known paths and the first thing we noticed, we were not soothed by the sounds of nature, but by the sounds of loudspeakers, playing ballads and Trot, installed every 20 meters along the mountain trail.

...Land of the morning calm? Right.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 07:59:06 am »

Easy does it.  Wait until this happens before you write an entire page dressing down someone for something that only happened in your head.  I find the announcements annoying but they generally happen around the same time and I'm usually at the gym.  If it was something important a lot of tenants would miss it.  As Lazio pointed out they use different methods to get vital info to you.  My apt. puts a folder out at certain times in the lobby and the security guard will actually be awake to get you to sign that you understand the issue. 

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 11:16:22 am »
A bunch of comments on how I was overlooking notices by people failing to notice me mentioning notices does not inspire me as to one's ability to notice notices and the elimination of the blaring announcement.

Plus the annoying nature of the announcements is a feature, not a bug. If tenants ARE engaging in repeated bad behavior, then blasting them with repeated annoying interruptions might work as incentive for them to cease repeated bad behavior to get rid of said interruptions.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 12:12:31 pm »
A bunch of comments on how I was overlooking notices by people failing to notice me mentioning notices does not inspire me as to one's ability to notice notices and the elimination of the blaring announcement.

Plus the annoying nature of the announcements is a feature, not a bug. If tenants ARE engaging in repeated bad behavior, then blasting them with repeated annoying interruptions might work as incentive for them to cease repeated bad behavior to get rid of said interruptions.

Wait, did you just back up your earlier post by once again quoting the fake post you wrote? 
My main point was that you went on a whole thing, that included quotation marks for things that were never actually said, to shoot down the OP.  Yet, only You Demartino made any of those complaints. 

The especially telling one of your fragile state of mind was this "Also, why did they even think it was damaged? Why did they target my apartment? They just singled me out because I'm a foreigner. The building manager is some ajosshi who has a thin skin towards foreigners."  You again forgot to attribute this paragraph completely to DeMartino as opposed to any foreigner.  Oops!

That's the crux of it. It's what you try and paint every foreigner as thinking anytime they have an issue with something.  Your fan fiction here is quite telling. 

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• Anyang
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 12:17:32 pm »
VanIslander:
[/quote]

Real power play there.  Those ladies have to come back and all you're doing by shooing her away is ensuring she must return. So, instead of giving her the six seconds it takes for her to check the gas you're just adding the workload and inconvenience to a likely lowly paid individual. I was out a couple of weeks ago and missed my gas lady three times.  She actually sent me a message in English so we arranged a time to meet.  I came home early to do it as I suspected she'd just be sitting in the parking lot waiting on me while she had other things she could be doing. 

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 02:00:10 pm »

Wait, did you just back up your earlier post by once again quoting the fake post you wrote? 
My main point was that you went on a whole thing, that included quotation marks for things that were never actually said, to shoot down the OP.  Yet, only You Demartino made any of those complaints. 

The especially telling one of your fragile state of mind was this "Also, why did they even think it was damaged? Why did they target my apartment? They just singled me out because I'm a foreigner. The building manager is some ajosshi who has a thin skin towards foreigners."  You again forgot to attribute this paragraph completely to DeMartino as opposed to any foreigner.  Oops!

That's the crux of it. It's what you try and paint every foreigner as thinking anytime they have an issue with something.  Your fan fiction here is quite telling. 

Dude, the post was satirizing the nature of many complainers and moaners and pointing out how at times they themselves are the sources of their own misfortune.

We have people on here that bitch and moan about not being told anything. Then they want to disconnect the apartment notification system.
We have people who bitch and moan about mysterious charges and ordinances that get thrust upon them and they want to disconnect the notification system.
We have people who bitch and moan about problems and often they themselves don't realize that their actions led directly to such things.
We have people who reflexively think that any kind of bad thing or scrutiny is because they are a foreigner, even though it may be due to their actions or have nothing to do with being a foreigner.

The reason my little story probably is getting a few people riled up is that they know that guy or they are that guy. They know that guy who would do something like cut the wires. They know that guy will also rant and rave about how they weren't notified about something. They know that guy who will say something off-hand that causes something like having the repair people or the cops drop by and then blames "racism" or whatever for being singled-out. Why? Because those actions are all linked: They are traits of someone who externalizes blame and is an unreliable narrator.

Then we have people saying that posted notices are sufficient and said I was overlooking them. I then pointed out how I had mentioned them and they had overlooked that, being a perfect example of the principle that often people don't read too closely for details.  Besides, as ESL teachers, aren't we aware of the concept that some people learn through hearing and others are more attuned to writing, hence the need to explain things through multiple senses and formats?

No, I pointed out how most people responding overlooked something and that proves my point and undermines theirs.

Also, it wasn't a fake post. It was an ironic commentary on human nature. As I said before, we all know THAT guy.

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2019, 02:30:43 pm »
Also, it wasn't a fake post. It was an ironic commentary on human nature. As I said before, only I know THAT guy.

FFY

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 04:08:34 pm »
Also, it wasn't a fake post. It was an ironic commentary on human nature. As I said before, only I know THAT guy.

FFY
If you don't know that guy, you're probably that guy.

Is it any surprise that many of the biggest complainers on here are blame-externalizers who seem to constantly run into problems?