Read 954 times

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
SK U18's stripped of trophy for 'indecent' celebration
« on: June 01, 2019, 10:03:12 pm »

South Korea beat China 3-0 to win the 2019 Panda Cup but were later stripped of the trophy

South Korea Under-18s have been stripped of a trophy for "indecent" celebrations after a player posed for a photo with his foot on it.

South Korea beat China 3-0 to win the Panda Cup on Wednesday, but the team were forced to apologise after they were criticised online for the "unforgivable" images.

Chinese fans, who watched their team lose all three Panda Cup matches in Chengdu, expressed their anger as the social media topic 'Panda Cup committee takes back South Korean national team's trophy' went viral.

"I swear, we will never forgive Korean football," said one user, while another described the behaviour as "barbaric and vulgar".

https://3g.modasys.net/index.php/sports/world-sports/football/36152-south-korea-u18s-stripped-of-trophy-for-indecent-celebration.html

Only a generation of kids raised in hogwons would not know that such behaviour is not acceptable.
Catch my drift?

Re: SK U18's stripped of trophy for 'indecent' celebration
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 02:48:35 am »
I don't get what the big deal is myself. English teams have always messed around with trophies after winning them. Chucking them to each other, putting the lid on their heads etc..there was a rugby team that got caught kicking one along a street in Edinburgh once after a big drinking session, but that probably was going a bit far.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 02:51:05 am by eggieguffer »

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 08:10:54 am »
While it was pretty inappropriate, I'd 100% put my money on this being a case of China playing the victim card, being ridiculously sore losers and the horde mentality of rabid nationalism.
Most Chinese people probably didn't give a crap about the u18 football team until they saw this. They're a few dumb kids, they apologised, but no, they refused the apology and took back the trophy.
Honestly, I'd be incredibly surprised if  the Chinese fans were gracious in defeat, especially in these political times. 

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 09:29:49 am »
reading the title makes it seems like they did something crazy. but this..? mountains and molehills

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 09:38:14 am »
The Global Times said: "The only way to stop similar incidents from happening is very simple: They must start winning."

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 10:35:49 am »
While it was pretty inappropriate, I'd 100% put my money on this being a case of China playing the victim card, being ridiculously sore losers and the horde mentality of rabid nationalism.
Most Chinese people probably didn't give a crap about the u18 football team until they saw this. They're a few dumb kids, they apologised, but no, they refused the apology and took back the trophy.
Honestly, I'd be incredibly surprised if  the Chinese fans were gracious in defeat, especially in these political times. 

Next step, is for China to slap Korea with more tarrifs.

China are truly sore losers.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 05:21:08 pm »
Next step, is for China to slap Korea with more tarrifs.

China are truly sore losers.

Looks like Korea has finally encountered a nation with even less emotional maturity than them. I mean its not like Korea doesn't slap tarrifs on all foreign imports and complain every time they lose an international sports event.

I don't get what the big deal is myself. English teams have always messed around with trophies after winning them. Chucking them to each other, putting the lid on their heads etc..

Maybe but putting your foot on it is kinda insulting, even in the west. China even more so because the feet are considered symbolically unclean.

Koreans continually get into trouble abroad because they never learn foreign etiquette and they are raised in hogwons to believe that any kind of behaviour is ok and there are zero boundaries.

Seriously, the average ajosshi conduct of blowing snot rockets as he walks or loudly farting in public reveals him as the lowest type of peasant imaginable.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 12:30:46 am by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 05:33:11 pm »
Seriously, the average ajosshi conduct of blowing snot rockets as he walks or loudly farting in public reveals him as the lowest type of peasant imaginable.

While I agree it is disgusting and annoying, it sounds like you have a far deeper dislike of being here. Have you considered other options of places to go live and work? I have found a new career out of Korea and will be leaving soon, particularly for more money and because of the air, but it seems you have a major dislike of the people here in general.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 05:45:07 pm »

While I agree it is disgusting and annoying, it sounds like you have a far deeper dislike of being here. Have you considered other options of places to go live and work? I have found a new career out of Korea and will be leaving soon, particularly for more money and because of the air, but it seems you have a major dislike of the people here in general.

The apparent dislike does not discredit what the OP wrote....

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 06:10:37 pm »
China are the most over sensitive country bar none. It's always something with them. The list of foriegn sports people, teams, companies, celebrities that have fallen foul over things even milder then this, is long. Gotta walk on egg shells around poor precious China.

Would Korea have gotten bent out of shape if the shoe was the other foot? Who knows. Quite possibly. Putting your boot on the cup is nothing. Peacocking celebration. Sure not to everyones taste, but certainly not punishable by a public team mea culpa.

Also, Panda Cup. That's a lol
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2019, 07:31:28 pm »
I think this video illustrates why we're going to so much more of this type of thing in the future.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg2fUGBQDMQ

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2019, 10:35:35 pm »
Hey, can we strip Liverpool of the title? 1.4 billion Chinese could have seen this and been very offended.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 10:41:06 pm by eggieguffer »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2019, 11:22:30 pm »
The Detroit Red Wings new captain SHIT in the Stanley Cup during the summer and he was immediately stripped of his captaincy and traded to another team, and has been forgotten by all except historians.

That was in the 1930's.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2019, 07:40:11 am »

The apparent dislike does not discredit what the OP wrote....
It kinda does.  As has been shown, there is nothing really out-of-the-ordinary in this behavior.  Yes, it may be crass, but it's a bunch of elated teens feeling their oats, and is just not remarkable, and certainly not a reason to condemn an entire culture.

This has not one thing to do with "hogwons".  The post has everything to do with the OP's personal animus.  If the situation were reversed, he would have nothing to say.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 07:46:53 am »
It kinda does.  As has been shown, there is nothing really out-of-the-ordinary in this behavior.  Yes, it may be crass, but it's a bunch of elated teens feeling their oats, and is just not remarkable, and certainly not a reason to condemn an entire culture.

This has not one thing to do with "hogwons".  The post has everything to do with the OP's personal animus.  If the situation were reversed, he would have nothing to say.
yep. i wouldn't even say it's really crass; look at henderson! from all the comments i've seen about that liverpool photo, i didn't see a single one saying that behaviour is wrong. most people were saying, "this will be a classic photo"

some strange mental gymnastics to somehow relate it to hagwons, too

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 09:41:22 am »

Sergio Ramos insulted all of Europe!

(Well, beyond his dirty play)

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 09:49:36 am »

Exactly. A modicum of research would have revealed how ordinary this was. OP instantly accepted the worst possible explanation due to his own personal bias and didn't do any fact-checking.

Now he has egg all over his face. He didn't stop to think that while we have apologists, haters, and people in the middle, people all across the spectrum are football fans and they know what happens with the trophies. Maybe if OP was a football fan first, and not a hater, he might have not taken things out of context. Instead he just instantly jumps to ethnicity.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2019, 02:35:16 pm »
Brazil loses 7-1 to Germany, in the 2014 Fifa world cup, played in Brazil.
The home crowd has the respect and honor to applaud the Germans for brilliantly played game of football.

China gets their asses kicked, 3-0, on their home turf.
Proceeds to find a reason to complain and whine. Takes back the trophy and refuses to accept an apology from what was, at best, a silly display by a couple of overly excited teenagers.

...China, since the cultural revolution, has lost any sense of integrity and honor... truly pathetic.

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2019, 02:52:53 pm »
Brazil loses 7-1 to Germany, in the 2014 Fifa world cup, played in Brazil.
The home crowd has the respect and honor to applaud the Germans for brilliantly played game of football.

China gets their asses kicked, 3-0, on their home turf.
Proceeds to find a reason to complain and whine. Takes back the trophy and refuses to accept an apology from what was, at best, a silly display by a couple of overly excited teenagers.

...China, since the cultural revolution, has lost any sense of integrity and honor... truly pathetic.

Geez, before that..when Mao starved his population by exporting the grown food to Russia (in exchange for nuclear technology). 

China is not to be trusted ,on any level....and this is why I will not go back to China and teach.  Why help them? 

Anyway...is SK standing up this, in any way?