Read 2195 times

• bb459
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2019, 06:19:42 pm
    • South Korea
Elementary 3rd-6th grade Summer Camp Ideas (small school)
« on: July 01, 2019, 08:19:04 am »
Hey all!
This will be my first time running a Summer Camp at a public school in Korea.
School gave me 5 days at the end of July for English Camp.
Thinking of having the kids vote for their favorite theme?

I know only I will know my school culture and context best, and if there is another thread for this
let me know. But in general, what are some of your past victories (and failures lol) when it comes to
these camps?

Thinking arts & crafts based. Safari, Harry Potter, Superhero, lots of ideas.

What advice would you give for a 1st timer?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Elementary 3rd-6th grade Summer Camp Ideas (small school)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 10:36:11 am »
For my first and second camps I did Charlie and the Chocolate Factory camp which they really enjoyed. It's easiest to break things down by days, so first day was character day and golden ticket hunt with clues, second day was descriptive words and body parts + character creation (oppadoll/unniedoll apps), third day was using their created characters in comic strips and watching what happens in the factory. Fourth day taste/flavors with real wonka candy, fifth day review/party/movie finale. I did this camp for both middle and elementary school and just adjusted the vocab levels, breaking things down by day worked out well for both!

I personally haven't had much luck with crafts or cooking, things never turn out that well with my classes and it always leaves a huge mess but it could just be me. The only thing that's worked well so far is s'mores.
Some people have had success with music-oriented things (pop songs camp or dance camp, for example) because it's very active but I haven't tried anything like that yet. Currently thinking of doing a Lion King camp tho, will see how it goes

• bb459
  • Veteran

• South Korea
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 12:23:17 pm »
For my first and second camps I did Charlie and the Chocolate Factory camp which they really enjoyed. It's easiest to break things down by days, so first day was character day and golden ticket hunt with clues, second day was descriptive words and body parts + character creation (oppadoll/unniedoll apps), third day was using their created characters in comic strips and watching what happens in the factory. Fourth day taste/flavors with real wonka candy, fifth day review/party/movie finale. I did this camp for both middle and elementary school and just adjusted the vocab levels, breaking things down by day worked out well for both!

I personally haven't had much luck with crafts or cooking, things never turn out that well with my classes and it always leaves a huge mess but it could just be me. The only thing that's worked well so far is s'mores.
Some people have had success with music-oriented things (pop songs camp or dance camp, for example) because it's very active but I haven't tried anything like that yet. Currently thinking of doing a Lion King camp tho, will see how it goes

wow!
great stuff. thank you! Lion King camp sounds doooope

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 11:48:10 am »
I did a safari camp last year based on a camp I found here and it went really well. I used it for 3rd and 4th grade students for 5 days of 2 hours each ending with the lion king movie.
Definitely a lot of fun ideas with some good craft and game potential. Here's a link to the camp:
https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=94491.msg602919#msg602919

• 303lmc
  • Waygookin

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2019, 12:07:33 pm »
i

I already have told them what I'm doing for Summer, but would love to know if you have any links or info, PPTs etc...from your Charlie and Chocolate camp?! I love that movie and it sounds like a fun camp to do for Winter.

• 303lmc
  • Waygookin

• March 05, 2019, 05:23:12 pm
    • Gwangju
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 12:10:31 pm »
oh yea, and I forgot to comment. there's an index  of camps listed if you search. I decided to do a bug camp for 1/2 & 3/4 graders and a hollywood/movies camp for 5/6. someone did Harry Potter last year  otherwise I would consider it.
I'm not going to cook but we will do crafts and draw, because I love to do crafts!
both camps i am doing were listed on the index and there's some great ideas for it already.

• bb459
  • Veteran

• South Korea
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 07:56:16 am »
I did a safari camp last year based on a camp I found here and it went really well. I used it for 3rd and 4th grade students for 5 days of 2 hours each ending with the lion king movie.
Definitely a lot of fun ideas with some good craft and game potential. Here's a link to the camp:
https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=94491.msg602919#msg602919

oh yea, and I forgot to comment. there's an index  of camps listed if you search. I decided to do a bug camp for 1/2 & 3/4 graders and a hollywood/movies camp for 5/6. someone did Harry Potter last year  otherwise I would consider it.
I'm not going to cook but we will do crafts and draw, because I love to do crafts!
both camps i am doing were listed on the index and there's some great ideas for it already.

sweet! thank you both so much!

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 01:39:38 pm »
I already have told them what I'm doing for Summer, but would love to know if you have any links or info, PPTs etc...from your Charlie and Chocolate camp?! I love that movie and it sounds like a fun camp to do for Winter.

Sorry took me a while to compile everything but here's my google drive link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1g1BdWoMAuJhdlrYoqSw_zTZgjKkClTY_?usp=sharing

I did this camp at a middle school and an elementary school so there's materials for both. The middle school folder also has ideas listed for other camps which may be helpful (Avatar: The Last Airbender camp, around the world camp, popular music camp)! Not everything is exact (especially the lesson plans) and my budget for the middle school was insane, about 3,000,000 won that I had to spend so if you don't have that kind of budget I'd stick with the elementary school stuff and just raise the difficulty...my school quite literally actually bought me a cotton candy machine in order to get rid of this money lol.
I hope it's helpful!

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 09:58:10 am »
I did a cooking camp and a pokemon camp that both worked well.

The pokemon camp I took most the materials from here and Spam and adapted them for my students.  There are so many crafts you can make and all the students like pokemon.

• bb459
  • Veteran

• South Korea
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 01:48:14 pm »

Sorry took me a while to compile everything but here's my google drive link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1g1BdWoMAuJhdlrYoqSw_zTZgjKkClTY_?usp=sharing

I did this camp at a middle school and an elementary school so there's materials for both. The middle school folder also has ideas listed for other camps which may be helpful (Avatar: The Last Airbender camp, around the world camp, popular music camp)! Not everything is exact (especially the lesson plans) and my budget for the middle school was insane, about 3,000,000 won that I had to spend so if you don't have that kind of budget I'd stick with the elementary school stuff and just raise the difficulty...my school quite literally actually bought me a cotton candy machine in order to get rid of this money lol.
I hope it's helpful!
I did a cooking camp and a pokemon camp that both worked well.

The pokemon camp I took most the materials from here and Spam and adapted them for my students.  There are so many crafts you can make and all the students like pokemon.

great stuff!
thank you all for your input

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 02:39:59 pm »
Minor note: if a school asks you to have a period of "cooking", they likely mean they want snacks made that don't require any heat/cooking.

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 01:36:43 pm »
Minor note: if a school asks you to have a period of "cooking", they likely mean they want snacks made that don't require any heat/cooking.

I would say case by case because at 2 of my previous schools we were allowed use ovens to make cookies/ mini pizzas etc
Perhaps just ask your co teacher if they have cooking facilites and if you and the kids are allowed use them.

• sofoulini
  • Waygookin

• March 22, 2013, 10:44:32 pm
    • , South Korea
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 07:45:05 am »
As a cooking class during summer camp I always do papingsu with them. My school bought the previous years the ice machine to make ice flakes and we just buy the ingredients each time. The students love it! 

• CMC2668
  • Veteran

• May 07, 2012, 01:08:26 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2019, 08:05:15 am »
Here is a good activity for review / extra time - It takes about 30 minutes. It's a 'Top Five Quiz'. Each question has multiple possible answers. Students must write down just one answer. If their answer is in the top five, the students get points. I hope it helps.

https://youtu.be/c7sOl3h3clk

• bb459
  • Veteran

• South Korea
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 01:02:43 pm »
Here is a good activity for review / extra time - It takes about 30 minutes. It's a 'Top Five Quiz'. Each question has multiple possible answers. Students must write down just one answer. If their answer is in the top five, the students get points. I hope it helps.

Oh I love these types of games!
thank you

• CMC2668
  • Veteran

• south korea
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2019, 09:42:39 am »

Oh I love these types of games!
thank you

Your welcome. I will make more like this with other questions in the future. :)

• Koter
  • Adventurer

• April 28, 2011, 12:40:55 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2019, 12:23:29 pm »
Something like this always works as a filler in camps or even in regular class.

Even from 3rd grade they are into BTS, but definitely a winner for fifth and sixth graders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hueDJkcDsrw&t=14s

• CMC2668
  • Veteran

• south korea
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 03:51:13 pm »
Here is another 'Top 5 quiz' with another 10 questions. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngwo5muPKSQ

• bb459
  • Veteran

• South Korea
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2019, 07:57:05 am »
Keep em coming!
Thanks everybody