Read 405 times

What to do with a budget...
« on: December 03, 2019, 03:15:12 pm »
When you're school asks if you need any materials for next year, what do you tell them? One of my co-teachers asked if I wanted to buy any games/resource books/materials for next year, but I honestly can't even think of what I'd need. I tend to do a lot of card games, so I said maybe a pack of cards would help (then I could assign a word or phrase to a number and not have to remake cards for every lesson). Other than that I have 0 ideas right now... any suggestions?

What would you do with the $$$?

Re: What to do with a budget...
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2019, 05:53:27 pm »
Card decks (classic, or stuff like UNO) -- can also use these for minute-to-win-it type of activities
Cheap versions of Jenga
Blank wooden cubes (colored or plain)
Ping pong balls
Small bean bags
Dice (doesn't have to be your classic 6-sided die, either, I've been using DnD dice for choose-your-own-adventure type of game or activity formats)
An egg timer or something similar with a very visible countdown and audible alarm -- or an hour glass if you want to get old-timey fancy.
Index cards
Popsicle sticks (colored or plain)
Post-it notes (love using these to play guess who games).

All of the above can be used or recycled for different activities or games.

Would be a good opportunity to get one or two good children's books to base projects on, too. Not sure if your school(s) are as gungho about that sort of thing as mine are.

I've seen KTs get things like Scrabble and Boggle, but these cost a lot and have pieces that are easy to lose... also, I don't ever see them get used much, lol. They could definitely get incorporated into the classroom in various ways, but I'm not so sure they're worth the cost just for that. I'd only have them for students to play on free days, personally.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 09:22:25 pm by Chinguetti »

• 303lmc
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 08:49:02 am »
i would get more crayons, markers, construction paper, glue, stuff for crafts if they let you. my VP doesn't seem to want to let me buy much for crafts.
I also wish I had ordered 2 of the Harry Potter UNO game as 5th & 6th grade fight over who gets to use them, As well as the fish shaped Go Fish game for 3rd grade.
do you need white boards, white board markers and erasers for games?
pencils and erasers so there are no excuses to not participate in class.
wet tissues for cleaning the desks.
can you buy props for show time play acting? I bought new wigs , hats , head bands, fairy wings etc I would like to buy more if I could. :)

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2019, 03:06:57 pm »
Good ideas, though some of these are ideally suited for elementary than for middle school. 

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2019, 11:15:53 am »
Good ideas, though some of these are ideally suited for elementary than for middle school. 

I agree, but when it comes to doing certain types of projects of which ESL students of all levels are expected to take part in, sometimes you have to get real basic so that they can all actually accomplish the task while also still producing something presentable that the school would be happy to display somewhere.

It sounds weird for middle school students to do a book report on "The Giving Tree", for example, but they don't have enough time to read more age-appropriate books in my classes, and most students don't have the ability to adequately discuss the content of those books anyway. At least not without cheating and using a translation software. Plus, children's books can have a lot to unpack and discuss, too, even for adults. This is where a lot of my more advanced students can really shine.

The fact that they also have to create posters and other artwork to go along with those reports is more of a school criteria because the school wants something to hang on the walls or to show off at some kind of expo. Plus, it's kind of a mental break for the students, especially the lower level kids. Helps them to visualize what they're trying to say a bit more, or to give their discussion points a little more clarity.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 12:20:30 pm by Chinguetti »