Read 2163 times

Re: Korea #9 most expensive
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2019, 01:37:41 pm »
I don't get the K-pop bashing.  I mean, I do understand why those of us who are older wouldn't get it.  It's mostly out of ignorance though.  I wanted to know why it was so popular and came up with a lot of reasons why that make sense to this generation.  I know now why it wouldn't make sense to older generations, and rather than belittle it, I've accepted it for what it is to the people that love it.  Just like our parents belittled us for listening to rap or grunge rock, it's not because it was an inferior musical medium, they just didn't make an effort to understand it.

No...not out of ignorance.  But from NOT wanting to be ear-raped by noise....

Okay, but that's just personal preference.  I think EDM is annoying and makes me nauseous, but I completely understand why it has traction.  It's just not for me.  Same with death metal.  People go to absurd levels to bash k-pop, which is ironic considering it's being emulated everywhere nowadays.  I watched an English group the other day that I could have sworn was a k-pop group.  I'm not a k-pop supporter by any means.  I'd still rather listen to my go to alternative rock and country, but I made the effort to see what the draw was for many foreign k-pop fans and their answers make sense. 
If you look at the majority of people who have an issue, they skew demographically in a certain direction. The primary factor being age. I think a lot of people still think they're young and haven't accepted that people have moved on to Kpop, rap, and EDM and a bunch of artists they have no idea who they are.

Some people age gracefully, others don't.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2019, 03:00:29 pm »
I don't get the K-pop bashing.  I mean, I do understand why those of us who are older wouldn't get it.  It's mostly out of ignorance though.  I wanted to know why it was so popular and came up with a lot of reasons why that make sense to this generation.  I know now why it wouldn't make sense to older generations, and rather than belittle it, I've accepted it for what it is to the people that love it.  Just like our parents belittled us for listening to rap or grunge rock, it's not because it was an inferior musical medium, they just didn't make an effort to understand it.

Yeah, a lot of people on here are just bashing it without giving any legitimate reason for thinking it's objectively bad. If someone had cited how the K-Pop idols are basically living under slave contracts and are subject to all sorts of abuse, it'd be another thing. But saying it's "ear-rape" and noise is just... Silly? Any kind of music can be that way if you just turn up the volume...

This is also based on an assumption that grads are coming here for that sole purpose. Nevermind the good pay, benefits and opportunities that come with the job.
The World Ends With You

• stoat
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2019, 04:47:29 pm »
That kind of music - manufactured bands aimed at the teenage market - has always been looked down on more than others. I'm not sure the age of its critics has much to do with it. 

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2019, 05:23:00 pm »
I don't get the K-pop bashing. 

It's soulless manufactured zombie music for teenagers, but Korea's eternal Small Man Syndrome means it gets treated as a national treasure and endlessly promoted by the Korean government. Imagine the Backstreet Boys acting as official ambassadors for the US government.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2019, 05:24:22 pm »
the fans (especially BTS fans) seem absolutely rabid too

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2019, 06:40:32 pm »
That kind of music - manufactured bands aimed at the teenage market - has always been looked down on more than others. I'm not sure the age of its critics has much to do with it.
I don't see nearly as many people under the age of 35 blowing a gasket over it. Basically if anyone listens to either rap or pop or EDM, they're probably fine with at least some Kpop.

I dunno, the whole anti-Kpop stuff in a way comes across as the sad group of people who felt so insecure about Disco music, they decided to blow up a crate of records and then riot during a baseball game. Similar demographics, similar tensions about a changing world, similar musical criticisms, similar style criticisms (particularly thinly-veiled homophobia and bigotry).

The young crowd all likes their Kpop and the EDM and their Cardi B and all that. Good for them. Let them enjoy what they enjoy. I had my day with 2Pac, Backstreet Boys, Seo Taiji, and Smashing Pumpkins. They've got theirs. Good for them. Them liking something different doesn't make me feel angry and insecure.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 06:42:32 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2019, 06:44:00 pm »
It's soulless manufactured zombie music for teenagers, but Korea's eternal Small Man Syndrome means it gets treated as a national treasure and endlessly promoted by the Korean government. Imagine the Backstreet Boys acting as official ambassadors for the US government.
Well it is probably their premiere cultural export and they are an export-driven nation. They kind of have to do that. That's not small man syndrome, that's pretty good sense. I mean, is it any worse than McDonald's being symbol or promoting SportsBall?

• stoat
  • Veteran

• seoul
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2019, 07:27:26 pm »
I don't see nearly as many people under the age of 35 blowing a gasket over it. Basically if anyone listens to either rap or pop or EDM, they're probably fine with at least some Kpop.

I dunno, the whole anti-Kpop stuff in a way comes across as the sad group of people who felt so insecure about Disco music, they decided to blow up a crate of records and then riot during a baseball game. Similar demographics, similar tensions about a changing world, similar musical criticisms, similar style criticisms (particularly thinly-veiled homophobia and bigotry).

The young crowd all likes their Kpop and the EDM and their Cardi B and all that. Good for them. Let them enjoy what they enjoy. I had my day with 2Pac, Backstreet Boys, Seo Taiji, and Smashing Pumpkins. They've got theirs. Good for them. Them liking something different doesn't make me feel angry and insecure.

Personally the largest number of people I've come across who've 'blown a gasket' over K pop have been my Korean students (of university age).  A lot of them don't like the manufactured element of it either.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2019, 10:32:21 pm »

Personally the largest number of people I've come across who've 'blown a gasket' over K pop have been my Korean students (of university age).  A lot of them don't like the manufactured element of it either.
That is likely both class based (I知 not a sheep!) and them emulating oldsters to try to be more mature.

Pop music has always been fluff.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2019, 02:13:26 am »
ninth most expensive in the world? sounds like bollocks

https://ceoworld.biz/2019/01/22/most-expensive-countries-in-the-world-to-live-in-2019/

They don't even factor in education and healthcare related costs.
It was basically rent, food, utilities, and transport.

...and food includes 1 kg of beef or other red meat.

If you eat like a local, the cost of food in many places plummets.
And in some places, does the opposite.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2019, 02:34:33 am »

That is likely both class based (I知 not a sheep!) and them emulating oldsters to try to be more mature.

Depends on how you define pop(ular) music. Great jazz music used to top the charts and fill the dance halls. The songs on Harry Smith's Anthology of American Music  aren't fluff.

Sweeping generalizations often hide more than they illuminate.

• stoat
  • Veteran

• seoul
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2019, 02:57:53 am »

Or they might not like it for the reasons they say they don't like it. Because it's manufactured formulaic music aimed at teenagers. (I'm paraphrasing)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 03:07:43 am by stoat »

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2019, 04:12:00 am »

Depends on how you define pop(ular) music. Great jazz music used to top the charts and fill the dance halls. The songs on Harry Smith's Anthology of American Music  aren't fluff.

I would argue that the great stuff is what survived.

The majority of it was formulated pap.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2019, 11:01:53 pm »

I would argue that the great stuff is what survived.

The majority of it was formulated pap.
Your view is narrowed by time. Before music became the easily-produced commodity it is today, it consisted of much more than "formulated pap."
https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs-1940s.html

A later decade: https://digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_songs-1940s.html

How about right now? https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/50-best-albums-2019-so-far-846292/rhiannon-giddens-there-is-no-other-847920/

I can't speak to a lot the albums on that last list, but I doubt anyone would describe Lizzo as "formulated."

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2019, 11:47:40 pm »
There are few things more boring than TALKING about music.

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2019, 08:54:33 am »

Especially when this thread was started as Korea being expensive!

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2019, 04:22:48 pm »

Well, I gotta say that statement is absolutely wrong. And I'm an old time hippie and  drummer who put bread on my table for years by gigging and hoping for the big break.

Talking about music is the next best thing to playing. Of course, listening is squashed in there too.

I'm having a beer and listening to Q107.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2019, 06:09:33 pm »

Can't wait to hear Fifty Mission Cap for the fourth time today? Or Taking Care of Business?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2019, 06:50:30 am »
Korea, of more specifically Seoul is the tallest and pointiest city in the world!!!  Woot!!!  Finally!!!  Korea won something meaningful!!!

Looking out from sky100, Hong Kong痴 highest observation deck on the 100th floor of the city痴 tallest building, the 494-metre-high International Commerce Centre, you get a 360-degree view of one of the world痴 most famous skylines an urban jungle framed by mountains and the gleaming Victoria harbour, with endless clusters of high-rise buildings packed so closely together they resemble a game of Tetris.

It痴 little wonder a city of such visible density has more skyscrapers than anywhere else in the world. According to the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat (CTBUH), Hong Kong has 355 buildings over 150m in height.

But having that accolade does not necessarily make Hong Kong the most vertical city. By different measures, other cities come out on top.

According to building data research company Emporis, Seoul in South Korea has more high-rise buildings, with 16,359. Emporis defines a high-rise as a building at least 35m, or 12 storeys tall. In second place is Moscow, Russia, with 12,317 high-rises, followed by Hong Kong in third place, with 7,913.

When it comes to the world痴 tallest buildings, Hong Kong doesn稚 even make the top 10. Dubai痴 Burj Khalifa takes top spot, at 828m. Dubai has 50 skyscrapers under construction, more than any other city. These include the 1,300m-tall Dubai Creek Tower, expected to be completed in 2020 and will be the tallest structure ever built.

Meanwhile, the southern Chinese city of Shenzhen is the world leader in completing new skyscrapers. Last year it managed 14, ahead of Dubai痴 10. This was the third consecutive year that Shenzhen completed the world痴 largest number of 200m-plus buildings, representing nearly 10% of the global total.

Whether Hong Kong with the most skyscrapers, or Seoul with the most high-rises, is currently the world痴 most vertical city is open to debate. Meanwhile, Dubai and a clutch of Chinese cities are building multiple skyscrapers every year but that could stop any day. One thing is certain, with urban populations increasing and available land more or less finite, vertical cities will continue their rise.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/jul/16/which-is-the-worlds-most-vertical-city

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2019, 04:07:55 pm »

Can't wait to hear Fifty Mission Cap for the fourth time today? Or Taking Care of Business?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Strangely, never heard either of 'em. Great songs though. I've seen both bands multiple times, great acts too.