Read 1391 times

• roisin171
  • Waygookin

• February 12, 2019, 01:18:23 am
    • Daegu
After School Club - lesson thread
« on: July 05, 2019, 10:07:21 am »
Making a thread of my After school club lessons incase anyone needs some ideas.
Please feel free to share yours.
They are in no particular order.

Movies Lesson
I discussed genres with my students and asked them what genre they liked. They then guessed the movie genres based on the movie synopsis from IMDB.

They were instructed to make a movie plot based on the 'Script pictures'. I pretend to be a director and will chose the movie I would like to make out of their ideas.

We played 'Scene it' for the last 5 minutes. I don't know who made it; it was on my computer already from the previous teacher.

• roisin171
  • Waygookin

• Daegu
Re: After School Club - lesson thread
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 10:09:12 am »
Movie - part 2

Apologies, the ppt and pictures didn't post with the previous post.

• roisin171
  • Waygookin

• Daegu
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 10:18:45 am »
-YOUR COUNTRY- VS Korea

This was to introduce the students to my country. At the start of the class, I got them to unscramble country names. I showed them some tourism adverts and told them facts to compare my country with Korea.

I told them I would like them to make a poster about Korea (or where they live (Daegu)). I showed them an example that I have made and used in previous school camps with this lesson. (Picture attached). I then put their posters up in the classroom.

• roisin171
  • Waygookin

• Daegu
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 10:24:43 am »
Food Lesson

Students loved this class.

We reviewed actions related to cooking. The students then ordered the pizza recipe instructions. Next I had a surprise for them; I brought some ramen for us to make. They had to tell me the instructions/steps they were following to make the ramen in English. While we ate / waited for the noodles to cook, we usd the end of this ppt to guess what dish belongs to which country.
Great lesson. Just make sure you have access to hot water or a kettle!

• roisin171
  • Waygookin

• Daegu
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 10:40:04 am »
Inventions

This was a great class.

I had a handout out with inventions for the students to match up to their inventor. Unfortunately, I deleted the file so cannot upload it.

The ppt is a mix of some ideas I've seen on here from textbook lessons that mention crazy inventions.

The students used the 'Launching a new product' sheet to desgin and then draw their product on B4 paper. They presented their invention and I got the students to ask them questions about it. I will ask the students if they would use any of the new products, and what they thought was the best.

• roisin171
  • Waygookin

• Daegu
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 12:16:58 pm »
Time Travel

I've linked the videos I used in the PPT incase they don't work when you download this.

The students discussed where and when they would like to travel to in the past. They also discussed the future.

I made them be fortune tellers and predict each others futures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY2w2-CAKgM - 1955
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d68yRIE9OvQ - 2015

• roisin171
  • Waygookin

• Daegu
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 12:24:01 pm »
Music

File is too big to upload. Please follow the link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YLZopQveminaddH09ucQPATY8wLZi6fX

At the start of this class, I asked all of them their favourite songs and made not of them - these will be used during the end when we do a music review (see attached document). They will review each song that you wrote down.

They play a game of guessing if the song is A pop or K pop. Bonus points if they guess the song name and artist. Next, they list as many music styles that they can think of and then discuss phrases they can use when talking about music.

• roisin171
  • Waygookin

• Daegu
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 01:32:57 pm »
Make your own music video

This one is a lot of work for the students, and yourself.

The class will cover 2 sessions.

Discuss the different filiming styles with the students (links are provided in the ppt as examples). You can talk about how you make music videos and all the people who are involved.

They will then plan to remake a music video. The first session will be planning it. The 2nd session is the filming. The students will need to talk to eachother and yourself to let everyone know the final plan or if there are any last minute changes.

You'll need a camera and be able to edit the recordings for this session.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 01:43:26 pm by roisin171 »

• roisin171
  • Waygookin

• Daegu
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 03:07:28 pm »
Welcome back & The World

This is the first after school club lesson for the new semester.

The ppt contains a skittles game where the students will answer a question based on the the sweet they pick.

The next part is about the world. They will name as many countries as they can (the link to the website is in the notes section on the ppt). Next, they will lable on a map where they want to go. On sperate pieces of small paper, they will write what they want to do there. These pieces will be attached to the map (attached, print it on B4 or bigger) by string. They can add drawings to make it more colourful. Get them to tell you what they want to do as they write it.

UPDATE: this lesson went extremely well. Students loved the skittle game. We had a good laugh doing it. Will use again. I have attached my example of the map I showed the students with what I want them to do. Also attached the final version so you can see what they made.

Materials: tape, string, scissors, colouring pens, card, map on A3
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 02:14:39 pm by roisin171 »

• roisin171
  • Waygookin

• Daegu
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 03:16:07 pm »
STOP MOTION MOVIE LESSON

This topic can cover 2 and a half classes.

Class 1: (my students were facinated by stop motion movies from my previous music video lesson) Re-introduce stop motion moveis and show examples (links in ppt). YOU WILL NEED TO BUY PLAYDOUGH IF THIS IS THE DIRECTION YOU WANT TO GO IN. Explain they will make a stop motion movie in the next class. Give them the attached template to make a story board.

Class 2: Make the movie. Make sure you have materials they want. Decent camera or use your phone and download 'Stop Motion Studio' on the app store. It's free.

Class 3: (You will need to prepare the video between the week) Students will watch their movie for the first half of the lesson and discuss the process of making it.  For the rest of the lesson, I'm going to let them watch 2 short movies and do a worksheet.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 03:17:46 pm by roisin171 »

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2019, 08:28:53 am »
These lessons sounds so fun! I'm just curious but what grade is your afterschool?

• roisin171
  • Waygookin

• Daegu
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 07:46:38 am »
These lessons sounds so fun! I'm just curious but what grade is your afterschool?

I teach 1st and 2nd graders for the after school club. They are mixed levels. I know 2 of my students find it all easy, but they translate stuff for the lower level students, which challenges them