Read 888 times

• LIC
  • Veteran

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
NBA Finals
« on: June 01, 2019, 09:24:42 am »
I like the Raptors. I spent many years living in Toronto and going to games (along with going to watch the Leafs, Blue Jays and Argos)

Basketball is a fun spectator sport and they really try to get the crowd involved.

Having said this, the Raptors sure handled the Warriors in game 1. There may be a chance they could destroy the odds and win this thing. They played them twice in the regular season and won both times.

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
Re: NBA Finals
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 03:35:12 pm »
I like the Raptors. I spent many years living in Toronto and going to games (along with going to watch the Leafs, Blue Jays and Argos)

Basketball is a fun spectator sport and they really try to get the crowd involved.

Having said this, the Raptors sure handled the Warriors in game 1. There may be a chance they could destroy the odds and win this thing. They played them twice in the regular season and won both times.

I don't watch the NBA much these days.  To me, it seems the actual game has been overshadowed by certain players and their "brand". 

But, I do think it would be a good thing to see a Canadian team take the championship and ruffle some feathers.

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Veteran

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • On the Bitcoin train!
    more
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2019, 09:06:13 pm »
it would be a good thing to see a Canadian team

Northy anti- USA basketball team confirmed.  :cheesy:
Drumpf kopf 2020!

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 11:03:22 am »

What are you on about?

• LIC
  • Veteran

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 11:31:38 am »

What are you on about?

One of those folks that consider "the world champions from a league consisting of only USA based teams" legitimate?

LOL

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 11:47:53 am »

What are you on about?

One of those folks that consider "the world champions from a league consisting of only USA based teams" legitimate?

LOL

I actually think it would be good for the NBA and the sport itself, to see a Canadian team take the championship.  From what I know, Toronto has a legitimate, rabid basketball fan base (unlike Koreans, who root for any team simply because there is a Korean on the roster..and nothing more.  On that note, congratulations to Liverpool!). 

The Raptors are a legitimate team, with a sound foundation.  Will they win?  I'm not sure.  However, GS is NOT playing a team that basically revolves around one player...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 11:53:24 am by NorthStar »

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 08:57:00 pm »
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26882410/six-minute-monster-warriors-run-won-game-2

I've always thought the writers at ESPN are top notch.  They make the charlatans over at Si.com look like...well, novices.

Now, this series (in which GS took one from Toronto on their home turf) goes to Cali....if Toronto can steal a game out of two there, we will still have a series.  If not, it will be over....for the most part. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 09:00:59 pm by NorthStar »

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 10:56:25 am »
I think the largest factor in the series is the somewhat unusually number and severity of injuries. Kawhi, Durant, Looney, Andre, Klay, and others.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 12:16:56 pm »
Not being biased (I'm from Toronto), but it's nice to have the Warriors facing someone else for once.  I think this is more interesting than a Bucks vs Warriors finals would have been (e.g., the Jurassic Park concept has spread to other parts of the world).

Not sure the NBA and ABC like it to so much, since Canadian viewership doesn't count towards US TV ratings.

I think it'll be close--this is probably the most vulnerable Warriors team since their run and it is likely Toronto's best chance ever at  winning it all.

Predict the Warriors blow out the Raps in game 3, but the Raps will edge them in game 4.  Whichever team wins game 5 will probably win the series.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 12:21:21 pm by Davey »
------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• Seoul
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 12:23:44 pm »
Not being biased (I'm from Toronto), but it's nice to have the Warriors facing someone else for once.  I think this is more interesting than a Bucks vs Warriors finals would have been (e.g., the Jurassic Park concept has spread to other parts of the world).

Not sure the NBA and ABC like it to so much, since Canadian viewership doesn't count towards US TV ratings.

I think it'll be close--this is probably the most vulnerable Warriors team since their run and it is likely Toronto's best chance ever at  winning it all.

Predict the Warriors blow out the Raps in game 3, but the Raps will edge them in game 4.  Whichever team wins game 5 will probably win the series.

Be biased....its OK. 

I'm all about having Toronto win it...though, their success after this season will depend on free agency and whatever moves Philly, Boston and perhaps Indiana make to their roster.  Brooklyn is actually a good team the number of games they lost this season by three points or less is quite surprising.  Anyway, the East is not exactly wide open but...if Toronto makes the right moves during offseason, they have a good chance of being successful at making another run to the finals. 

« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 12:28:55 pm by NorthStar »

• Davey
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• February 01, 2010, 01:36:20 pm
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2019, 12:37:11 pm »

Be biased....its OK. 

I'm all about having Toronto win it...though, their success after this season will depend on free agency and whatever moves Philly, Boston and perhaps Indiana make to their roster.  Brooklyn is actually a good team the number of games they lost this season by three points or less is quite surprising.  Anyway, the East is not exactly wide open but...if Toronto makes the right moves during offseason, they have a good chance of being successful at making another run to the finals. 

lol, I try to be objective.

You are right, though--the Raps do have another good chance of making it since free agency will be a frenzy this year (e.g., Bucks won't keep all their players; Kyrie will likely move; where will Tobias and Butler go?; etc.).

That said, Lowry, Gasol, and Ibaka will be a year older (let's not kid ourselves, Ibaka is probably older than 29).  Not sure how much Siakam can improve next year to help Leonard, assuming he stays.

Two seasons from now, at least Toronto will have ton of cap space.

Regarding Kawhi, I can see him signing a relatively short-term deal (3-4 years) with Toronto and then finishing off his career in Cali.

------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

• bb459
  • Adventurer

• March 02, 2019, 06:19:42 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2019, 01:12:33 pm »
Off topic but does anyone on this thread play NBA 2K on Xbox??

Not many people in the Asian servers online.
Would love to play with some fellow teachers.

On topic:
I'm a HUGE Bucks fan. Went to Greece a few years ago to visit Giannis' hometown.
Love the Bucks and sad we lost but much respect to the Raptors. They aren't cry babies and racists like
Sixers and Celtics fans.
I have a lot of respect for the Raptors (not Drake). I like all their players. Siakam and Ibaka are incredible stories
from the Congo and Cameroon!
So I'm sad we lost but at least it was to a cool team.
I wish they could beat the Warriors.

Depending on these injuries, they might be able to.

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2019, 01:34:07 pm »
They aren't cry babies and racists like
Sixers and Celtics fans.

damn, im racist? sheeeeit. no one told me before

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 04:06:51 pm »
I would like to see the Raptors win this and finally see GSW step down. But I feel GSW will win in 6.
Meanwhile, Kawhi is suing NIKE for stealing his claw logo?

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2019, 01:23:40 am »
It would be nice if Marc could take open shots. Lou Williams needs a third girlfriend.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

• bb459
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2019, 08:50:05 am »
Sixers and Celtics fans.

more than likely, yes.
depends tho.
Boston is a little worse than Philly.

Over the last 25 years there are dozens and dozens of reports from MLB, NBA and NFL players
being called racial slurs constantly and consistently in Boston at all their teams' venues.
Former players from those cities have also spoken out about it.

That being said, I like Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, Al Horford and Terry Rozier.
Kyrie needs to go tho haha

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2019, 09:06:20 am »
Sixers and Celtics fans.

more than likely, yes.

Over the last 25 years there are dozens and dozens of reports from MLB, NBA and NFL players
being called racial slurs constantly and consistently in Boston at all their teams' venues.

well shit. i guess i gotta move to a new city so i, personally, can become not racist.

• bb459
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2019, 09:43:53 am »
Sixers and Celtics fans.

more than likely, yes.

well shit. i guess i gotta move to a new city so i, personally, can become not racist.

guess so

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2019, 10:33:49 am »
Sixers and Celtics fans.

more than likely, yes.
depends tho.

That being said, I like Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, Al Horford and Terry Rozier.

lol. this poster has got to be a troll.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• bb459
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2019, 12:03:44 pm »
Sixers and Celtics fans.

more than likely, yes.
depends tho.

lol. this poster has got to be a troll.

not at all
look it up

plenty of player interviews, testimonies and reports of Boston/Foxboro area fans being the most racist in professional sports.
literally takes 5 minutes to research