Read 670 times

Question for those who don't current live in Korea
« on: June 10, 2019, 05:45:17 pm »
Question for those who don't current live in Korea - What do you do now? And how long have you been away from Korea?

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Veteran

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • On the Bitcoin train!
    more
Re: Question for those who don't current live in Korea
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 03:12:01 am »

Dear Telephone33,

Judging from your most recent posts it seems you have been considering going back home lately, congratulations and welcome back!
Even though many ESL teachers do make a career switch once back home, you should not disparage the idea of continuing your teaching career, unless you are Canadian. It seems Canada is the only country which strangely has a surplus of teachers according to Foreverparadise , but as far as I know, every other country in the world is struggling to find good teachers. If you are Canadian, my advice would be to stay in Korea for as long as you can.

There are many blogs and examples of teachers who have returned and who basically all give the same advice: save up a lot before you go back and retrain.
In answer to your questions:
I left 7 years ago and started teaching low-ability students at inner-city schools, predominantly with a muslim background. Those students, both boys and girls, are incredibly difficult to teach because of the religious differences between the students.  But as soon as I had started my BA in Education, other schools were responding to my applications and it took only a short time for me to escape that difficult inner-city environment.

Fast forward 3 years and I am doing very well, with my goal of getting to my top pay scale 7,2 million a month within 10 years in sight. I do have dual nationality, several degrees and a Masters in Education which has cost me a lot of money and a total of 6 years of tough evening classes. Most of these study costs were compensated by either the school or the state through their 'Teach First' Teacher's programmes (UK-EU). https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/teachers-salary-and-teaching-benefits/teacher-salaries
Headteachers
Max   £111,007= 14 million Kwon a month

Unqualified teachers
Max   £30,452   =3,75 million won
Min   £17,208   £21,641   £20,441   £18,339= 2,1 mill.

I am also an incredibly nice and forgiving person all round in class (Not so much at home :azn:), which is important to emphasise, because if you would act in UK schools like a Korean teacher would (shouting- passive aggressive- shaming etc.) or like Mr.Martino recommends we should all behave in class, you'd be fired in no-time.  :wink:

In short, if you have been considering returning, I would recommend you to do so as quickly as possible and get back into college, teach ESL while you are getting your professional Ba/Ma in Education either teaching latinos in the States or Muslim immigrants in the UK.

Alternatively, I had been considering getting a programming degree but specifically in COBOL, an incredibly archaic programming language for which it is increasingly complicated to find people for but the entire banking system is built on it. But seeing how well I am doing now at almost the top of my teaching career, and how my ESL experience is appreciated by top college prep. schools I think I will remain a teacher for the rest of my life.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 11:02:33 pm by HappyPlanetAbuser »
Drumpf kopf 2020!

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 04:17:13 am »
Question for those who don't current live in Korea - What do you do now? And how long have you been away from Korea?
More important is what are you interested in/ qualified for doing? There are jobs aplenty in the US with unemployment at 3.6% ans while many of them are crap as corporations are using the gig economy to squeeze workers, if you're in the right field there should be plenty of opportunity.

There's a teacher shortage in many areas of the US , but much of that is linked to low pay, lack of funding, etc.

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Veteran

• On the Bitcoin train!
    more
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 05:48:59 am »
True, the Republicans have been committing a terrible crime against immigrants and minorities schools which is why you should come back before the economic crisis hits, giving you enough time to escape these 'black' schools and move into a better school district.
Drumpf kopf 2020!

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 05:52:07 am »
Telephone33

real person or data mining bot?

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Veteran

• On the Bitcoin train!
    more
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 06:11:27 am »
I think bots wouldn't make any grammatical errors which are easily spotted by MS Word

currently :azn:

Seems to me he's much more in tune with a question we are all forced to ask ourselves one day sooner or later: Why am I still in Korea?  :lipsrsealed:

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 07:07:48 am by HappyPlanetAbuser »
Drumpf kopf 2020!

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 08:03:44 am »
I think the biggest difference is how people react when I say I am a teacher:
KOREA: "You useless white foreigner scum merely teaching your own language."
EU: "Thank you, we know it is a very hard job and we think it's great that you are helping our children."

Dear Telephone33,

Judging from your most recent posts it seems you have been considering going back home lately, congratulations and welcome back!
Even though many ESL teachers do make a career switch once back home, you should not disparage the idea of continuing your teaching career, unless you are Canadian. It seems Canada is the only country which strangely has a surplus of teachers according to Foreverparadise , but as far as I know, every other country in the world is struggling to find good teachers. If you are Canadian, my advice would be to stay in Korea for as long as you can.

There are many blogs and examples of teachers who have returned and who basically all give the same advice: save up a lot before you go back and retrain.
In answer to your questions:
I left 7 years ago and started teaching low-ability students at inner-city schools, predominantly with a muslim background. Those students, both boys and girls, are incredibly difficult to teach because of the religious differences between the students.  But as soon as I had started my BA in Education, other schools were responding to my applications and it took only a short time for me to escape that difficult inner-city environment.

Fast forward 3 years and I am doing very well, with my goal of getting to my top pay scale 7,2 million a month within 10 years in sight. I do have dual nationality, several degrees and a Masters in Education which has cost me a lot of money and a total of 6 years of tough evening classes. Most of these study costs were compensated by either the school or the state through their 'Teach First' Teacher's programmes (UK-EU). https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/teachers-salary-and-teaching-benefits/teacher-salaries
Headteachers
Max   £111,007= 14 million Kwon a month

Unqualified teachers
Max   £30,452   =3,75 million won
Min   £17,208   £21,641   £20,441   £18,339= 2,1 mill.

I am also an incredibly nice and forgiving person all round in class (Not so much at home :azn:), which is important to emphasise, because if you would act in UK schools like a Korean teacher would (shouting- passive aggressive- shaming etc.) or like Mr.Martino recommends we should all behave in class, you'd be fired in no-time.  :wink:

In short, if you have been considering returning, I would recommend you to do so as quickly as possible and get back into college, teach ESL while you are getting your professional Ba/Ma in Education either teaching latinos in the States or Muslim immigrants in the UK.

Alternatively, I had been considering getting a programming degree but specifically in COBOL, an incredibly archaic programming language for which it is increasingly complicated to find people for but the entire banking system is built on it. But seeing how well I am doing now at almost the top of my teaching career, and how my ESL experience is appreciated by top college prep. schools I think I will remain a teacher for the rest of my life.

In NZ, there is a teacher shortage. They are struggling to find, and keep, teachers. New teachers often give up the profession within 4 years in NZ. And I read a news article from NZ yesterday, where a former cop of 35 years, decided to change to teaching (about a year or so ago), and said: the stress level of teaching, rivals that of being a police officer.
Currently, in NZ, teachers in any decent sized city, or working for a decent sized school, are working up to 18 hours a day, and most weekends, and aren't getting paid for a lot of their work. The teachers are sort of expected to repair things in the classroom if something breaks (depends on the school though, I guess); And the pay for a new teacher is around $47,000 NZD per year.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 08:27:05 am »
It's worth pointing out that head teachers in the UK would actually get 8.8 million a month after tax. 7.2 million would be 5.2 after tax (pretty easy to get here if you're on an F visa and possible even if you're not) and top of the scale 'unqualified' teachers 3.7 million a month. Not sure what that means by the way, do they let unqualified teachers work in UK schools?

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 08:50:46 am »
It's worth pointing out that head teachers in the UK would actually get 8.8 million a month after tax. 7.2 million would be 5.2 after tax (pretty easy to get here if you're on an F visa and possible even if you're not) and top of the scale 'unqualified' teachers 3.7 million a month. Not sure what that means by the way, do they let unqualified teachers work in UK schools?

Yeah they do. If you apply for a programme like Schools Direct you teach whilst working on your PGCE. At the end of the year you get QTS.

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 09:14:38 am »

Yeah they do. If you apply for a programme like Schools Direct you teach whilst working on your PGCE. At the end of the year you get QTS.

Yes but how could they get paid 30 grand? The maximum for UK qualified teachers is only 35k.  newly qualified teachers start on 23k. How could an unqualified teacher get more than a qualified one?

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 09:45:13 am »
Been out since February 2015, went to China for two years, it was great except for the government and Winnie the Pooh. Now in Taiwan, cool place, cool people, cool food.  I really like it here and can recommend it.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Veteran

• On the Bitcoin train!
    more
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 05:49:49 pm »
Yes but how could they get paid 30 grand? . How could an unqualified teacher get more than a qualified one?

I believe you get paid a bonus if you work at 'black' schools.
5.2 after tax (pretty easy to get here if you're on an F visa

I have not heard of any NET getting more than 3 million but I could be wrong. Even if it would work out to being roughly even, you would never be considered for middle management or becoming dept.head and go up into even higher pay scales. You'd also have a generally better outlook on daily life by simply being able to work with 'professional' teachers.

The main attraction of teaching back home compared to Korea to me is that contrary to how my classes were viewed in Korea, here my classes are viewed as part of the core curriculum and my professional expertise is not only asked but even expected of me.  It also adds to the overall experience to work in historical buildings filled with ancient traditions of learning, seeing your students continuing that tradition and studying hard without any shouting or threatening of a particularly upset Korean co-T; I never felt that way working at YBM or other hakwons, I never saw students eagerly studying and listening to my stories about world politics in Korea. Just the other day I was checking my email and I had received 4 essays from students going up for their Cambridge exam. I hadn't told them to submit one, but merely said they could and then I would give them some feedback. When would a Korean class ever submit essays to you if you told them they didn't need to but simply 'could' submit them and you 'might' take a look at them?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 06:37:26 pm by HappyPlanetAbuser »
Drumpf kopf 2020!

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 05:56:07 pm »
Yes but how could they get paid 30 grand? . How could an unqualified teacher get more than a qualified one?

got any sources to back all this up?

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 06:03:56 pm »

got any sources to back all this up?

I think he's having a hilarious dig at me for being a nazi/fascist//alt-right/racist etc..

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Veteran

• On the Bitcoin train!
    more
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2019, 06:47:04 pm »
Surely not, dear Eggs, you might come across as a bit conscientious about the recent demographic changes in the UK, but overall nobody here would think you to be of the same cloth as that prick Nigel Farage.

As a newly qualified teacher, you’ll begin on a salary of at least £23,720, or £29,664 in inner London. As you rise up the pay ranges, you could earn as much as £118,490 as a headteacher, in inner London.

Qualified Teachers in Inner London
Main Pay Range

£28,098
£39,006
Upper Pay Range
£47,298

https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/teachers-salary-and-teaching-benefits/teacher-salaries
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 07:18:14 pm by HappyPlanetAbuser »
Drumpf kopf 2020!

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 06:52:55 pm »
Still no clearer what an 'unqualified teacher' is. Assuming it's not someone still doing their PGCE

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 07:06:27 pm »
Meh. 35k is 3.4 mil won a month after tax. I used to get 4 mil tax free at the BC (inc housing allowance) 5 mil with IELTS testing, on an E2.

Just the other day I was checking my email and I had received 4 essays from students going up for their Cambridge exam. I hadn't told them to submit one, but merely said they could and then I would give them some feedback. When would a Korean class ever submit essays to you if you told them they didn't need to but simply 'could' submit them and you 'might' take a look at them?

Getting extra marking is an advantage??

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Veteran

• On the Bitcoin train!
    more
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 07:19:50 pm »
 ;D

Yes, I loved reading their essays.

I think unqualified teachers would  basically mean anyone without a B.ed. but perhaps a BA in a relevant field, working to get their PGCE. The shortages at inner-city schools are that dire that a lot of unqualified staff is hired that are then asked to get their qualifications while working.

England – Assessment Only Qualified Teacher Status (AOQTS).
A school-based portfolio development and assessment process leading to recommendation for QTS - the status required to be a qualified teacher in England. Candidates use the QTS standards outlined in Teachers' Standards in England from September 2012 as the basis for demonstrating their abilities as they teach their students. Those successfully meeting the standards are recommended to the government for QTS.

Alternative teacher professional development options for British educators include:

The International Postgraduate Certificate in Education (iPGCE), available to individuals outside of England, is an academic course that results in a postgraduate certificate in education. The iPGCE does not and cannot include QTS which is required to be a fully qualified teacher, unless it also includes the Assessment Only Route.

The Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE), only available to individuals enrolling on training courses in England, is an academic award that results in a PGCE. Almost all PGCE courses include a recommendation for QTS.

Enrolling in a three to four-year undergraduate course leading to the award of a bachelors' degree with recommendation for QTS.

Some school-based training providers in England offer training for QTS without the award of PGCE.
For teachers who learn to teach with support of their colleagues, enrolling on a training course to fill gaps in, and present evidence of, their knowledge and skills is an expensive way to confirm their claim that they can demonstrate the standards for QTS.

The Assessment Only route to QTS presents a credible and realistic approach to QTS and is the only way unqualified teachers in international schools can achieve QTS without having to enroll on a training route in the UK.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:37:20 pm by HappyPlanetAbuser »
Drumpf kopf 2020!

• oglop
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Seoul
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 07:24:44 pm »
Meh. 35k is 3.4 mil won a month after tax.

yeah, really. i make more than that at my part time elementary school job i have atm. not trying to show off... but 35k really isn't that great. i imagine the amount of work being insane, too

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 10:05:04 pm »
I am headed back to the US in a couple months from my current university to start a tenure track position. I'll miss the 3 month paid vacations here, but the start of over 70 mil per year in the US plus major pension benefits will more than make up for it.