Read 1841 times

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
Should Spanking Be Illegal In South Korea?
« on: June 28, 2019, 07:43:31 am »
http://youtu.be/O7Tdjz-F2jg

This topic has come up before in another thread. It's an obvious thing that the older generation are saying "no" while a lot of younger people are saying "yes".

The idea of how this affects schools and the student-teacher relationship comes up as well.

Curious to hear thoughts on this.
The World Ends With You

Re: Should Spanking Be Illegal In South Korea?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2019, 07:50:33 am »
*puts out deck chair, gets some popcorn*

We'll just wait for the dinosaurs to come out and say that smacking students should still be absolutely fine in this day and age. *cough* cyanea *cough*

• stoat
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 07:54:01 am »
I assume the government were precise in the wording of this because 'corporal punishment' covers a wide range of measures. In the video it seems the law is for parents and the situation in schools will remain the same. ie a total ban. However, they need to be clearer on what CP means when they interview people. Some countries e.g. UK allow parents recourse to 'reasonable punishment' - ie smacking which doesn't leave a mark.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2019, 07:57:00 am by stoat »

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2019, 08:17:30 am »
I think any form of hitting or spanking as punishment in schools should be illegal.

But at the same time...my coworkers regularly give their students a hard slap on the back (but both the teacher and the student know it's "playful" even if it is a very hard slap) if they're messing around or being cheeky.  So what can the rule be?  No touching of any kind allowed?  A blanket ban?

I do still believe that a parent should be able to spank their child at home though.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 08:33:12 am »
Spanking and even yelling or raising a voice by the teacher is illegal.  So, now instead of yelling for a noisy class to calm down, you put the kids on big pharma drugs to quiet down not be so "hyperactive".  Now instead of a spanking or being dragged down to the principals office, the police are called.  Political correctness and fearfulness have taken over.  This is what is ruining the west.  Being arrested by the police or threatend by the police is far more harmful than a spanking or being grabbed by the arm and dragged down to the prinicipals office.  Being pumped with drugs is far more harmful to kids minds than a teacher yelling to be quiet and simmer down.  Some of those drugged kids go into school and do mass shootings. 

Such is the stupidity that has taken place in the west.  Korea has gotten rid of the stick in the schools, but teachers can yell and mete out some punishment though it is often less scary than what we had in the west as a kid.  The only good point is most families aren't broken so the kids are still kind of ok.  West broken homes, kids who's sibbling have different fathers, etc.  All kinds of emotional problems.  If Korea pursues the west's example or takes directives from the UN, this will be their country too down the road.  The west is broken in this regard and Korea has nothing to learn from it.  (Now insane examinations for everything is another story.) 

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2019, 09:06:16 am »
*puts out deck chair, gets some popcorn*

We'll just wait for the dinosaurs to come out and say that smacking students should still be absolutely fine in this day and age. *cough* cyanea *cough*

I can't wait for the day when you are old and its coming believe me. I think you will then object to the word 'dinosaur'. Don't be so disrespectful to those older than you and whom you think have nothing to contribute to society. Experience trumps youth, believe me.
Everything is not as it seems.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• plan b
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 09:11:02 am »
Parents and Educators need tools to enforce discipline in and outside the classroom. Unfortunately liberals have totally messed things up.

Korean children are well known to be some of the worst behaved in the world. Parents nowadays will do absolutely nothing in terms of discipline and we are seeing the results in the classroom. Kids are rude, run amuck, and won't listen to the teacher. Its not only the foreign teachers that are given grief by these monsters, but the Korean teachers as well.When I asked my coteacher to take care of a problem student, they would respond "What kind I do?" Words sometimes don't work, and the only thing a child will listen to is physical enforcement.

I have had kids in elementary school turn over tables, and one Grade 5 student even punched my female co-teacher in the face. Words and liberal "strategies" won't help in these cases. The child needs to be restrained and dealt with strongly and swiftly. Making these measures illegal is a step in the wrong direction.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 09:33:47 am »
Parents and Educators need tools to enforce discipline in and outside the classroom. Unfortunately liberals have totally messed things up.

Korean children are well known to be some of the worst behaved in the world. Parents nowadays will do absolutely nothing in terms of discipline and we are seeing the results in the classroom. Kids are rude, run amuck, and won't listen to the teacher. Its not only the foreign teachers that are given grief by these monsters, but the Korean teachers as well.When I asked my coteacher to take care of a problem student, they would respond "What kind I do?" Words sometimes don't work, and the only thing a child will listen to is physical enforcement.

I have had kids in elementary school turn over tables, and one Grade 5 student even punched my female co-teacher in the face. Words and liberal "strategies" won't help in these cases. The child needs to be restrained and dealt with strongly and swiftly. Making these measures illegal is a step in the wrong direction.

I wish there was a like button on Waygook.

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 09:41:57 am »
I can't wait for the day when you are old and its coming believe me. I think you will then object to the word 'dinosaur'. Don't be so disrespectful to those older than you and whom you think have nothing to contribute to society. Experience trumps youth, believe me.

I went through primary school and secondary in England in the 80s, so I have experience of being on the receiving end of a lot of CP.  A week didn't go by when I didn't get smacked from a teacher, or even the cane.  It didn't stop me from doing what I wanted to do.  I wasn't a bad student, I did just what kids did while they grow up.  Do I think it made a difference to how I behaved?  No.  What happened?  I got older and stopped doing those things, but I wasn't afraid of the punishment at that time.  However, I was afraid of being expelled or my parents being called.  So, to me, it didn't have an effect and from seeing others, it made no real difference.  So now I bring that experience into my thinking now, and that I'd never think of inflicting pain on a student in the name of discipline.  In Korea, with cultural and language barriers, I have no clear idea about that student's problems or home life that make them behave the way they do.  But rather than make the effort to understand why they are doing that, the simple option is to administer some pain to them in the name of 'discipline'?  A lot of my students have tough home lives, like drunken dads, not seeing their family because of the stupid Korean work/school culture or the societal pressure to succeed.  Why should we add to their woes with punishment rather than understanding?   

I don't think that older people have nothing to give to society (apologies if it sounded that way) but the world has changed, and it's difficult to keep up with (myself included).  I have a lot of older Korean teacher friends who can't wait for retirement because they feel that their methods don't work anymore (this week I had dinner with two of them and both mentioned about this).  They mentioned that younger teachers teach and control their classes in one way and then students take that into other classes expecting the same treatment.  But it doesn't work like that.  It's a generational thing, and it's hard to keep up.

• LIC
  • Veteran

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 09:47:26 am »
The strap. Hard, and used liberally with wild abandon.

• stoat
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 09:53:33 am »
The video was actually about a government law banning corporal punishment from parents, not in schools, so it's a bit unclear what we should be voting on.  Regarding parenting I think, like in the UK, a smack in a safe place on the body is OK - punching, using sticks, face slapping etc... is not.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 10:02:28 am »
Why should we add to their woes with punishment rather than understanding?   

I don't think anyone here and any rational person is advocating beatings and unjustified corporal punishment.  However, a good solid smack on the backside at an appropriate time is fine.

Like you I got many a solid smack from my mom and from my teachers and believe me I was very afraid of my mom and it did shape me to becoming a better person. If I didn't get that for sure I would have ended up straying from the 'straight and narrow'.

It also depends on the kid. Some only can be disciplined in this way, others can be disciplined by a look, a word etc.  I was lucky, my kids had to be disciplined very seldom and just a word or look from me sorted the problem. However, my nephew was uncontrollable with words, removal of privileges etc and only understood a good solid smack. Today he is a great person and suffers no ill-effects of a smack given at the right time.

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 10:07:00 am »
Korean children are well known to be some of the worst behaved in the world.

It is also well known that they stay at school for some on the longest hours in the world.  It is the problem of Korean society and the mindset they still have that makes this.  Koreans are rich now, they have the money and comfort that they should be able to work less.  They are not the same impoverished country they were 50/60 years ago, but they still have that mindset.  Allow the parents to work less and be more efficient with their home/work balance, allow the students to have shorter school days and more vacation, have fewer tests, scrap the D-day nonsense associated with the university entrance test.  Address these few things and others and you'll start to address this 'Korean kids are the worst behaved in the world' problem.  CP is an ineffective short term 'fix' and would only be papering over the cracks. 

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2019, 10:08:04 am »
Dude, Korean children can be annoying little shits.

They are not the worst behaved in the world, nor do they have a reputation as such. They may scream and run around or litter or play Pokemon incessantly and do other stuff, but they generally don't engage in criminal activity nor form and join street gangs.

In the end, Korean kids are cake. And dude, no one around the world is making a list of "worst kids in the world" and putting Korean kids at the top. Give me an effing break.

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2019, 10:17:52 am »
When it comes to CP a couple things need to be considered
1) Just because CP doesn't work on you and it doesn't work in the majority of cases, doesn't mean it is NEVER effective. People are different and respond differently. Whereas things like time out or doing chores or embarrassment can be effective on some kids, to others those do nothing. And whereas a spanking can make one child go "Well that was over in 30 seconds, back to mayhem!" another might seriously stop what they're doing and reconsider.
2) CP as something done to young children, for doing something that places them at risk for serious physical harm, like crossing the road without looking, putzing with an electrical socket, and other things, CAN be a good thing as it creates an instant link between pain and such an action, which in those cases is a good instinct to have. In that case CP isn't being done out of rage or to punish for some form of disrespect, but create an instinctive "survival awareness" that is clearly for the child's betterment. I think even the most hardened opponent of CP would consider something like the road crossing example with a young kid and understand that spanking might be better than a lecture, given the child's cognitive level and see the whole instinctive reaction aspect. To repeat playing with electrical socket=pain is a good thing to imprint into your kid's brain.

• plan b
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2013, 11:53:06 am
    • Korea
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2019, 10:25:02 am »
Dude, Korean children can be annoying little shits.

They are not the worst behaved in the world, nor do they have a reputation as such. They may scream and run around or litter or play Pokemon incessantly and do other stuff, but they generally don't engage in criminal activity nor form and join street gangs.

In the end, Korean kids are cake. And dude, no one around the world is making a list of "worst kids in the world" and putting Korean kids at the top. Give me an effing break.

The lack of discipline from Korean parents has resulted in Korean children being some of the worst behaved in the world. Korean parents have adopted a policy of being completely lenient in every aspect with their children. This and completely spoiling their children has resulted in kids that are almost impossible to manage in an educational environment.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2019, 10:41:57 am »
In the end, Korean kids are cake. And dude, no one around the world is making a list of "worst kids in the world" and putting Korean kids at the top

I would agree with this but they are certainly the most entitled going on the experience of living in six different countries.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2019, 10:45:28 am »
The lack of discipline from Korean parents has resulted in Korean children being some of the worst behaved in the world. Korean parents have adopted a policy of being completely lenient in every aspect with their children. This and completely spoiling their children has resulted in kids that are almost impossible to manage in an educational environment.
please understand them. they are just children

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2019, 10:56:12 am »
Or maybe you just suck at your job. Dude, I ain't stressing a bunch of little shits I can shut up with one properly vocalized "Yah!"

Go walk around a trailer park for 20 minutes and tell me that Korean kids are the worst behaved in the world. Give me an effing break.

Have they gotten worse? Absolutely. Are they getting spoiled? For sure. Are they anywhere near the worst in the world? Please. When someone starts saying nonsense like this, it's a sure sign they've lived too much in Korea and seem to forget how things are back home (or backhome for them means some sleep small town or easy-peasy suburb)

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2019, 12:28:32 pm »
we don't spank adults, why should we spank children? kind of a weird incongruity between how we punish adults and children. i think it makes more sense to teach children about the actual consequences of their actions as opposed to making up some special punishments that they'll never have to deal with in their adult lives.

i'm sure some of you support the death penalty and would love to bring back caning and whipping or w.e (but that's a a bit off topic)