Read 4601 times

Re: You need to make 28M to be bottom of the barrel
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2019, 12:57:48 pm »
I think the hardest part of finding one of these good paying corporate or after school jobs is networking and knowing someone who can get your foot in the door. It's not like there are all that many consistently reputable job listing sites here for expats. At least not that I know of.
look on worknplay. that's pretty much where i get most of my jobs

Hmm, okay. Thanks!
also, have a look on facebook groups, such as "part time jobs in seouth korea" etc. i'd recommend just shooting off your CV to all the recruiters you can find - the biggest ones being YBM and Carrot. then they'll send you any suitable jobs that come up. over the years i have probably met all of the recruiters that are about, and get sent new positions every day. so i can choose to be picky and only pick ones that i really want

But, I mean, ideally I would want to avoid temp jobs and get something long-term. I'm not sure I really understand how it works, but doesn't sorting through new positions and constantly having to adjust to new workplaces get exhausting?
well, each contract is usually 3 months long. but you can just keep working at the same place, usually (signing new contracts). you'll just go to different offices and teach for an hour. sometimes general english, sometimes business, sometimes something else (presentations, etc)
pretty easy going, students are always nice. but i prefer teaching adults anyway, so it's good for me

but, yeah, it's just part-time work. that's why i have a more "permanent" job (elementary school) in the afternoons.

Hmm. Interesting. I'll look into it. I'm getting extraordinarily burnt out on my current job. I hope the BasedGod hears my prayers.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2019, 02:55:28 pm »
I feel like there’s a lot less teachers here in cheongju at least. Honestly recruiters here are even offering 60k an hour for business english and 70k if its out of town F visa required, most hagwons are still lowballing here though. The social scene has dropped off a lot here too about half the expat dive bars have closed here and the crowd seems a lot smaller each and every year, it could be to the fact that the stagnant wages have reduced peoples spending money or there could be less teachers. Its good for me now that I have an F visa, I stay busy and this month ill clear somewhere between 7-8 million before taxes. I feel theres definitely a shortage of teachers. Ive never been this swamped with work before and it gets more intense every year.

T.C.

Yes, several years ago, even many F visas also struggled.  I ruled out getting married and settling down.  I figured Korea wasn't worth it anymore.  I had no way of knowing whether it would recover or not and I'd have to jump ship.  I felt like those dudes who married a K chick in the 2000's decade thinking they'd roll in the dough got bait and switch.  (Obviously marrying for love whatever important too.  But women liked me back home and I had no Asian fetish.  I liked Korean women too.)

Good for you mother "F' ers (visas) that there has been a recovery.  AS far as the hakwons go, the obly thing I can think of is some kind of collectivism.  Businesses here form cartels that would be illegal back home.  So, the hakwons many of them join a group and recommended cutting the flight back and they all did it together as the recession years dragged on, cutting just because they should,  I assume some collective and stubborn effort is trying to block the wages or something.  Supply and demand dictates those wages should go up, especially if you have a year or two experience teaching.  (Those folks claiming a hakwon is for no experience will be the same who bitch when the inexperienced teacher can't teach.)

Anyways, making over 20 million won a month, the hakwon owner can spare a few hundred thousand won to raise the salary and maybe some for the Korean teacher too.  I am assuming however, they can't hold out for ever.  The biggest driver of us is if the moms want us and will take their kid elsewhere.  The hakwons will eventually have no choice and even the public schools will have to listen as most politicians pander to demands (unless your name is Donald Trump which most politicians are not).  They will eventually have to cave.  But it can be sped up if some of you would take a harder line with recruiters and hakwon owners.  (Pretend you want the job for a low wage to bypass the recruiter if they act like a block then speak to the boss or manager directly and demand the much higher salary.  Be prepared to walk away and even be unemployed for a short time.  Leave your number, they'll call.)

The ball is getting into our court for hakwons and we can demand more.  The recession in America is over.  No more flooded market.  EPIK is still a bureaucracy.  The question is will EPIK get ahead of the curve and raise the salaries soon or fall behind it and start losing teachers?  Seoul (SMOE) is already quite disgraceful for pay and benefits.  Also they are the strictest for micromanaging some very ridiculous contract rules.  If you want to live in Seoul, go hakwon, if you can negotiate a bit of a higher salary.  You can even sleep in during the morning. 

Other countries are forking over the cash. 

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2019, 03:02:15 pm »
I ruled out getting married and settling down.  I figured Korea wasn't worth it anymore.  I had no way of knowing whether it would recover or not and I'd have to jump ship.  I felt like those dudes who married a K chick in the 2000's decade thinking they'd roll in the dough got bait and switch.

Incidentally, the lower the adjusted for inflation wages go, the less likely a Korean woman will be to want to marry you.

(Seems like less and less Korean women are marrying Western English teachers these days.)

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2019, 03:16:51 pm »
I ruled out getting married and settling down.  I figured Korea wasn't worth it anymore.  I had no way of knowing whether it would recover or not and I'd have to jump ship.  I felt like those dudes who married a K chick in the 2000's decade thinking they'd roll in the dough got bait and switch.

Less and less are getting married these days period.  As for foreigners, I'd say less and less are marrying that tall guy with blond hair and very average looking dude anymore.  Those days have sailed.  They will have to find another country where white equals rich.  AS for me, I may have disappointed some women by avoiding commitment.  My nearly middle 3 range is ok for now.  But I guess I still get stares of attraction from different age groups of women here.  (Thankfully younger Koreans are less status conscious like in the old days.)

Incidentally, the lower the adjusted for inflation wages go, the less likely a Korean woman will be to want to marry you.

(Seems like less and less Korean women are marrying Western English teachers these days.)

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #64 on: July 05, 2019, 04:29:31 pm »

No worries with that...I find Korean women to be quite slight, one dimensional and without much sexual appeal.

Besides, the only Western guys they go for are the ones they can push around.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 04:36:18 pm by NorthStar »

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2019, 05:29:36 pm »
Even older and more qualified people struggle to make more than $30,000 a year

Median for a white American male 25 years or older: $57,304

Median for a Asian American male 25 years or older: $70,148

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/wkyeng.t03.htm

$30,000 a year is way below average.

• Periwinkle
  • Veteran

• December 13, 2010, 06:34:34 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2019, 12:45:57 pm »
There's no shortage. Except for maybe a shortage in the kind of teachers schools want, which is young hot females.

Wages in the United States are very high.

https://www.bls.gov/emp/chart-unemployment-earnings-education.htm

However, if less than one in thousands comes here (and of course there are outliers everywhere), that's enough to fill every position and more.

You really think Americans would come to Korea knowing they could make more money back home? Hell no. Most new university grads know they'd be making like $12 an hour at best and paying $600 or so a month for the privilege of being someone's roommate. Even older and more qualified people struggle to make more than $30,000 a year, while the rent goes up and up. Everyone who comes to Korea to work has crunched the numbers, and everyone knows they'd be better off in Korea than back home. If they didn't know this, they'd go back home because Korea is a polluted, loud, annoying place with bad food.

I'll never understand why a certain segment of Waygook always go on about how wages back home are so much better. Probably bitter lifers who haven't had to look for work or an apartment back home in a decade and still think rents are at Great Recession levels. If things were better back home you'd be there instead of complaining about "beta cucks keeping muh wagez down" on Waygook. Yeah unemployment in the US is low but so are wages and apartment vacancies. And it's even worse in other countries. The UK never really emerged from the recession yet guess what, rents keep going up. Here in New Zealand wages are pitiful yet guess what, rents keep going up.

No truer words ever spoken. Say it again and again. Wages in the states are high but still not competitive with the cost of living.  Most people with common sense choose to reside where the standard of living is better which entails more than just how much is in a paycheck. The argument over stagnant wages in Korea is without merit.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2019, 01:18:48 pm »
What percentage of Americans are in South Korea on an E2 visa?

1 in 50,000.

That's not that many.

It's a minuscule amount.

The proportion of Koreans desperate to get into the United States is so much higher.

Why do you think that is?

« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2019, 01:41:13 pm »
What percentage of Americans are in South Korea on an E2 visa?

1 in 50,000.

that's not a percentage

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2019, 03:02:36 pm »
0.00002%

« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2019, 04:56:34 pm »
Even older and more qualified people struggle to make more than $30,000 a year

Median for a white American male 25 years or older: $57,304

Median for a Asian American male 25 years or older: $70,148

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/wkyeng.t03.htm

$30,000 a year is way below average.

Medians and averages don't matter for most people because they get skewed upwards by the rich. As I've already shown, 50% of Americans make less than $30,000 a year. The vast majority of Americans likely to be teaching English in Korea know full well that back home they'd be a lot more likely to be making $30,000 a year than $50,000+ a year. New graduates especially. Otherwise why the hell would you be in Korea, suffering through the pollution, the noise, the bad food, etc? People need to stop doing the grass is greener thing from Korea when you aren't back in the US looking for a job or an apartment.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2019, 05:00:46 pm »
There's no shortage. Except for maybe a shortage in the kind of teachers schools want, which is young hot females.

Wages in the United States are very high.

https://www.bls.gov/emp/chart-unemployment-earnings-education.htm

However, if less than one in thousands comes here (and of course there are outliers everywhere), that's enough to fill every position and more.

You really think Americans would come to Korea knowing they could make more money back home? Hell no. Most new university grads know they'd be making like $12 an hour at best and paying $600 or so a month for the privilege of being someone's roommate. Even older and more qualified people struggle to make more than $30,000 a year, while the rent goes up and up. Everyone who comes to Korea to work has crunched the numbers, and everyone knows they'd be better off in Korea than back home. If they didn't know this, they'd go back home because Korea is a polluted, loud, annoying place with bad food.

I'll never understand why a certain segment of Waygook always go on about how wages back home are so much better. Probably bitter lifers who haven't had to look for work or an apartment back home in a decade and still think rents are at Great Recession levels. If things were better back home you'd be there instead of complaining about "beta cucks keeping muh wagez down" on Waygook. Yeah unemployment in the US is low but so are wages and apartment vacancies. And it's even worse in other countries. The UK never really emerged from the recession yet guess what, rents keep going up. Here in New Zealand wages are pitiful yet guess what, rents keep going up.

No truer words ever spoken. Say it again and again. Wages in the states are high but still not competitive with the cost of living.  Most people with common sense choose to reside where the standard of living is better which entails more than just how much is in a paycheck. The argument over stagnant wages in Korea is without merit.

I have been, but all the chuds on Waygook have this fantasy that things are way better back home, but that also everyone on an E-2 in Korea should be making 3m a month. They need to realize that globally, wages aren't keeping up with the rise in housing prices. It's the same in the US, Canada, the UK, New Zealand, and even in South Korea. Go look at rents for US cities on Craigslist, it's scary how much higher rents are than just a few years ago. Wages are not keeping up.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2019, 05:34:14 pm »
Housing prices are the result of supply and demand.

Who's buying all the houses? People whose income is going up.

Earnings are going way up worldwide. It's a fact. Just not for Western English teachers in Korea.

Minimum wage in California: $12 an hour. In San Francisco $15.59 an hour.

South Korea's minimum wage:
1988: 462.5 won
1989: 600
1990: 690
1991: 820
1992: 925
1993: 1,005
1994: 1,085
1995: 1,170
1996: 1,275
1997: 1,400
1998: 1,485
1999: 1,525
2000: 1,600
2001: 1,865
2002: 2,100
2003: 2,275
2004: 2,510
2005: 2,840
2006: 3,100
2007: 3,480
2008: 3,770
2009: 4,000
2010: 4,110
2011: 4,320
2012: 4,580
2013: 4,860
2014: 5,210
2015: 5,580
2016: 6,030
2017: 6,470
2018: 7,530
2019: 8,350

Minimum wage more than doubled in the past ten years! (Prices overall just about doubled, too.)

In South Korea, the average wage of a doctor is now above 13 million a month.

Pilots, 10 million a month.

Wages are rising for low level laborers and professionals.

« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2019, 06:12:40 pm »
Wow..  No wonder my GF left me for a fooking car mechanic..  Heard he makes 5m a month..    English teachers are no more appealing than cash register attendants...   Welp, time embrace single forever life I guess.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2019, 09:20:39 pm »
Minimum wage more than doubled in the past ten years! (Prices overall just about doubled, too.)

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2019, 09:25:08 pm »
Wow..  No wonder my GF left me for a fooking car mechanic..  Heard he makes 5m a month..    English teachers are no more appealing than cash register attendants...   Welp, time embrace single forever life I guess.

..must have been true love.

Sorry to hear that, though.

« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2019, 11:54:53 am »
Welp, time embrace single forever life I guess.
Or do what my mate does and pretend you're an engineer. The man's a visionary, spinning more plates than he knows how to handle.

• kobayashi
  • Expert Waygook

• August 18, 2016, 11:14:47 am
    • Nibiru
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2019, 06:25:39 pm »
saw this interesting thread on reddit a few months back:

According to the Labor Standards Act, an employee gets one full paid day off per full week worked. So basically if you work for 40 hours, you get paid for 48 hours. There are 209 working hours in a standard month, which brings monthly minimum wage to W1,745,590. Employers must also pay contributions to things like health insurance, as well as severance pay for minimum-wage workers.

For comparison, the starting wage for EPIK in Seoul, Busan, Incheon, Daegu, and Gyeonggi-do is 1.8 million (Level 3). If you start at Level 2, the pay starts at 2.0 million. EPIK claims they don't hire anyone at Level 3 anymore, but that category does still exist. And Level 2 requires BA +TESOL/CELTA cert, or BA + teacher's license, or BA in Education/ESL/etc.

http://www.epik.go.kr/contents.do?contentsNo=49&menuNo=278

So someone with a 4-year undergraduate degree and an additional certification on top of that is making just barely above what a Korean kid with no degree could be making flipping burgers at McDonald's. Really puts things into perspective.

the Moon administration plans to increase minimum wage even further to 10,000 Won by 2020, which means from next year a minimum-wage worker will make 20,090,000 Won per month for a 40-hour work week - actually more than the starting wage for a 1st year EPIK teacher in a major metropolitan area.
https://www.reddit.com/r/korea/comments/au72zu/minimum_wage_is_now_almost_equal_to_the_epik/

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2019, 08:39:27 pm »

Possible but remember Koreans are the biggest Bull Sh*tter's on Earth... they love to exaggerate this kind of stuff.

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2019, 07:25:13 am »
saw this interesting thread on reddit a few months back:

According to the Labor Standards Act, an employee gets one full paid day off per full week worked. So basically if you work for 40 hours, you get paid for 48 hours. There are 209 working hours in a standard month, which brings monthly minimum wage to W1,745,590. Employers must also pay contributions to things like health insurance, as well as severance pay for minimum-wage workers.

For comparison, the starting wage for EPIK in Seoul, Busan, Incheon, Daegu, and Gyeonggi-do is 1.8 million (Level 3). If you start at Level 2, the pay starts at 2.0 million. EPIK claims they don't hire anyone at Level 3 anymore, but that category does still exist. And Level 2 requires BA +TESOL/CELTA cert, or BA + teacher's license, or BA in Education/ESL/etc.

http://www.epik.go.kr/contents.do?contentsNo=49&menuNo=278

So someone with a 4-year undergraduate degree and an additional certification on top of that is making just barely above what a Korean kid with no degree could be making flipping burgers at McDonald's. Really puts things into perspective.

the Moon administration plans to increase minimum wage even further to 10,000 Won by 2020, which means from next year a minimum-wage worker will make 20,090,000 Won per month for a 40-hour work week - actually more than the starting wage for a 1st year EPIK teacher in a major metropolitan area.
https://www.reddit.com/r/korea/comments/au72zu/minimum_wage_is_now_almost_equal_to_the_epik/

But as usual there is no mention of the free apartment we're given.  I don't know why this gets conveniently left out all the time lol.