Read 2334 times

Re: Best description of life in Korea
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2019, 04:05:31 pm »
Exactly Kyndo.  If there is a discussion about the Dutch and living in Holland and you chime in, then that is worth more to me than someone who read an article about the Dutch and thinks that supersedes your experience and your opinion of living there.  What demartian falls into the trap again and again is he thinks he knows everything just because he read something about it but lacks the life experience to compare anything with.  He is what is known in Korea as a '우물안 개구리' (well frog).  I lived in Scandinavia, I go back there almost twice a year, my best friends are there, I know the culture and for a fact while there are a minority (and I mean a few) who think superficially like him, the vast majority, with their upbringing, their education and their society are more geared to everyone being the same.  When you compare it to the Korean hierarchy we live in, it is like night and day.  That is the part he refuses to admit, which is the funniest thing. 
Ronnie, do you understand what personal anecdotes are and how reliable they are? What makes you an authority on anything?

I have behavioral and cognitive science backing my opinion. You have the brief internet arguings of a guy admits that he can't even maintain sufficient focus to read a book.

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2019, 04:48:40 pm »
I would have to agree with Mr. Egg-turned-flat-sunny-side-up.
In Sweden I felt free and unencumbered, in Korea each move was monitored, each day I came back at 5 am noticed and each walk to work bombarded with 100s of 'hellos'. Korea was lovely but suffocating. I remember one day a grandpa saying behind me: ''That foreigner scum only pretends to be well-off with his 200.000 won shoes.'' Then he spat. I never went back to his store again. And once I had invited some friends to come over on the phone, windows open, and the next day the old people at the park were talking about being curious to see what my friends looked like. Laughing they said: ''Do those white assholes have friends? I thought they came here because nobody wants them in their home country.''

Now back in Europe, nobody knows nor cares about who I am or what I do. I call that Freedom.

Koreans are great people but behind your back people trash you and probably everyone for no good reason.
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2019, 05:13:47 pm »
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino

I have behavioral and cognitive science backing my opinion. You have the brief internet arguings of a guy admits that he can't even maintain sufficient focus to read a book.

That's the second time I've seen you bring that up as an insult or a reason to discredit him, and I kinda wish you'd stop. Different people have varying abilities to maintain focus on different things, and people process information differently. It isn't a reflection of their intelligence or the reliability of anything they say. I don't know whether you're still in education, but if you are, that's something you might want to keep in mind when dealing with your students.

That's not to say I agree with anything Mr. Omelettes has said in this or any other thread, of course. I'm going to stay away from that entirely. I just felt like chiming in on that particular statement, because much like people using "autist" as an insult these days, I don't like seeing people use anyone's learning or information processing abilities against them like that.

Apologies of course if that wasn't your intention, just know that that's how you're coming off here.

« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2019, 05:51:55 pm »
Apologies of course if that wasn't your intention, just know that that's how you're coming off here.
It's a bit of banter. Obviously there are illiterates who are extremely perceptive and intelligence. The thing is Ronnie loves to dish it out and he loves to come in swinging and throw around the insults, so he should be fine with some banter back. There's also the fact that he's declaring himself an expert and once you put that out there, then well, "opposing counsel" is free to question that. Not to mention the whole anecdote vs. data angle and unreliable narrator angle.

Anyways, you probably have a point and that will be the last time.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 05:56:55 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2019, 07:33:02 pm »
Am I the only one who thought Ronnie was a girl?

Are they?
The joys of fauxtherhood

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

more
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2019, 08:33:18 pm »
No mate, I have  also complained bitterly about the disappointment about R's moobs.   ;D
He's still a lovable colleague though, may it be imagined less fondly now by me when reading his funny remarks. ;D

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2019, 10:28:44 pm »
in Korea each move was monitored, each day I came back at 5 am noticed and each walk to work bombarded with 100s of 'hellos'. Korea was lovely but suffocating. I remember one day a grandpa saying behind me: ''That foreigner scum only pretends to be well-off with his 200.000 won shoes.'' Then he spat. I never went back to his store again. And once I had invited some friends to come over on the phone, windows open, and the next day the old people at the park were talking about being curious to see what my friends looked like. Laughing they said: ''Do those white assholes have friends? I thought they came here because nobody wants them in their home country.''.

If you know enough Korean to understand all that- everything people are saying around you- then you must have been here quite a while.

If you didn't like it, why did you stay so long?
Catch my drift?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2019, 11:10:58 pm »

Are they?
shut up! ronnie's a guy's name, isn't it?

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

more
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2019, 11:31:20 pm »
EXHIBIT A: o:18 sec  ...My name's Ronnie and...  :-*
Ronnie’s Free English Lessons

Hi, I'm Ronnie! My first ever teaching English experience lasted 4 years in the beautiful remote region of Obihiro in Hokkaido, Japan! And now I find myself in Toronto, Canada teaching ESL and business English.
https://youtu.be/iMWPK-UqZjU
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 11:40:28 pm by HappyPlanetAbuser »

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

more
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2019, 11:34:07 pm »
I think we all get stuck in that EFL trap: friends, job, life, cool team; it's just easier to stay than to leave especially if you have great colleagues and I had never realised before that Koreans were so racist there.

Working in Korea was a great experience for me and it has given me an ever increasing competitive edge which has landed me a top job at a top college prep. but Koreans do not respect you and imo they do not deserve the daily commitment you guys put into your innovative teaching approaches. Instead, they treat you as an afterthought at best.
Come back home, we need you, too.
https://www.teachingvillage.org/2014/05/26/tefl-teaching-slavery-or-career-path/
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 03:11:55 am by HappyPlanetAbuser »

« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2019, 09:18:12 am »

Are they?

Not sure if you're joking  :-[ :laugh:

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2019, 10:30:05 am »

Are they?

No, cause he was a previous poster by another name (I assume).

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2019, 02:50:11 pm »
There's a very large and rapidly growing Korean diaspora where I live and I have taught and worked with many of them. I've yet to meet one who wants to go back to Korea. All, without exception, like the more open, friendly and accepting atmosphere here coupled with the totally laid back lifestyle where everything still happens, but on its own time in its own way.

For me, my memory of the best description of life in Korea is it's noisy, busy, and everything is planned to death - including having fun.

To quote Frank Zappa, I was only in it for the money. Got it...got out...happy!

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2019, 05:34:52 pm »
All, without exception, like the more open, friendly and accepting atmosphere here coupled with the totally laid back lifestyle where everything still happens, but on its own time in its own way.
What Koreans tell westerners and what they actually think can be completely different. Just like with Koreans here in Korea (or overseas for that matter), there are people back home (and who sometimes come to Korea) who give off this sort of vibe of "Tell me how great America is Mr./Ms. Immigrant. Aren't we just the greatest thing in the world?" And immigrants from around the world generally smile and nod and "Oh yeah, America is soooo much better than Ireland/Colombia/Taiwan/India/Egypt/etc." and in many cases, they really do feel that way. But if no one EVER says it? Yeah, someone might be giving off a certain vibe that they pick up on and they don't feel comfortable saying what they honestly think.

You know this in Korea. We've all experienced some Korean person who expects us to tell them how great Korea is and how much bettter they are and blah blah blah. There's these kinds of people everywhere. Trust me, they exist back in our countries too.

As for things being more open, friendly, welcoming, and laid back, yeah that can really depend on what community you are in and what job you have. NYC/DC can be a pressure cooker every bit as much as Seoul. LA or NYC can be every bit as judgmental, cold, status-conscious, etc. as Korea. Someone going from BFE Gangwon-do to Dallas or Chicago could be in for much more of a shock than someone moving from Seoul to Seattle or vice-versa. If they move to some place where they're the only Asian family or student, yeah they might get totally welcomed...or feel totally isolated. There's also the honeymoon phase.

I know Koreans who never want to go back. I know Koreans who couldn't wait to go back. And I know Koreans who wish they could alternate every year or every 6 months. As for percentages? I could only hazard a guess. As for reasons? I bet it is highly dependent on status in both countries and what environment they came from and where they end up IMO.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2019, 11:35:12 pm »
What Koreans tell westerners and what they actually think can be completely different.
So true.

I know Koreans who never want to go back. I know Koreans who couldn't wait to go back.
Met a few guys, and gals, who couldn't stand it overseas. Met a few who loved it. Percentage wise no idea. But based on my experience I'd say it's like 70/30 for those who want to go back to Korea.

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2019, 02:29:20 pm »
Like I mentioned, there's a large Korean diaspora here. You could emigrate from Korea and pretty much live in Korea here if you wanted to. From restaurants to entire shopping malls and areas of this small city. So, if a Korean were of such a bent, it would be similar in every way except it's always summer time and the attitude is reeeeeeelaxed. 2 speeds here, man. Slow and asleep. Plus it's cheap.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2019, 02:49:27 pm »
Like I mentioned, there's a large Korean diaspora here. You could emigrate from Korea and pretty much live in Korea here if you wanted to. From restaurants to entire shopping malls and areas of this small city. So, if a Korean were of such a bent, it would be similar in every way except it's always summer time and the attitude is reeeeeeelaxed. 2 speeds here, man. Slow and asleep. Plus it's cheap.

Where is 'here'?
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

more
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2019, 08:49:45 pm »
Vancouver me thinks