Read 2668 times

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
Re: "expat" is a bs word...
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2019, 10:19:01 am »
I have lived in a country that is not my birth country for nearly 14 years. In that time I have never been back to my birth country nor will I ever see its shores again. I have been married for most of that time with a permanent spouse visa. I own property and a house and have a family and a permanent job.

If I'm not an ex-pat, what should I call myself?

Sounds like a pretty clear cut definition of an immigrant to me.  The "nor will I ever see its shores again" cements it.  Not something an expat would state. Congratulations on a successful immigrant experience. 

You are looking at it the wrong way around. I call myself an ex-pat. Locals call me an immigrant. You can agree or not.
You are 100% an immigrant. You can call yourself the King of France, but you are still an immigrant.
You are the kind of person that the absolute fruit loop of an OP is talking about. Well done.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2019, 10:36:21 am »
I took apart OP already, but I will say that while I and many others just use expat interchangeably, there are probably a few types out there who use it to make themselves sound more worldly when in fact they aren't. So that part might have a slight kernel of truth.

"I'm not someone who had no clue what the heck to do after college (not that there's anything wrong with that), I'm an expat, not some lowly immigrant or migrant laborer. I enjoy wine and have some white dress pants." But you'll find these people of all races and nationalities. They'll always put some way-too-positive spin on their situation in life.

"I'm not an ESL Teacher, I'm actually a novelist and ESL is just my side gig."
"Have you published anything?"
"No, but..."

hahahaahahaha
"took apart"
for being a predictable mediocre white man you sure think quite highly of yourself.

oh wait,
that's how all of you think lol.

carry on
You haven't been around here a long time, have you?

Just because someone thinks a certain way doesn't make them a certain race.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 11:43:24 am by VanIslander »

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2019, 10:43:59 am »
Semantics.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• tylerthegloob
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 28, 2016, 10:46:24 am
    • Busan
    more
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2019, 11:05:23 am »
wouldn't say I know "nothing" about the people I call out.
their posts and comments make it pretty easy to see their bigotry ;)

oh cool! so where did CO2 say something racist? or where did I say something racist? you've accused both of us and since it's so easy for you to see you should be able to quickly point it out.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 11:21:03 am by tylerthegloob »

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2019, 11:17:12 am »
ex-pat here

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2019, 11:46:25 am »
Moderator message:

Remember to avoid flaming.

Attack the message not the messenger.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2019, 01:10:15 pm »
      I agree with OP that "expat" is a BS word in that it seems to have very different meanings depending on who you ask. Even the dictionary definitions can be interpreted differently.
       Any word that doesn't give a reasonably clear meaning when used in context is kinda rubbish.

Personally, when I think of the word, I tend to think that it refers to any individual who lives in an other country for a longish period of time (but not permanently). Being a product of my culture, I'll admit that the word usually brings to mind wealthier professionals and retirees rather than blue collared labourers (who would be called migrant workers despite qualifying just as much for the expat label).
   Like I said, it's a frustratingly fuzzy word.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2019, 09:11:44 pm »
I think the deciding line is if you are closer to *being* a housekeeper or *having* a housekeeper?

I would say most ESL teachers are about in the middle.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 02:29:01 am by JNM »

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2019, 10:56:56 pm »
I would classify teachers, hogwan through university, as "guest workers", not expats.

And since most of the hoe's in South Korea are out of the price range of people on teaching salaries, you can't even be a sexpat.

The world just isn't fair, is it..

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2019, 08:10:27 am »
  Let's see. The word "expat" comes from the Latin "ex" meaning out of " plus "patria" (which means fatherland or native country in both Latin and Greek), and it indicates someone who was sent out of their native country on important business, and has established themselves abroad. It could also refer to retired people. In a British context, the tabloids talk about "British expats" especially "retired expats in the sun," but foreigners are always "dodgy immigrants." This difference is malicious and unfair.

I suspect the word "expat," came into play during the time of the British Empire. British people joining the Indian Civil Service, when it was a British possession or doing professional jobs n India would have been expats. So too would be the missionaries, or business people and diplomats at the foreign legations in Peking, before 1900, although China was independent. These expats were seen as "improving the natives."

The false difference between foreign immigrants and British expats expats caused so much confusion and prejudice recently that they voted for Brexit.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2019, 01:51:01 pm »
i'm not an expat or an immigrant. i'm an.......    :afro: 8) economic migrant 8)  :afro:

You're a permanent resident, citizen, or a legal immigrant?  Most of us English teachers aren't in that
category and are going home soon enough. 

• ar97
  • Explorer

• February 21, 2019, 05:55:08 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2019, 02:34:08 pm »
I always understood expat to be a resident of a country who is not a tourist (which is say lives in a country for 6+ months) but also is not a permanent resident/generally is planning to return to their home country at some point. However this comes from an American perspective and obviously definitions and understandings will change depending on where you came from or what country you're talking about.

If my understanding of expat is correct, I think America uses "immigrant" because a lot of the non-citizens living in the US do seek to permanently live in America/gain citizenship. Essentially, I think 'immigrant' tends to have a connotation of wishing to live in a country permanently/settle down there forever. 'Immigrant' in America tends to mean people with green cards/permanent residence cards and not temporary workers (like the H-2B visa). This is going off of my understanding of colloquial uses of "immigrant" and not official, government uses.
 In the context of Korea, I think people use 'expat' and not 'immigrant' for a lot of the same reasons above; non-Korean citizens (in this case, EFL teachers) aren't seeking to gain citizenship, but to earn money and ultimately return to their native country. In this case, economic immigrant would also work.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 02:50:40 pm by ar97 »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2019, 05:32:02 pm »
I always understood expat to be a resident of a country who is not a tourist (which is say lives in a country for 6+ months) but also is not a permanent resident/generally is planning to return to their home country at some point.
And those at the end of the road, the ones that see no future and are escaping their past, the boozed and listless.

However this comes from an American perspective...
"Expat" is an English word and comes from the lifestyle overseas of the English (and other Brits) and Americans.

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #53 on: June 21, 2019, 11:47:47 pm »
But would teachers be considered to be expats by the diplomatic expat community?
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2019, 03:43:07 am »
  You might want to ask them, but most of the diplomats I met in Seoul were from non-English speaking countries.
  The British Embassy in Seoul has a bar where the expats gather after work to drink. But you can't just walk in. It's by invitation only. Lots of my friends were queuing to get in there during 2016, and there was someone who was a member and would invite people in as guests. They went because of some kind of novelty or kudos attached to being invited to the "British Embassy Bar," but the bar itself was in no way special. It was only open on Fridays between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. But if you were a member you were a proper expat, not an economic migrant.

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2019, 05:04:29 am »
Yes, exactly. I have always felt a bit unwelcome at these expats gatherings, socially shunned almost as soon it became clear I was not an expat but a teacher.
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2019, 10:01:44 am »
  You might want to ask them, but most of the diplomats I met in Seoul were from non-English speaking countries.
  The British Embassy in Seoul has a bar where the expats gather after work to drink. But you can't just walk in. It's by invitation only. Lots of my friends were queuing to get in there during 2016, and there was someone who was a member and would invite people in as guests. They went because of some kind of novelty or kudos attached to being invited to the "British Embassy Bar," but the bar itself was in no way special. It was only open on Fridays between 5 p.m. and 9 p.m. But if you were a member you were a proper expat, not an economic migrant.

Iíve been invited, but never went. I never knew it was a big deal.

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2019, 10:29:30 am »

Iíve been invited, but never went. I never knew it was a big deal.

It's not particularly special, except you can get foreign beers, good choice of whiskies etc.. at reasonable prices.  British council teachers get automatic membership. The rest of the clientele are people from the embassy and local businessmen, you also get a lot of Koreans networking.  There's a bit of looking down noses from some but most people are friendly. What was special was the tennis court and swimming pool facilities BC teachers could use in the summer. You could go there in the middle of the day during the week and have it all to yourself. Tennis court gardens and swimming pool right in the centre of Seoul. You were able to take guests and your kids there too if you had them, until the ambassador's wife complained about the noise and the perk of being able to take guests was removed.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2019, 10:38:03 am »
An expat wants to go day drinking with Seth and Rihanna.