Read 302 times

TV Prices
« on: June 13, 2019, 10:42:54 am »
Does anyone know what a fair price for a 50" UHD TV is these days?

Having only ever used the TVs that came with my apartments, I have no idea and really don't want to get fleeced but I'm in the market for one now!  From my research so far it looks like 300K for a no-name brand is about right.

Any recommendations or pitfalls to avoid?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: TV Prices
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 11:11:34 am »
go for one a little nicer. i bought a daewoo one a few years ago and it's okay, but the picture is a bit dark, and the sound quality is shite. the after service was terrible too (it broke twice).

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 11:56:51 am »
Waygook.org user alexisalex, DSPV is an excellent and well-priced brand, and a lot of their larger TVs actually use LG panels. We have a 55" 4k one and have had it for a year, and it's wonderful. Dark blacks, good colours, no oversaturation or anything bad. No light leaks or dead pixes. We paid like 550,000 for ours. They don't have our exact model anymore, but it's a great brand. Their soundbars are good, too.

Here's a link to their shop:

http://stores.auction.co.kr/displayparktv

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 12:29:43 pm »
Thanks for the replies both!

oglop, yeah that sounds like good advice because I don't want to end up forking out more money in the long run.

Thanks for the recommendation #basedcowboyshirt, I'll definitely have a look at that brand.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 12:33:56 pm »
I got one at Costco about a year and a half ago. They have a pretty good selection and competitive prices.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 01:48:46 pm »
Thanks for the replies both!

oglop, yeah that sounds like good advice because I don't want to end up forking out more money in the long run.

Thanks for the recommendation #basedcowboyshirt, I'll definitely have a look at that brand.

Yeah. The cost:benefit ratio of getting an OLED or QLED Samsung / LG TV honestly isn't good enough to justify it at the moment unless you're suuuuuper picky or super rich. And, this will be controversial, but ordering a Roku from Amazon and using it with a non-smart TV is a lot more cost effective and just as useful as buying a smart TV. But like, really. A lot cheaper.

Also, DSPV TVs have absolutely garbage speakers. That's the main drawback. Like, they sound worse than laptop speakers. But a cheap bluetooth speaker or soundbar will sound lovely.

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 02:08:21 pm »
I'm not too fussed about speaker quality because I use bluetooth headphones 99% of the time.  As long as the picture quality is good then I'm not picky.  If a no name brand uses LG panels then that's fine for me.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 02:11:17 pm »
Also, DSPV TVs have absolutely garbage speakers. That's the main drawback. Like, they sound worse than laptop speakers. But a cheap bluetooth speaker or soundbar will sound lovely.

Schiit Modi 3 Usb DAC ---> converts all the 1s and 0s into an electrical signal. Every device that does digital sound does this but this does it extremely accurately. AMERICA 99$

Marantz PM5005 ---> Integrated amp. The Modi has a red/white RCA out that plugs into this. Great amp, 50W per channel. 200 000W on coupang. JAPANESE

PSB ALpha B1 ---> These are a pair of bookshelf speakers and they sound amazing. 225 000W Coupang CANADA

These three things together are 500 bucks and it's an incredible sound, I have it at home. These are all quality products, too. This ain't the shit you get at Walmart. Highly recommended for people who like their sound and 500$ is an insane price for this amount of quality.

The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 02:24:53 pm »

Schiit Modi 3 Usb DAC ---> converts all the 1s and 0s into an electrical signal. Every device that does digital sound does this but this does it extremely accurately. AMERICA 99$

Marantz PM5005 ---> Integrated amp. The Modi has a red/white RCA out that plugs into this. Great amp, 50W per channel. 200 000W on coupang. JAPANESE

PSB ALpha B1 ---> These are a pair of bookshelf speakers and they sound amazing. 225 000W Coupang CANADA

These three things together are 500 bucks and it's an incredible sound, I have it at home. These are all quality products, too. This ain't the shit you get at Walmart. Highly recommended for people who like their sound and 500$ is an insane price for this amount of quality.

That's a really nice setup. I've heard nothing but great things about Modi DACs.

If I was going to go hardcore on a media room, I'd do that. But, I haven't fully settled into mega nesting mode. I got a cheapish soundbar with a sub and HDMI connection (no bluetooth) and it's good enough for watching Netflix. I wouldn't mind getting a setup like this for my computer, but then I'd end up having to go and FLAC files for all my music to make it really worth it.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 02:45:51 pm »
I'd end up having to go and FLAC files for all my music to make it really worth it.

Yeah, my friends always ask me why I buy CDs and

1) pay for your fukking art. It is theft when you download something. You do it, I don't think you're an awful person, but own your actions. It IS theft.
2) On a setup like this, 1411kbps is definitely noticeable. Listening to 320kbps MP3s is a very noticeable step down, haha
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2019, 02:50:44 pm »
I'd end up having to go and FLAC files for all my music to make it really worth it.

Yeah, my friends always ask me why I buy CDs and

1) pay for your fukking art. It is theft when you download something. You do it, I don't think you're an awful person, but own your actions. It IS theft.
2) On a setup like this, 1411kbps is definitely noticeable. Listening to 320kbps MP3s is a very noticeable step down, haha

Yeah. I sacrificed some quality for convenience and mostly listen to 320kbps or V0, mostly because I don't have a great setup and my hearing is terrible anyways, so I honestly can't notice a difference if I'm not actively focusing and trying to hear the difference.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2019, 03:05:29 pm »
I can't even tell the difference between v0 and 320kbps. And barely between v2 and v0. Do my ears suck?

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2019, 03:30:56 pm »
I can't even tell the difference between v0 and 320kbps. And barely between v2 and v0. Do my ears suck?

No. I'd wager only about 5% of the the total population could notice a difference. And like, maybe only 20-30% of people who actually care about stuff like that can notice a difference between V2 and V0. The difference between FLAC and V2 is pretty huge, though. You'd find a much higher percentage of people who would be able to hear that.

But as we get older and our ears get less sensitive, it does get harder.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2019, 08:16:26 pm »

That's good advice.

While Marantz is a Japanese brand, I doubt that model is make in Japan.