Read 3703 times

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Minimum wage is now almost equal to am EPIK starting salary.
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2020, 07:50:26 pm »
The extra $600 temporarily disappearing is like a government shutdown. It won’t last long. Because an election is coming up both parties will throw tons of money at the unemployed. $4k a month for not working is a hell of a lot. So’s $3k. So’s $2k. If it does get reduced to that.
So you'll at least concede that it's not the ordinary benefit that Americans can expect. 
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2020, 07:54:36 pm »
NorthStar:
As my employment in Korea fell through due to the virus, I qualified for the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance AND the $600 a week (including back pay)

I have socked away that money, every week.

I can see how folks would rather collect the money while on the public doll, rather than go back to work.
So ... a quote from 2+ months ago in a different thread in a different section of the site.   Well done, you!
Mr. C is not a bad person, in fact is quite a good person here. One of the best people on this forum if you really look at it
-Mr.DeMartino

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2020, 08:09:48 pm »
As of Friday the average unemployment payout was over $4k a month (in total).

I guess this coming Friday payday it won’t be if Congress doesn’t act soon. (And even if they do, the additional benefit may disappear briefly.)

But a big federal bonus will almost certainly be reinstated soon because of the big election coming up.

For the past few months, Americans have been getting thousands a month to not work. In the coming months, Americans will get thousands a month for not working.

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• raycar
  • Adventurer

• July 12, 2018, 10:12:26 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2020, 09:06:10 pm »
edited
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 09:59:02 pm by raycar »

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2020, 09:14:29 pm »
Can you get unemployment from the Korean government?

• raycar
  • Adventurer

• Busan
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2020, 09:18:19 pm »
edited
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 09:59:17 pm by raycar »

• Mr C
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2020, 09:37:13 pm »
i'm american and haven't been able to get work since this pandemic started.  if i go back to america will i be able to get unemployment + backpay for all these months like that other guy?  i've lived in korea for 20 years and haven't been back all that time.  i really can't risk going back just to apply for unemployment and then getting denied.  plus i'm married here in korea, but I have to try something because at some point the money will be gone and we'll be homeless.
This will partly (maybe largely) depend on if you have kept your tax returns up-to-date. 
-Mr.DeMartino

• raycar
  • Adventurer

• Busan
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2020, 09:43:38 pm »
edited
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:00:01 pm by raycar »

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Mouseville
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2020, 12:40:47 am »
yeah my tax returns are up to date.  the thing is this guy the previous poster referred to who went back and got unemployment + back pay is the ONLY example I've seen of someone doing it.  and i've seen other people who are in the US get denied because they didn't qualify for some reason or another, so i don't know what to believe.  i don't know his story, like maybe he worked in the US the year before and qualified based on that?  i wish there was some place i could get info from but i can't find anything about it online. 

I qualified as a gig-worker, as the pandemic directly influenced my employment. 

I filed my tax return, uploaded it to the state's respective unemployment assistance site and it was finished.  I was only hoping for the amount given, $223 a week but then the additional $600 was added on.  I honestly thought I would not qualify for anything, not even the $1200 stimulus. 

I know a few others who waited WEEKS for their benefits because of various reasons.  I was blessed because I had no problems. 

I don't wish to be on the doll forever, mind you.  It is not that receiving this aid is an incentive to NOT work, but it is an alternative to the shit wages that are paid in the US.  Folks are truly expendable, with NO loyalty from employers (just like in Korea).  I've come to believe that Mike Row simply is out touch when he encourages people to get ANY job, make your self indispencable, etc.  Why?  So an employer can just use-and-abuse you? 

It is actually difficult to get a job, just for the sake of trying to pay a few bills, eat, contribute to rent, etc.  One must  have  "passion" for whichever job is applied for (washing dishes, customer service at 7-11, fast food).  It is ridiculous, in my opinion.  In addition, females have an easier time getting employed...for "mysterious" reasons (just as they do in Korea). 

Here is an example....in my area, there are numerous quasi-teaching jobs, after-school programs paying $7.50-$9 an hour (most are only part time).  Despite no travel being required, one MUST have a car, must do an FBI check, MUST have 3 years experience.  It really is nothing to aim for.  Even substitute teaching positions pay in magic beans.  And (a bit off topic), jobs more related tow hat I want to do are filled with  Bureaucratic nonsense, that it is disheartening.  The alternative teaching license path is a joke....expensive, with a high focus on one's undergraduate GPA (even if you graduated 20 years ago) and for what?  So you can be in a worse situation, dealing with thuggish, self-entitled little shits?  I'm going off topic here, I realize that.  But, it all really adds up to being inspired to just drop out of it all. 

What I have learned, is that employers give ZERO hoot about overseas teaching experience and what it entails.  Besides, the jobs (at least in my area) demand so much (the ones that are available, anyway) but pay so little.  How does one survive working for $9-$12 when the cost of living index measures my area at having to earn between $3K-$4 a month? 

So, can you really blame folks for taking the aid and using it as long as humanly possible?  I can't. 

However, the difference  is....I have saved most of this and not spent it on nonsensical items such TV's, redecorating, nightlife (if any), etc.  I know i'm going to need this $$ so...as long as it is paying out, I'm going to utilize it. 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 01:20:17 am by NorthStar »

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2020, 01:32:14 am »
i'm american and haven't been able to get work since this pandemic started.  if i go back to america will i be able to get unemployment + backpay for all these months like that other guy?  i've lived in korea for 20 years and haven't been back all that time.  i really can't risk going back just to apply for unemployment and then getting denied.  plus i'm married here in korea, but I have to try something because at some point the money will be gone and we'll be homeless.

Sorry to hear about your situation.

Is it really so hard to find freelance / tutoring gigs?

If anything, I would have thought they'd have increased due to parents keeping their kids out of schools and hogwons.

According to what some are saying on here, there should now be more work available to those in-country.
Catch my drift?

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2020, 01:36:05 am »
yeah my tax returns are up to date.  the thing is this guy the previous poster referred to who went back and got unemployment + back pay is the ONLY example I've seen of someone doing it.  and i've seen other people who are in the US get denied because they didn't qualify for some reason or another, so i don't know what to believe.  i don't know his story, like maybe he worked in the US the year before and qualified based on that?  i wish there was some place i could get info from but i can't find anything about it online. 

Are you able to cash out on pension, from Korea?  I empathize with you and I"m sorry you are in this situation. 

• raycar
  • Adventurer

• Busan
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2020, 02:14:13 am »
edited
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:00:28 pm by raycar »

• NorthStar
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Mouseville
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2020, 02:40:08 am »
that has not been my experience.  if you look closely all the job listings on craigslist you'll see they are the same ones day after day.  i guess they can't fill them because they pay so low it's not worth getting out of bed.

True.

CL is filled with jobs that don't exists, by the same SHITBAG Korean recruiters.....in which case, it is not common for them to post who they are or any information linking them to proof that they are legally qualified to be recruiting. 

There is this recent trend that you are now required to provide a video introduction BEFORE these shitbag recruiters will send off your resume. 

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 02:42:38 am by NorthStar »

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2020, 02:08:54 am »
True.

CL is filled with jobs that don't exists, by the same SHITBAG Korean recruiters 

So you're saying that basically jobs have dried up in Korea?  Including tutoring?

Catch my drift?

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2020, 02:24:03 am »
What I have learned, is that employers give ZERO hoot about overseas teaching experience and what it entails.

Have you seen this video? It's about putting a positive spin on overseas teaching experience and what it entails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oes1h-vlJu0

• raycar
  • Adventurer

• Busan
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2020, 07:40:21 am »
edited
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:00:50 pm by raycar »

• stoat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2020, 07:45:52 am »
The death rate for kids from Covid19 is lower than normal flu, get a grip.

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2020, 07:49:10 am »
it is so weird that you'd post that video. that woman in the video looks like the twin of a former male collegue of mine.  they could pass for identical twins, only when she speaks it's a woman's voice coming out of her mouth.  it freaks me out. 

anyway, just the first few minutes of the video lets me know what is wrong with the world.  she says empoyers back home don't know if teaching overseas counts for anything.  counts for anything?  it's what people did with their time and energy to make a living, often for years at a time.  and who are these "employers" who don't know if it counts?  insurance companies scamming the masses when they are most scared and vulnerable?  collection agencies?  big phama  pushing poisons on the masses?  banks?

I think the "employers" back home who wonder weather the professional experiences of their futures slaves "counts" would do better to wonder about what it is THEY are doing with their time and energy to earn a living andif they add something to the equation or if they are just cancerous tumors that need to be removed from society.

the job of english teacher is obsolete and no longer needed.  if you believe the mainstream media and government there is a deadly virus going around.  who in their right mind would expose their kids or themselves to it when you don't need to?  most classes went online last semester.  theses teachers still had jobs because they signed contracts before the pandemic.  they taught from empty classrooms and uploaded videos to the internet.  you don't need to be in korea to do this job and there is no longer a limit to how many students can fit into a physical classroom.  going foward schools don't even need to hire teachers, they can just buy courses from udemy and give standardized tests.

when the current contracts expire many won't be replaced.  the only job for native speakers as english teachers going foward that requires you to physically be there is that of kindergarten teacher, because that job is not about teaching really, it is about babysitting kids all day whole both parents are busy earning a living.

When I finish reading your posts I feel stupider for having done so.

• raycar
  • Adventurer

• Busan
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2020, 07:51:29 am »
edited
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 10:01:05 pm by raycar »