Read 3292 times

Leaving Canada Again
« on: June 13, 2019, 09:51:34 pm »
I came back to Canada in late 2016 worried about my health, and for 9 months I was unemployed
dealing with battling my illness while looking for teaching positions in and outside of Canada.

After 9 months of unemployment I finally got the chance to get a job here in Canada teaching
music. This job is an occasional contract job and now after 2 years, my contract will not longer
be valid starting on June 20th. In a week from the day I wrote this, I will be out of a job.

I am still able to get my EI after this. I can get EI up to only 1 year. This means I will have to look
forward to living on EI for a year on a limited budget living in this small cottage house I am renting
up here in Northern Ontario. The difference is I won't have to drive everyday. But I cannot live
like this for too long.

I am not going to make EI the answer to my problem. The answer to my problem is to search for a
new teaching position and if they offer me a job, I will go for it. However, I am not going to insist on
finding jobs only in Canada. I am willing to leave Canada again to find a new teaching position overseas
in the gulf states, South Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Thailand, or Malaysia. I just sent my CV to an employer
in Thailand yesterday.

I really don't want to leave Canada, but if I have to leave Canada again I will. I have to do what I have
to do to stay in productivity with my teaching talent. I will say frankly that I would rather be living and
working overseas than to stay in Canada unemployed living on EI.

My family will not like it if I chose to live and work overseas. But they are not my employers.
So if anybody here in Canada insists on me to stay in Canada, they have to be my employer.
I will search for jobs in Canada, but if nothing comes up I will move overseas again. So glad I
don't have a wife or kids.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:08:31 am by Foreverparadise »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
Re: Leaving Canada Again
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 11:53:41 pm »
How about the Middle East?

Set yourself a 1-year or 2-year goal (or 3 if you can take it) and BANK ENOUGH COIN to set yourself up for a new chapter of your life back home near family (use your free time to figure out what that goal is).

Good luck whatever.

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 01:13:05 am »
I'm just wondering Foreverparadise, how were your experiences with racism in South Korea?
Would that be any better in Thailand or in Japan/China?
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 09:30:10 pm »
I'm just wondering Foreverparadise, how were your experiences with racism in South Korea?
Would that be any better in Thailand or in Japan/China?

There is racism everywhere.
What I have noticed is that the Japanese are less
racist than the Koreans. As for Thai people, I am
more likely to be friends with the dark-skinned Thais
because they face enough prejudice from their own.
Not all light skinned Thais are racially prejudice but
a good number of Thai people are like that mainly
because of the bliss of their ignorance.

So I don't let it bother me but I will speak out against
it. I just walk tall and proud and carry myself in a respectable
manner. But as Malcolm X said if anybody lays a hand on
you, make sure they don't lay a hand on anybody else
again.

But please let's stay on topic. My job will end for good
on June 20th so I need to find a new job. It may or may
not be in Canada.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 09:37:51 pm by Foreverparadise »

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 10:50:23 pm »
What I have noticed is that the Japanese are less racist than the Koreans.
You may think that now, but wait many years down the road when they decide  you aren't benefiting them anymore. I'd say it's pretty much tied for Korean/Japanese racism. Korean are just way more open about it.

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 04:06:49 pm »
I have invested 2 years of my time in Ontario as a teacher, although I worked for a First Nations
school. That is all the experience I have in Canada out of the 13 years I have been a teacher.

So if I leave Canada for a teaching position overseas, how will this effect my career if I ever
have to repatriate to Canada again?

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 11:18:30 pm »
I am scheduled for an interview this coming Wednesday. This interview is for a position at an international school
in Thailand. I am thrilled to have this interview, but I cannot guarantee if this interview will be successful or not.

The fact of the matter is, I applied to 3 school boards in Canada over the coarse of last week, and I have also
applied to two schools in Thailand. The employer in Thailand was quick to respond to me and schedule an
online Skype interview with me. But the Canadian school boards I applied to, they have been loath to respond
to me and worst of all, they are too slow handed. Plus if any Canadian school board wants to have an interview
with me, whether the employer is located 5 km from me, or 5000 km from me, they don't want to do any
online Skype interviews with me.  Surely I could drive 120 km away for an interview, but if the employer
is located more than 1000 km away within Canada or even within Ontario and they don't want a Skype
interview, then there's something wrong with our Canadian school boards. And that is why I am quick to
accept a job opportunity from overseas rather than sit here and wait in Canada.

My contract where I am ends this week, and I had to deal with the worst behaving kids one last
time. If I do make it to that international school in Thailand I will be so thankful not to deal with
intermediate kids who behave like kindergartens.

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 11:48:27 pm »
...but forgive them in your heart, they deserve better than their school closing on them. How would you feel about 'other' people coming and also leaving you all the time?
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 12:53:30 am »
...but forgive them in your heart, they deserve better than their school closing on them. How would you feel about 'other' people coming and also leaving you all the time?

Yes you have a point. I forgive my students for the wrongs they have done to me.
I love my students even though some of them are very bad in their ways, but I don't
blame them.
But the school is not closing on them.

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 10:57:08 pm »
I just had my live Skype interview with the employer overseas. I really hope to hear from them next week.
Yesterday, I sent an application to the 4th Canadian school board. Still no response from the Canadian
school boards.

I was on the phone with my mother yesterday evening. She told me that I Don't have good luck with
Canadian school boards because I was hired on a contract with this local First Nations School Board,
and after working here 2 years they told me that my contract will not be extended. That notice
was given to me 9 days before my contract expires. I also don't have good luck with Canadian school
boards because when I got 2 interviews with 2 school boards, they both rejected me. They seem to not
want to give me a chance. So if I get a chance with this employer in Thailand, I will leave Canada in a
heartbeat.

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 01:13:34 am »
On this 1st week of July, I got 4 interviews scheduled. I already did the first one on Skype live from Japan and I have to wait until July 5th to hear from them. But I also have 3 more interviews this same week, tomorrow and 2 on Friday, but they are here in Canada. So the question is what will it be? Stay in Canada or leave? The Japanese employer can decide to accept me much faster than the Canadian school boards.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2019, 05:29:08 am »
On this 1st week of July, I got 4 interviews scheduled. I already did the first one on Skype live from Japan and I have to wait until July 5th to hear from them. But I also have 3 more interviews this same week, tomorrow and 2 on Friday, but they are here in Canada. So the question is what will it be? Stay in Canada or leave? The Japanese employer can decide to accept me much faster than the Canadian school boards.
Where would you rather work? Which job suits you better? Which job has the best conditions?

A list of pros and cons can be helpful in making these kinds of decisions.

Good luck!

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 01:10:31 pm »
Where would you rather work? Which job suits you better? Which job has the best conditions?

Good luck!

Japan:
Pros- Students are much easier to deal with
          Very Clean
           Crime is almost non-existent
           Plenty of public transit, no company car needed
           Warmer weather even in winter

Cons- Salary will be lower than what I made in Canada
           Have to pay rent and airfare
           No pension provided
           Family will worry about me being half a world away

Canada
Pros- Can see family more often
           Healthcare
           Employment Insurance in case of job loss
           Experience counted when teaching here
           Teacher's pension

Cons- More difficult students to deal with
           Harsher winter
           Costly car insurance
           Housing cost troubles in certain areas
           Won't get much days to teach when staring over with a new school board as an OT

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 01:21:14 pm »
I just had the first of my 3 interviews here in Canada this week. They told me that the results will be in by mid-August. As for the other two, that I will say later. The Japanese employer who I had a Skype interview with 3 days ago sent me an email telling me that if I am interested, I should respond.

As you can see the Japanese employer has proven to be much quicker than the slow handed Canadian school board I interviewed with.

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 03:51:26 pm »
It is official, I have received an official job offer from Japan, and I will have to accept it just to prove that I am not going
to sit around and wait for something or someone to show me the way.

Let's face it. Canadian school boards are too slow handed. 2 years ago my previous employer here in Canada offered
me a job while I was getting ready for China, and I stayed in Canada because of that. 2 years later, I got interviewed by
3 Canadian employers and one from Japan, and the Japanese have acted the fastest to offer me a job. So unless a Canadian school board jumps in and offers me a job, I will be off to Japan.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 10:10:35 pm »
It is official, I have received an official job offer from Japan, and I will have to accept it just to prove that I am not going
to sit around and wait for something or someone to show me the way.

Let's face it. Canadian school boards are too slow handed. 2 years ago my previous employer here in Canada offered
me a job while I was getting ready for China, and I stayed in Canada because of that. 2 years later, I got interviewed by
3 Canadian employers and one from Japan, and the Japanese have acted the fastest to offer me a job. So unless a Canadian school board jumps in and offers me a job, I will be off to Japan.

Best of luck!

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 03:05:31 am »
OK.

So I did 3 interviews across South and Central Ontario and a week later one of them have rejected me.
Meanwhile I have another upcoming interview scheduled.

As for the offer I got from Japan. I accepted that offer but questioned them on a few things. I sent them
a few attachments of my documents, but generally I have yet to hear back from the Japanese employer.

If all the Canadian schools and school boards do not give me a chance, I will definately leave Canada, be it
Japan or Thailand.  If I forfeit investing in my Canada Pension Plan or Ontario Teacher's Pension, let it be. I
will not blame myself if they refuse to give me a chance in Canada.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 02:02:57 pm »

Good luck!

Japan:
Pros- Students are much easier to deal with
          Very Clean
           Crime is almost non-existent
           Plenty of public transit, no company car needed
           Warmer weather even in winter

Cons- Salary will be lower than what I made in Canada
           Have to pay rent and airfare
           No pension provided
           Family will worry about me being half a world away

Canada
Pros- Can see family more often
           Healthcare
           Employment Insurance in case of job loss
           Experience counted when teaching here
           Teacher's pension

Cons- More difficult students to deal with
           Harsher winter
           Costly car insurance
           Housing cost troubles in certain areas
           Won't get much days to teach when staring over with a new school board as an OT

I'm confused.  You're a certified teacher?  AN international school in Japan should pay well and give medical.  Also, I had seen some ESL wages rise there recently.  Even some of the dispatch public school jobs seem to have more pay and some flight reimbursement now (Interact still sucks it seems but other companies).  Anyways, you're a certified teacher so any international school should work.  Plenty of them in many countries.  Also rural Alberta, the Arctic, and other places have many options too. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 02:05:30 pm »
Also, it seems to me that some teachers I know seem to have problems teaching or getting a regular job when they are in Ontario or closer to Toronto area.  Maybe because they all want to be there? 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 02:09:38 pm »
Anyways, I have seen Daves and some other sites via google (Gaijin Pot and others for ESL) having 280,000 to 300,000 yen lately with some flight reimbursement.  During the recession years some were loballing down to 220 to 230 or less with no flight or anything else.  When even Japan is raising wages and increasing perks along with other countries offering decent money potential, esl ain't going anywhere.  But ESL long term is what you want to avoid for resume building and instead go for international schools as a certified teacher.  (China prob easy to get good gig?)