Read 2482 times

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
Re: Should Spanking Be Illegal In South Korea?
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2019, 07:22:48 am »
Catching up on all this, I liked the posts that mentioned how it was more effective to physically punish a child when you make it clear why they're being punished, and that the punishment should be done in a calm manner, not an angry one.

When I was a kid, I would get CP from my dad for some of the dumbest reasons, even as a kid I didn't really agree with the situations. It got to a point where now I just can't even accept criticism from him.

I'm surprised at just how split this discussion is, even looking at the poll.
The World Ends With You

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2019, 11:11:16 pm »
So, the study Cyanea posted to prove CP works showed very clearly that if you beat a child/administer corporal punishment, you get "immediate" perfunctory and short-lived "compliance" but EVERY OTHER outcome correlates with INCREASED AGGRESSION AND ANTISOCIAL BEHAVIOR.

I don't really trust studies. Political movements, parties, powerful individuals can get studies to say whatever they want.

What i do trust is personal experience, consistent first hand accounts of people with direct experience.

As I say, I went to some schools with CP and others without. I know for a fact that controlled and properly administered CP does not result in violent, antisocial behaviour. Quite the opposite: from everything I have seen, it is the lack of CP that results in schools producing more abusive, bullying, disrespectful and crime-prone students, a pattern that also shapes their adulthood.

Singapore has 0.27% as many Nobel laureates as the US does

Has the fact that the US has a population of 327 million vs Singapore's tiny 5 million ever entered your head?

Singapore punches far above its weight. And discipline-including physical discipline- is a cornerstone of their success in moulding a decent society.

Catch my drift?

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2019, 07:39:42 am »
So, the study Cyanea posted to prove CP works showed very clearly that if you beat a child/administer corporal punishment, you get "immediate" perfunctory and short-lived "compliance" but EVERY OTHER outcome correlates with INCREASED AGGRESSION AND ANTISOCIAL BEHAVIOR.

I don't really trust studies. Political movements, parties, powerful individuals can get studies to say whatever they want.
YOU are the one who posted the study AS IF IT PROVED YOUR POINT!
What i do trust is personal experience, consistent first hand accounts of people with direct experience.
Anecdotal experience from people with an axe to grind.  Yeah, that's way better than peer-reviewed research. So why don't you trust MY personal experience?
As I say, I went to some schools with CP and others without. I know for a fact that controlled and properly administered CP does not result in violent, antisocial behaviour. Quite the opposite: from everything I have seen, it is the lack of CP that results in schools producing more abusive, bullying, disrespectful and crime-prone students, a pattern that also shapes their adulthood.
No, you don't know that.  You THINK that, because you like the idea of corporal punishment.
Singapore has 0.27% as many Nobel laureates as the US does

Has the fact that the US has a population of 327 million vs Singapore's tiny 5 million ever entered your head?
Of course.  Which probably makes it much easier to fund and organise a nationwide school system.

And if Singapore were "punching AT it's weight", it would have 5 Nobels to match the US. (Not really, just showing I can use meaningless stats was well as you.)

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #83 on: July 05, 2019, 11:58:46 am »
People have told me that most Singaporeans hate living there because of all the rules they have to live by.
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

« Reply #84 on: July 05, 2019, 12:58:52 pm »
Dr Spock's son committed suicide.  He was the one who started down this path.  Most of these shrinks are full of shit with their doctored studies.  We have more crime, more broken homes, more social problems, and not less.  People use to be more respectful to each other, crime was low, and people were much less entitled.  We have seen the transformation in just a few short years over here.  The shrinks never seem able to answer the question about less respectful behavior and people with entitlement issues.  They mention nothing about the fact that kids who fear no consequences seem to get into trouble more, get mouthy more, have a harder time keeping a job, and end up going to jail.  The never learned to fear consequences nor respect authority.  We've seen enough fake news and biased studies that you can't always trust them over common sense and common trends. 

Spare the rod, spoil the child. 

https://www.brennancenter.org/press-release/crime-remains-historic-lows-america

Crime is at record lows and continues to decline every year in USA. Perception just based on media coverage (USA media coverage sensationalizes crime while most other countries don't) does not equal fact. For example, if there is a murder in the U.S., it's on the front page of the paper. It doesn't mean people are murdered constantly. It just means that newspapers know it sells papers and gets clicks because people are curious about morbid things here. However, I'll end scroll down 3 or 4 pages on Korean websites before I stumble across a gang rage or murder. It's that way with most countries.

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #85 on: July 05, 2019, 07:26:15 pm »
Isn't it funny how the most arrogant and disrespectful trolls are always anti-CP?

No, but we can read.  People here are not against parents administering CP correctly, we're against teachers administering it in schools.  Please keep up, or are you just blinded with rage and wanting to take it out on someone.....

That's what the thread was supposed to be about, but because of the poorly worded title it's gone astray.  Has nothing to do with reading literacy as the title was disingenuous to begin with.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul