Read 1406 times

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
Re: Air-Conditioningitis
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2019, 10:04:00 am »
My aircon is on as soon as I get in the door after work.  Between 20 and 21.  I like to be cold  :laugh:

I keep 23 degrees Celsius in my home during winter, so when I read something like this it makes me wonder: If a person likes to keep their home at 20 degrees Celsius in summer... what temperature would they have their thermostat set on in winter? Since people tend to wear warmer clothes even at home in winter (socks, sweatpants, long sleeve T-shirt or sweater) as opposed to summer when you are barefeet and wearing a light T-shirt with shorts, I would say it should be no more than 17 or 18 degrees Celsius.
Same dilemma with those that keep their home at a toasty 26-27 degrees Celsius in winter. Do they "cool" their house to 28-29 celsius in summer? Because that's the only way it makes sense to me. I've told this many times to my students but they don't seem to get my point. They want the A/C to be set at around 20 degrees Celsius but want several degrees higher than that in winter. When they also wear an entire wardrobe of clothes and the puffy jackets of course. It also blows my mind when they refuse to even unzip said jackets in the heated classroom and walk out into the -10 Celsius weather wearing exactly the same things like they did in +25 Celsius in class. I just can't wrap my head around this.

Heating doesn't, in my experience, give off humidity like summer heats can. 23C with certain levels of humidity could easily feel like 29C.
For summer, I turn my AC to 18C when I first turn it on but, once I cool down I turn it up to about 22C. My AC doesn't do heat, so if I use it in the winter, it will just make me cold.
My heater doesn't show heat with a number, so I just set it to what makes me feel comfortable.
I also hate being at home and wearing winter clothes. When I'm in my house, I just want to be in a t-shirt and my underwear, and shorts depending on the time of day. :p

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2019, 11:57:59 am »
Kayos being 'comfortable' at home:

Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2019, 12:06:56 pm »
Yeah, the seemingly nonsensical way people adjust their thermostats/ACs/heaters has to do with current acclimations as well as humidity levels. When the air is dry, it feels cooler, and people feel the cold more deeply. When it's humid, it works in the opposite direction.

I love to keep things icy cold, so when it's in my home or when I'm alone in my classroom, I'll set my A/C units to 18C, but I'll raise the one in my classroom up to around 23-24C whenever I'm about to have a class because my students just can't handle anything cooler than that unless they're coming from PE; however, it remains comfortable at those temperatures if the humidity levels are relatively low.

I find having the A/C on at around those temperatures on really humid or warm days to be unbearable, though, because it can actually increase the humidity level in the classrooms and make them super muggy. Like it would be better to turn the units off and open up some windows because it's less humid outside, lol, and at least the airflow wouldn't make me feel like I'm suffocating.

I never use the heater in the winter. I love the cold, and I'm fine wrapping myself up in blankets or wearing snuggly PJs.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 12:12:33 pm by Chinguetti »

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2019, 05:52:37 pm »
With regard to air conditioning use right now I have not used it at all. In fact, I really only use it near the end of August (after returning from vacation...) and even then only for an hour or two around midnight to cool my bedroom down before sleeping - I use a fan while I sleep, and also during the day if it's hot and I need a breeze. Much cheaper all round, and I think better for my health...

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2019, 07:28:31 pm »
A good way to feel sick and get a headache is to not use AC in Korea in summer.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2019, 11:48:22 pm »
Yeah, I even left that thing on while I was out, just to not have to sweat profusely after a short 5 min. walk home. And my bill in the summers were only around 80.000.
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!