Read 1207 times

• JonathanJK
  • Waygookin

• January 24, 2019, 03:34:17 pm
    • Hong Kong
New Teaching positions for June available in Hong Kong.
« on: June 12, 2019, 12:06:41 pm »
We are American English Workshop (AEW) looking for dynamic and motivated native english teachers for many of our great teaching positions that have opened up this month.

* Employment type: full-time/part-time/commission (private tutoring)
* Working days: 4 weekdays and 1 weekend day
* Working hours: Depending on education centre 9-10am start, with a 5/6pm finish (includes prep and break time)
* Number of hours: (FT) 40 hours, with 25 hours of teaching and 15 hours of prep.
* Teaching age group: 3-9 (private tutoring ages can be older)
* Monthly pay: $20,000.00HKD to $26,000.00HKD/month + bonus ($2,500USD to $3,320USD per month).
* Start Date: Asap
* No. of teachers: We have many positions and are always hiring.
* Housing: We can assist with housing.
* Vacation : 7 days paid + 17 days paid government holidays
* Education: Bachelor's degree at least
* You should have TEFL/TESOL/CELTA certification (with a 100 hour teaching component). But we accept some teachers with less to help them get into the teaching market.
* 1-2 years teaching experience (optional but recommended)

American, Canadian, British, South African and Australian preferred.
Please include in your resume/CV a photo and the type of visa you have when applying.

NOTE: We pay for flights up to the value of $600USD if you're coming from abroad.

AEW also promises a variety of employee benefits, including travel reimbursement (as mentioned up to $600USD), work visa sponsorship, paid holidays, and bonus pay for creative and enthusiastic teachers.

We also hire full time private tutors. When applying please let us know which position you prefer, education centre work or home tutoring. Both can be full time anyway.

Send Resume to jonathanjktr@gmail.com

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
Re: New Teaching positions for June available in Hong Kong.
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 01:42:36 pm »
* Working days: 4 weekdays and 1 weekend day

So are the days off consecutive?

* Working hours: Depending on education centre 9-10am start, with a 5/6pm finish (includes prep and break time)

OK.

* Number of hours: (FT) 40 hours, with 25 hours of teaching and 15 hours of prep.

Well, how do you calculate one teaching hour?  How many actual classes per week?

* Teaching age group: 3-9 (private tutoring ages can be older)

OK.
* Monthly pay: $20,000.00HKD to $26,000.00HKD/month + bonus ($2,500USD to $3,320USD per month).

Hmmm....considering the cost of housing in Hong Kong, I'm not sure that would be worth it.  And, where does the bonus come from?  At any rate,  that is a LOW salary...especially when I 've seen TeachAway state the minimum being 28K a month. 

* Start Date: Asap

OK.

* No. of teachers: We have many positions and are always hiring.

Why are you always hiring?

* Housing: We can assist with housing.

Oh.."assist" with housing.  That is so nice of you guys, considering housing in Hong King is nearly 300%  higher there than Seoul. 

* Vacation : 7 days paid + 17 days paid government holidays

Oh so generous...7 days.  So...does HK operate like your big brothers in the PRC, when it comes to national holidays?    You know..you get the day off, but it has to be made up?  Also, 17 national holidays does not mean one gets 17 days off....

* Education: Bachelor's degree at least

Of course. 

* You should have TEFL/TESOL/CELTA certification (with a 100 hour teaching component). But we accept some teachers with less to help them get into the teaching market.

Right. 

* 1-2 years teaching experience (optional but recommended)

OK. 

American, Canadian, British, South African and Australian preferred.
Please include in your resume/CV a photo and the type of visa you have when applying.

For sure.

NOTE: We pay for flights up to the value of $600USD if you're coming from abroad.

Well then....that will help when the teacher arrives and has to have God knows how much money just to get set up in housing.

AEW also promises a variety of employee benefits, including travel reimbursement (as mentioned up to $600USD), work visa sponsorship, paid holidays, and bonus pay for creative and enthusiastic teachers

Right....you just repeated the other stuff.  Though, I don't think you guys sponsoring a visa should be under the "benefits" category.  That is what you are SUPPOSED to do. 

So, what about providing insurance, any pension plans, a completion bonus or....anything else to make it worth one's time? 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 03:33:08 pm by NorthStar »

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 02:20:54 pm »
 ;D
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

• JonathanJK
  • Waygookin

• Hong Kong
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 01:06:52 pm »
* So are the days off consecutive?

I mean at least a few of them right? IT IS 5 days fighting for survival inside a 7 day week.

* Well, how do you calculate one teaching hour?  How many actual classes per week?

1 teaching hour is a normal hour, therefore it equals 25 classes a week? I think. Good job we're not maths teachers right?

* Hmmm....considering the cost of housing in Hong Kong, I'm not sure that would be worth it.  And, where does the bonus come from?  At any rate,  that is a LOW salary...especially when I've seen TeachAway state the minimum being 28K a month.

Bonus comes every month, accommodation shouldn't be more than 25% of your wage. What kind of jobs are you comparing TeachAway to? At least make an effort to debunk our intention to hire with using comparable information.

* Why are you always hiring?

Because we're always expanding or people just want to say in HK for a year to try it out.

* Oh.."assist" with housing.  That is so nice of you guys, considering housing in Hong King is nearly 300%  higher there than Seoul. 

You want a full breakdown in an advert? Have you ever seen a yellow M on the streets? Oh snap, being concise works and people have questions to ask later.
Oh so generous...7 days.  So...does HK operate like your big brothers in the PRC, when it comes to national holidays?    You know..you get the day off, but it has to be made up?  Also, 17 national holidays does not mean one gets 17 days off....

You get the day off. Therefore 24 days paid. Shows how much you know Mr Debunker.

Well then....that will help when the teacher arrives and has to have God knows how much money just to get set up in housing.

A good candidate will budget accordingly, many candidates don't seem to have a problem. You do I guess and we would have to hand hold you every step of the way? Okay Mr Unemployable.

Right....you just repeated the other stuff.  Though, I don't think you guys sponsoring a visa should be under the "benefits" category.  That is what you are SUPPOSED to do.

Again you're showing your ignorance, some companies don't sponsor because they aren't operating legally. Also is it wrong to summarise the benefits we offer so its clearer for the candidate? The other perks are to help you as much as possible.

So, what about providing insurance, any pension plans, a completion bonus or....anything else to make it worth one's time? 

I would have thought the wage would be enough to make it worth people's time but since you asked, MPF is included but discussed later (I'm sure I don't need to explain what MPF is to an expert such as yourself), health insurance is optional since if you carry a HK ID card you get free medical attention (apart from admin fees) and we provide on-site medical insurance. Anything else to complain about?

« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 01:09:47 pm by JonathanJK »

• m.corless
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 09:52:41 pm »
Interesting approach to recruitment with that response, JonathanJK

• Colburnnn
  • Adventurer

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 08:41:16 am »
* So are the days off consecutive?

I mean at least a few of them right? IT IS 5 days fighting for survival inside a 7 day week.

* Well, how do you calculate one teaching hour?  How many actual classes per week?

1 teaching hour is a normal hour, therefore it equals 25 classes a week? I think. Good job we're not maths teachers right?

* Hmmm....considering the cost of housing in Hong Kong, I'm not sure that would be worth it.  And, where does the bonus come from?  At any rate,  that is a LOW salary...especially when I've seen TeachAway state the minimum being 28K a month.

Bonus comes every month, accommodation shouldn't be more than 25% of your wage. What kind of jobs are you comparing TeachAway to? At least make an effort to debunk our intention to hire with using comparable information.

* Why are you always hiring?

Because we're always expanding or people just want to say in HK for a year to try it out.

* Oh.."assist" with housing.  That is so nice of you guys, considering housing in Hong King is nearly 300%  higher there than Seoul. 

You want a full breakdown in an advert? Have you ever seen a yellow M on the streets? Oh snap, being concise works and people have questions to ask later.

You get the day off. Therefore 24 days paid. Shows how much you know Mr Debunker.

A good candidate will budget accordingly, many candidates don't seem to have a problem. You do I guess and we would have to hand hold you every step of the way? Okay Mr Unemployable.

Again you're showing your ignorance, some companies don't sponsor because they aren't operating legally. Also is it wrong to summarise the benefits we offer so its clearer for the candidate? The other perks are to help you as much as possible.

I would have thought the wage would be enough to make it worth people's time but since you asked, MPF is included but discussed later (I'm sure I don't need to explain what MPF is to an expert such as yourself), health insurance is optional since if you carry a HK ID card you get free medical attention (apart from admin fees) and we provide on-site medical insurance. Anything else to complain about?

That is an incredibly unprofessional response...

And 7 days off is a joke. Laughable.

• JonathanJK
  • Waygookin

• Hong Kong
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 09:33:30 am »
Interesting approach to recruitment with that response, JonathanJK

Snark and ridicule is replied too with snark and ridicule.
Person isn't really being honest, just wants to cast doubt.

So go for it. Don't complain if you don't like the reply given.

Can't say I'm not honest however.

• JonathanJK
  • Waygookin

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 09:42:45 am »

That is an incredibly unprofessional response...

And 7 days off is a joke. Laughable.

A lot of centres offer a 5.5 working day week, which is really slick marketing, because that's 6 days of course.

We offer 5 days of work in a week and if the tutor wants to work extra we can offer them private tutoring on top which brings in a higher hourly pay. ($60USD an hour). Just 2 hours brings in 120USD x 4 weeks and you're looking at $480USD before deductions. (Or just work for us as a private tutor).

Compared to other education centres in hk, you get more time off and the 7 paid days + national holidays, if you add it up that's 24 days then the 104 (2 days off a week x 52 weeks) and you're looking at 128 days off in a calendar year.

365 - 128 = 237 remaining work days with the potential for further PAID time off for black rain storm days and typhoon days. We compensate for those natural events which happen often here.

So in a given year you get the equivalent of 4 months off. Why are you complaining?

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 03:27:19 pm »
Why are you complaining?

The fact that you asked that is highly entertaining...go on, roughneck.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 10:25:02 pm »

So in a given year you get the equivalent of 4 months off. Why are you complaining?
wtf. did you just calculate "days off" including saturday/sunday?

amazing idea. i'm gonna start a new company. but you have to work 14 hour days and you work 6 days a week. BUT i'm gonna advertise it as "you get 52 days holiday a year!"

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 10:07:29 am »
Bottom line is...the school is always hiring, for one reason or another.

Apparently, folks don't think the amount of days off equates to the utopia the OP makes it out to be.

Anyway...go on OP...dazzle us.

• JonathanJK
  • Waygookin

• Hong Kong
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 09:00:13 am »
Too many bored people here nitpicking, instead of finding a job.