Read 503 times

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
You have no idea how much I hate Windows 10
« on: June 11, 2019, 08:23:35 am »
My computer at school has Windows 10. There is always some issue. Yesterday they did a fresh install and it worked for a while then it started this update cycle that effectively put it out of action for the whole day. Eventually it came online and blow me down when I wanted to shut it down yesterday it started this update thing again. I left it updating. This morning I came to school and turned it on, guess what,  it spent another hour updating.

What a pain.

I have an 8 year old Mac Mini at home and I never have any problems with it. It just works. From pushing the button to boot it up to being able to work, 15 seconds.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 08:27:33 am by confusedsafferinkorea »
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: You have no idea how much I hate Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 08:32:50 am »
Windows 10 is fine once you get used to the layout. I reinstalled windows 10 on my home PC on Saturday, took 40 mins, plus about 20 minutes of updating and then it was fine.
Chances are, there is a problem with the computer itself, cause if the install isn't done correctly, it just won't work.

and EWWWWW mac computers. :p

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 08:41:19 am »
My computer at school has Windows 10. There is always some issue. Yesterday they did a fresh install and it worked for a while then it started this update cycle that effectively put it out of action for the whole day. Eventually it came online and blow me down when I wanted to shut it down yesterday it started this update thing again. I left it updating. This morning I came to school and turned it on, guess what,  it spent another hour updating.

What a pain.

I have an 8 year old Mac Mini at home and I never have any problems with it. It just works. From pushing the button to boot it up to being able to work, 15 seconds.

It simply hasn't been setup properly, you can choose when you want the updates to happen.
I have a mid 2014 Macbook Pro Retina, which I take to school everyday. It's hardy and I love it, though I've had to replace the battery twice already. However, I'll never buy another Apple product again, constantly having to input 2 different passwords every 5 minutes, compatibility issues between Mac and PC, yeah, I'm out.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 08:53:18 am »

What a pain.

It simply hasn't been setup properly, you can choose when you want the updates to happen.
I have a mid 2014 Macbook Pro Retina, which I take to school everyday. It's hardy and I love it, though I've had to replace the battery twice already. However, I'll never buy another Apple product again, constantly having to input 2 different passwords every 5 minutes, compatibility issues between Mac and PC, yeah, I'm out.

And you forgot to mention how it costs like 8 fresh human kidney's, just to get the older model of Mac :O (Because with Macs, you pay loads just for the brand, then a couple thousand more for the pc :P )

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 09:19:04 am »

What a pain.

And you forgot to mention how it costs like 8 fresh human kidney's, just to get the older model of Mac :O (Because with Macs, you pay loads just for the brand, then a couple thousand more for the pc :P )

Actually when I bought my Mac it was cheaper than any thing comparable on the market, so I am not sure where you are coming from.

My first was an iMac 21 inch (wanted an all in one computer) and I was in Korea at the time and I paid 1,3 m won for it.  LG, HP etc at that time were all in excess of 2 million and they were made of shitty plastic whereas the Mac had a high quality aluminium body with an awesome display.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 09:25:21 am by confusedsafferinkorea »

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 09:20:34 am »
constantly having to input 2 different passwords every 5 minutes,

Never heard of this  and never had to do it.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 09:22:32 am »
classicshell.net

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 09:27:12 am »
constantly having to input 2 different passwords every 5 minutes,

Never heard of this  and never had to do it.

+1

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 09:30:25 am »
I don't want to turn this into a Apple vs whatever debate which is completely stupid, I just hate using Windows after 8 years on a Mac. Remember too that I learnt everything I know about computers on Windows so its not like I haven't used both systems. My first laptop had Windows Vista on it and I dubbed it an OS from hell. Microsoft should have given every Vista user a free update to Windows 7.  BTW, Apple gives you the latest OS for free every year.

I think I have said enough on this subject now.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• NZ
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 09:35:48 am »

What a pain.

Actually when I bought my Mac it was cheaper than any thing comparable on the market, so I am not sure where you are coming from.

My first was an iMac 21 inch (wanted an all in one computer) and I was in Korea at the time and I paid 1,3 m won for it.  LG, HP etc at that time were all in excess of 2 million and they were made of shitty plastic whereas the Mac had a high quality aluminium body with an awesome display.

A number of years ago, like early 2000s, the price between a mac, and a windows pc, of similar specs, was the mac was usually like $1000 more, and that extra cost was usually because of the brand. And there was always a lot of microcosts they don't tell you about. Nowadays, I think the price is more comparable but, I still love making the joke about it being a lot more expensive.

I was a computing major in university, and we would often say, macs/apple are for the technologically impaired :p

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 09:43:59 am »
I was a computing major in university, and we would often say, macs/apple are for the technologically impaired :p

That's definitely true but at least the operating system works out of the box and you don't have to go searching for obscure drivers.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 09:55:02 am »
They're probably re-installing a very old version of windows 10, which then has install a few years' worth of cumulative updates before it is fully up to date.

I don't know what the specs of your school computer are, as that could also add to the problem.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 10:18:10 am »
but at least the operating system works out of the box and you don't have to go searching for obscure drivers.

That about sums up my feelings. I used to do installations of Windows for a large attorney firm and I hated having to always find the service packs and all the drivers for printers, display etc.

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 10:41:53 am »
but at least the operating system works out of the box and you don't have to go searching for obscure drivers.

That about sums up my feelings. I used to do installations of Windows for a large attorney firm and I hated having to always find the service packs and all the drivers for printers, display etc.
Good thing they got rid of that in Win 10.

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 01:16:08 pm »
Windows 10 is great.

-cheap
-can download the 100% English version (much better than
having English over a basically Korean O/S)
-has about every driver known to humans
-keeps your computer safe (automatically updates anti-virus software)
-easy to use
-very easy to install (clean install in less than an hour)
-can opt not to install features you dislike (Cortana)

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 01:56:36 pm »
It's evil because MS learnt that their main revenue stream is not to develop new releases but to provide subscription based services only.  :huh:

Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 03:07:48 pm »

A big part of this is specific to the Korean market. Korean electronics sell in Korea for significantly more than they do in markets that have more competition.

I saw an article where a guy wanted a TV that sold in stores here for 2 million (at the time, equiv to ~1800 USD). He got a TV from the same company with the same specs delivered from the US for a total (including import duty) of 1,200 USD.

And most computer enthusiasts who consider Macs overpriced are ignoring the monitor, as they're usually upgrading their computers more often than screens. As well, with a lot of the Mac lineup, you can put something together for a lot less that's more powerful. But that depends.

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2019, 05:26:50 pm »
absolutely hate how windows will automatically update itself without asking you.