Read 2438 times

Re: "expat" is a bs word...
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 01:08:04 pm »
got too many people in my inbox complaining about how you "speak down" to everyone
and always try to stir the pot.

omg i have sooooooo many messages in my inbox from people complaining about how YOU speak down to everyone  :laugh: what a coincidence!

got too many people in my inbox complaining about how you "speak down" to everyone
and always try to stir the pot.

I don't believe this for a second. hahahahaha

since when has you not believing something made it not true?
lol
I'm sure you believe you're not a racist, arrogant prick.

doesn't make it not true ;)

says the "i'm chillin" guy. yeah... this response was real chill...

also, i'd love to see the screenshots of people complaining about d'tino. it's strange that they'd be sent to you, someone who has been here for like a week.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 01:25:33 pm »
Taking classes in the local language,
Playing tourist on the weekends, and
Focusing on banking money for the future...

Indeed, that is not very expat like.

• Colburnnn
  • Super Waygook

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2019, 01:36:55 pm »
bb459, you got some problems lady.

This.

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2019, 01:41:29 pm »

The first isn't ex-pat like I agree, but I'm not sure why you think the others aren't. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2019, 01:43:57 pm »
since when has you not believing something made it not true?
lol
I'm sure you believe you're not a racist, arrogant prick.

doesn't make it not true ;)

Quote one racist thing I have ever said in any capacity.

I'll wait.

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2019, 02:02:29 pm »

watch the new Black Mirror Series.

:huh:

you sir, are an awful racist. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2019, 02:08:34 pm »

watch the new Black Mirror Series.

:huh:

you sir, are an awful racist. 
Well, Striking Vipers did have an awful lot of coloured folk in it. And they were doing some pretty unsavoury stuff on the internet game cafe device.

Can't say it was exactly my cup of tea. When are we going to see more content with straight, white people?

Happy now, bb459?

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 02:52:10 pm »
...that we should leave in 2019

When people from other countries move to yall's home country.
I GUARANTEE you don't call them "expats".
They're called "foreigners" and "immigrants"

Both words that the media attaches negative, dirty, poor, criminal connotations to.

So how come when we do the same exact thing and relocate to another country, we get
a seemingly clean/dignified word like "expat" ?
Nope

We are foreigners. We are immigrants. We are alien.
We are the same as the people eggiefugger and mr defartino want to keep OUT of their home countries.

Don't get it twisted.

Are you here permanently?  Have you immigrated to Korea?  Just here for business for a while, hired as a teacher for a time?  Well, you're an expat.  Here for a time. 

• CO2
  • Waygook Lord

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2019, 02:58:53 pm »
Are you here permanently?  Have you immigrated to Korea?  Just here for business for a while, hired as a teacher for a time?  Well, you're an expat.  Here for a time. 

ex·pat
/ˌeksˈpat/
INFORMAL
noun
a person who lives outside their native country.
"a British expat who's been living in Amsterdam for 14 years"
adjective
denoting or relating to a person living outside their native country.
"Gregg is an expat Australian"

Of course, now we'll get a missive about how that's not the real definition and that there are power structures and that  the dictionary was written by Western whites, and if we'd only translate the Myanmarese dictionary definition into Arabic and then into English then maybe we'd understand, but we exclude POC and Muslims so we can't truly.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 03:36:30 pm »
Expatriate:
'A person who lives outside their native country' (Oxford),[3] or
'living in a foreign land' (Webster's).[4]
These contrast with definitions of other words with a similar meaning, such as:
Migrant:
'A person who moves from one place to another in order to find work or better living conditions' (Oxford),[5] or
'one that migrates: such as a: a person who moves regularly in order to find work especially in harvesting crops' (Webster's);[6]
or
Immigrant
'A person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country' (Oxford),[7] or
'one that immigrates: such as a: a person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence (Webster's).[8]

I think Wikipedia has a pretty good summation.  When I went and lived and didn't work for a year in Phuket and just bummed around with no intention or needing of finding work I would've ben part of the expat community.  When I come to Korea specifically looking for employment I am still a person who lives outside a foreign country but I am more considered a migrant worker or émigré. 

Apart from his racist offshoots, I agree that OP was correct in that the people most likely to try and paint ESL teachers with the "expat" brush would be ESL teachers.  I am not going to argue with anyone about whether we can be considered part of the expat crowd, but for the expat community at large we're looked at in a slightly different (less favourable?) light from the diplomat or engineer, for example.  We came here to seek employment.  Out ESL schools abroad didn't send us over to manage or troubleshoot. 

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 05:30:43 pm »
The expat novel is a subgenre.

Some characters are trying to escape their life back home.

Others are trying to find themself, going through a process of self-actualizing.

Others are hopelessly at the end of the world.

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 06:17:55 pm »
Expatriate:
'A person who lives outside their native country' (Oxford),[3] or
'living in a foreign land' (Webster's).[4]
These contrast with definitions of other words with a similar meaning, such as:
Migrant:
'A person who moves from one place to another in order to find work or better living conditions' (Oxford),[5] or
'one that migrates: such as a: a person who moves regularly in order to find work especially in harvesting crops' (Webster's);[6]
or
Immigrant
'A person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country' (Oxford),[7] or
'one that immigrates: such as a: a person who comes to a country to take up permanent residence (Webster's).[8]

I think Wikipedia has a pretty good summation.  When I went and lived and didn't work for a year in Phuket and just bummed around with no intention or needing of finding work I would've ben part of the expat community.  When I come to Korea specifically looking for employment I am still a person who lives outside a foreign country but I am more considered a migrant worker or émigré. 

Apart from his racist offshoots, I agree that OP was correct in that the people most likely to try and paint ESL teachers with the "expat" brush would be ESL teachers.  I am not going to argue with anyone about whether we can be considered part of the expat crowd, but for the expat community at large we're looked at in a slightly different (less favourable?) light from the diplomat or engineer, for example.  We came here to seek employment.  Out ESL schools abroad didn't send us over to manage or troubleshoot. 
Words and definitions matter.  Thanks for actually defining the words that the OP insists are interchangeable and just selectively applied to different people based on racist ideologies.  They are not.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2019, 07:41:36 pm »
i'm not an expat or an immigrant. i'm an.......    :afro: 8) economic migrant 8)  :afro:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 07:44:08 pm by oglop »

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2019, 09:39:05 pm »
Any negative connotation you attach to the words 'migrant' and 'immigrant' are your own problem OP.

I call myself and others immigrants all the time largely according to OnNut81's provided definitions; intent/status to live permanently or not.

Most foreigners I've met in Korea would not be considered immigrants, especially those from the west. It's something like 95%+ of ESL teachers plan to move on to another country some time in the future. Even the foreigners who are migrant workers / students (eg. people from countries generally regarded as poorer than Korea) whom I've met here, around 75-85% plan to move on to another country. Korea is not exactly a high in demand country to immigrate to. Compare that to USA, where most foreigners there do plan to live there permanently.

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2019, 09:53:05 pm »
I took apart OP already, but I will say that while I and many others just use expat interchangeably, there are probably a few types out there who use it to make themselves sound more worldly when in fact they aren't. So that part might have a slight kernel of truth.

"I'm not someone who had no clue what the heck to do after college (not that there's anything wrong with that), I'm an expat, not some lowly immigrant or migrant laborer. I enjoy wine and have some white dress pants." But you'll find these people of all races and nationalities. They'll always put some way-too-positive spin on their situation in life.

"I'm not an ESL Teacher, I'm actually a novelist and ESL is just my side gig."
"Have you published anything?"
"No, but..."

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2019, 08:55:35 am »
I have lived in a country that is not my birth country for nearly 14 years. In that time I have never been back to my birth country nor will I ever see its shores again. I have been married for most of that time with a permanent spouse visa. I own property and a house and have a family and a permanent job.

If I'm not an ex-pat, what should I call myself?

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2019, 09:07:25 am »
I have lived in a country that is not my birth country for nearly 14 years. In that time I have never been back to my birth country nor will I ever see its shores again. I have been married for most of that time with a permanent spouse visa. I own property and a house and have a family and a permanent job.

Sounds like a pretty clear cut definition of an immigrant to me.  The "nor will I ever see its shores again" cements it.  Not something an expat would state. Congratulations on a successful immigrant experience. 

• LIC
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2019, 09:10:10 am »

Sounds like a pretty clear cut definition of an immigrant to me.  The "nor will I ever see its shores again" cements it.  Not something an expat would state. Congratulations on a successful immigrant experience. 

You are looking at it the wrong way around. I call myself an ex-pat. Locals call me an immigrant. You can agree or not.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Anyang
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2019, 09:20:20 am »

You are looking at it the wrong way around. I call myself an ex-pat. Locals call me an immigrant. You can agree or not.

Obviously you can call yourself whatever you want, but since you don't fit the description of a typical ex-pat, why do you refer to yourself as one?  You've clearly immigrated and settled.  No shame in that.  By the same token, I don't think of myself by any title really, so I'm not begrudging you the term ex-pat.  It's just when I think of an ex-pat your situation wouldn't be one I'd consider. 

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2019, 09:36:09 am »
Identity politics sucks.