Read 283 times

Applying directly to MOE with prior experience
« on: July 02, 2019, 02:16:23 am »
Hey all, once upon a time poster here looking for some info/relevant experiences. Basically I came in through EPIK back in 2010 and worked in Busan for 8 years, 7 of which were at the same school. Left in February of last year, with a Korean lady who is now my wife. Been in my home country ever since, but we're starting to think maybe we'd be happier back in good old Korea. I'd be happy to come back through public schools but don't want to play the roulette of not knowing where in Korea I'd be placed if applying through EPIK. My wife is from Busan and that's where we want to go back to. So basically I'd like to hear from anyone who applied directly to an MOE. Was it easy to get a job, what was the interview process like (especially if you'd already worked for them or some other MOE in Korea) , etc?
If it helps any I always got on great with all my co-teachers and I'm sure I could get a good reference from any of them. Also my job for the last year has been a mix of in class and online tutoring (not English, Software Development, but teaching is teaching!). Cheers guys.

Re: Applying directly to MOE with prior experience
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2019, 06:57:17 am »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 07:36:19 am »
why not just get your F6 visa and work a few part-time jobs? will be better pay and shorter hours

but a few years ago, i applied directly (after having worked previously for an MOE) and it was really easy. i even got placed at my old school.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 12:28:00 pm »
Some local ed offices may be more strict on that now and want you to go through the EPIK sh!tshow.  But you may be able to ask them to look out for your application once EPIK approves it.  I think they qualify it and send it to POEs who then agree to hire a teacher.  You can request the province or metro city though no gaurantees.  There are still 3 or 4 provinces that use specific recruiters for their provinces. 

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 04:38:56 pm »
why not just get your F6 visa and work a few part-time jobs? will be better pay and shorter hours

but a few years ago, i applied directly (after having worked previously for an MOE) and it was really easy. i even got placed at my old school.

When you applied directly did you just apply with a CV or did you first send an email to find out about the process/test the waters a bit?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 05:23:01 pm »
there were some job postings for teachers who had previous experience with teaching for SMOE. plus, i kind of the knew the co-ordinator and he managed to hook me up with the job and get me my old school back (i guess that was in his interest too, not really doing me a favour)

can't remember what the website was, but it was for seoul specifically

try getting in contact with your MOE co-ordinator, is my recommendation