Read 1093 times

• APH
  • Adventurer

• November 17, 2018, 12:32:33 pm
    • Seoul
Crazy recruiter lady
« on: May 31, 2019, 02:07:41 am »
So a while ago I had a bit of an awkward situation with a recruiter. To cut a long story short I signed a contract for a job after my first school closed down (hesitantly, after being pressured by the manager and recruiter to sign asap, like they always do) and decided I wasnít comfortable with it anymore due to various discoveries about the school and job and a not so honest manager. So I emailed the manager to tell him that I was very sorry but I wasnít going to be able to work for him.

I then received several aggressive texts from the recruiter I used saying unless I went and worked for this school she would call immigration and report me to the Korean national police as they ďhave my signed contractĒ. She went on to say Iíd never be able to work in Korea again and all this stuff.

Anyway fast forward 2 months and Iím now very happy at my new job in a new city and hadnít even thought about that horrible situation until my new manager mentioned going to get my criminal background check done. I obviously didnít have any concerns until that ďwe have your signed contract and Iím going to report you to immigration and the police.Ē conversation popped into my head again.

I know Iím probably being silly and paranoid as Iíve already transferred my visa and immigration mentioned nothing about crazy recruiter lady. But is there any realistic chance she may have reported me to the police for breaking the contract? Is that something which would show up on a criminal record check?

Re: Crazy recruiter lady
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 06:22:21 am »
No.

You didn't break the law. You weren't arrested for anything. You weren't prosecuted for anything. That recruiter never called the police -- if she had, she would have been laughed at. A lot of dishonest recruiters and employers will make threats and claims to try to intimidate you into compliance, but most of it is half-truths or complete bullshit.

Remember that no contract here makes you a slave. You're allowed to quit and move on, especially if you haven't even started working according to the dates listed on the contract, although quitting in the middle of a contract without a letter of release after the dates of employment have gone into effect could make it so that you won't be able to legally get another job until your sponsored visa expires (unless you had a good reason to leave that's supported by law -- such as violations of your contract that you can prove, or abuse/harassment that you can also prove -- or were illegally forced to leave by the employer, and you follow the necessary steps for filing a case against the employer so that you can get granted a new visa that will allow you to find another job without having to leave the country first).

You could also be held responsible for any significant loss of business your employer incurs as a result of your leaving while in the middle of your contract, but that's not a criminal issue, it's a civil one, and it's incredibly hard to prove (because it's usually not the case) so it very rarely happens. Either way, leaving while in the middle of a contract is still not a crime (again, you're not a slave), and it doesn't go into your criminal record.

If you ever find that a false police report was filed against you, though, especially if it leads to an investigation by the police (even if nothing comes of it), THAT is against the law, and you can press charges for it. Just an FYI to keep in mind.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 06:44:20 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 07:03:32 am »
Basically, she was close to be paid by the school, and as you dropped out she doesn't get paid, hence her anger.  Usual Korean empty bluster and threats. 

Second, there was nothing criminal about what you did.  Nothing is official until you go to Immigration and get your visa.  You're at another school now and they hold your visa. 

Those others have probably forgotten about it now, so don't worry.  You're in a different city.  It was a while ago.  Don't worry about it.  Enjoy your new school and be happy that you dodged that bullet. 

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 12:37:59 pm »
The others have already cleared up how you're not in any legal trouble.

I'd like to add that not only is this not a bad thing, it's a good thing. The recruiter faced the financial consequences of placing a new employee with an unscrupulous employer. If more TEFL teachers had the willingness to back out of bad jobs recruiters would lose their financial incentive to overlook misleading/false contracts and poor work environments.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 07:25:17 am »
I had a situation similar to what you went through OP.  I sent all my documents to this one recruiter lady and I didn't like the fact that she was trying to place me in central Korea and no where near Seoul.  I told her that I wanted to back out and she threaten to destroy my documents.  (FBI background check, apostle diploma, the WORKS) Knowing how long it took me to get all my documents together to begin with I was freaking the F out!  I quickly called a Korean guy friend who was in Korea while I was still in America to go to her office and demand my documents back.  He pulled through and she threaten me constantly with how dare I intimate her etc. and that I'm to never contact her again.  Please, the guy I sent over was a family man who wouldn't hurt a fly.  I doubt he did anything mafioso to get my documents back.  Long story short, if you are in Korea try getting a job through EPIK or Korvia recruiting.  Don't always trust these hole in the walls, Craigslist randos to be honest people.  Your just a head they hunted and want to get bounty for.  That's all.

P.S. she does kind of sound like the psycho chick I dealt with.  OP message me the name of her recruiting company.  I would name her company out on here but liability laws  :rolleyes:

• lhelena
  • Adventurer

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 07:53:52 am »
I remember some of the teachers at orientation talking about their recruiter charging them a fee for their services. At first it kind of just went by me and then I was like "wait a minute!". They definitely got scammed. If I remember correctly it was one that specifically works/worked with South African teachers. Everyone was like "you should never be paying a recruiter". 

Also threatening to destroy legal documents is a huge deal. Isn't that kind of illegal if the docs aren't yours specifically?

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 08:00:36 am »
I remember some of the teachers at orientation talking about their recruiter charging them a fee for their services. At first it kind of just went by me and then I was like "wait a minute!". They definitely got scammed. If I remember correctly it was one that specifically works/worked with South African teachers. Everyone was like "you should never be paying a recruiter". 

Also threatening to destroy legal documents is a huge deal. Isn't that kind of illegal if the docs aren't yours specifically?

Yeah the nerve on her to do that to documents THAT I BLOODY PAID FOR!  That's why I had to get a Korean friend to squash that noise quick! 

And yes paying a recruiter is something you should NEVER EVER DO.  I thought all people knew that.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 09:09:52 am »

The south African recuiter does other stuff for them because of that fee too.
A south African guy I know explained all the extra stuff you get from the fee but, I can't remember any of it haha.

• lhelena
  • Adventurer

• Anseong
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 10:01:41 am »

A south African guy I know explained all the extra stuff you get from the fee but, I can't remember any of it haha.

Yeah I remember them saying most of them came early and stayed together or something but it kind of doesn't seem necessary especially when you'll be stuck at EPIK orientation for 9 days.

• lhelena
  • Adventurer

• Anseong
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 10:03:05 am »

Yeah the nerve on her to do that to documents THAT I BLOODY PAID FOR!  That's why I had to get a Korean friend to squash that noise quick! 

And yes paying a recruiter is something you should NEVER EVER DO.  I thought all people knew that.

It should be common knowledge but people don't read or look for more info on their own so I guess that's the price you pay for taking everything at face value.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 10:12:46 am »

Yeah I remember them saying most of them came early and stayed together or something but it kind of doesn't seem necessary especially when you'll be stuck at EPIK orientation for 9 days.

It's not just the getting here early. The recruiter does a bunch for them while they are staying here too.
I just can't remember what haha.

• lhelena
  • Adventurer

• Anseong
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 10:27:01 am »

It's not just the getting here early. The recruiter does a bunch for them while they are staying here too.
I just can't remember what haha.

Oh wow must be nice. I went through Korvia and all they did was help us make a KEBHana account at the airport before getting our ARC. It was really great, but other than that the 2 that were there just sat and talked with us until the EPIK people were ready to take us.

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2019, 01:51:22 pm »
I think a lot of you need to differentiate between criminal law and civil law.

Contract law is civil.  You can't be arrested for not honoring a contract unless
a judge has ordered you to do something and you have disregarded that order.

• lhelena
  • Adventurer

• Anseong
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2019, 03:04:11 pm »
I think a lot of you need to differentiate between criminal law and civil law.

Contract law is civil.  You can't be arrested for not honoring a contract unless
a judge has ordered you to do something and you have disregarded that order.

That was already cleared up in the first response.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 07:30:02 am »
A little bit of an update APPARENTLY OP and I were threatened by the same psycho!!  I really can't believe she is still in business threatening people like this?!?!?   I feel so bad for any noobs dealing with her that have no idea that her behavior is wrong and borderline illegal.  I wonder if she has actually destroyed someone's documents out of anger.

Korea Liable laws aside, isn't there any protective way that we can out someone like this to make this stop their threatening behavior.  I bet there are probably some noobs worried sick or crying themselves to sleep wondering how they are going to get to Korea or if their chances here are dead due to the fact they had the unfortunate circumstances of crossing paths with this psycho!

Seriously I really wish the laws here would change because you can be charged even WHEN IT IS A KNOWN FACT THAT A HAKWON OR BUSINESS HAVE HORRIBLE DEALINGS.  I worked at a hellwon that And I quote from one of the superiors in charge "DOES ANYONE LIKE WORKING AT ***???"  Seriously we all hated our time there and we all spoke openly to anyone who would listen that it was terrible there.  IT WAS A WELL KNOWN FACT!!  And you mean to tell me that someone who post WELL KNOWN FACTS ONLINE CAN GET SUED?!?!?  I swear it really grinds my gears.  It's like being sued by the rapist because of the fact that you outed him and made him lose his job. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:36:58 am by Piggydee »