"sorry, but i'm not looking for a relationship right now"
"sorry, i don't date B blood types"

Re: asking people out
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2019, 04:32:08 pm »
no middle ground? making excuses but more clear
"sorry, i've got a girlfriend"
"sorry, but i'm not looking for a relationship right now"
"sorry, i don't date B blood types"

I'd classify all those as saying 'no' directly. Making excuses would be 'sorry, I'm busy', 'Can't today', 'got another appointment' etc..

A Korean girl once told she wouldn't date me because her sister dated a guy from the Czech republic and it hadn't worked out well.  Which actually wasn't too bad a let down. I guess a bit of casual racism is preferable to 'you're not my type.'
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 04:49:41 pm by eggieguffer »

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 04:51:44 pm »
'Are you kidding me?  Look at your head'
'Do you think I'm blind?'
'Go f*** yourself, you tw**'
'Not even if I was high on Flakka'
'I'm calling the police'

All excuses.  I'm still in with a chance.   :-*

• LIC
  • Veteran

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 06:12:29 pm »

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 06:59:11 am »
Man, this totally isn't a reaction to my thread...

And the poll is really looking in my favor  :wink:
The World Ends With You

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 07:23:08 am »
counter poll that i'm not going to make..

"how do you prefer people respond when you repeatedly make excuses to not go out with them?"
a) they get the message and move on
b) after missing countless hints, they don't get the message and continue pestering you for weeks.

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 07:40:43 am »
I just say "Sorry, I'm a MGHOW'!

Then again, at my age...
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 07:43:19 am by Titus Groan »

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 07:55:01 am »

"how do you prefer people respond when you repeatedly make excuses to not go out with them?"
b) after missing countless hints, they don't get the message and continue pestering you for weeks.

I don't think anyone's gonna choose "B" here...

Unless you meant "How do people usually respond...?"
The World Ends With You

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 08:41:57 am »
I just say "Sorry, I'm a MGHOW'!

The whole MGTOW thing really pisses me off. It's the ultimate cop out. Nihilistic, even.

Can we all agree it's far more noble to live out your sexual essence and engage with the dating game on it's own terms? You know you're winning the game when you can consistently manipulate those terms to your own advantage. Not that I've ever ascended to such a godlike state. Far from it. I'm more like the Nietzsche of dating... mostly unsuccesful, but cognizant of the fact that it's way better to win a game than watch it from the sidelines (or worse, deny that the game is even worth playing (aka MGTOW).

Also, I'm married now, so feel free to rebuff this rant.

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2019, 09:12:05 am »
An "excuse" isn't necessarily a lie though. It's just a reason why you are saying no. I'm not sure if the poll is referring to excuses that aren't true.

Sometimes there is no reason....I don't make shit up, if that's the case I just say no. Sometimes this works and they take it...sometimes (or y'know majority of the time) they badger you for an answer. A few times they've decided the reason for me... lesbian/boyfriend/slut/stupid/bitch etc that's always fun ;)

Did we really need a new thread for this? It's pretty much exactly what was discussed in the last thread.

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2019, 10:11:03 am »
An "excuse" isn't necessarily a lie though. It's just a reason why you are saying no. I'm not sure if the poll is referring to excuses that aren't true.

Sometimes there is no reason....I don't make shit up, if that's the case I just say no. Sometimes this works and they take it...sometimes (or y'know majority of the time) they badger you for an answer. A few times they've decided the reason for me... lesbian/boyfriend/slut/stupid/bitch etc that's always fun ;)

Did we really need a new thread for this? It's pretty much exactly what was discussed in the last thread.

I don't think you can insert a poll into a thread that already exists. That's why I started this. The option 'make excuses' was supposed to mean say why you can't at that particular time, rather than say no to the idea in general.

By the way, I assume all the people who chose 'no' do the same thing when they get asked out. It would be a bit hypocriticalist to want a direct 'no' if you don't give one yourself.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 10:14:26 am by eggieguffer »

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2019, 10:17:24 am »
At the end of the day, any outcome that doesn't result in us (regardless of role) tripping over ourselves, causing all the people, plus the entire studio audience to laugh at us, is a successful outcome. Be happy!

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2019, 10:43:19 am »

I don't think you can insert a poll into a thread that already exists. That's why I started this. The option 'make excuses' was supposed to mean say why you can't at that particular time, rather than say no to the idea in general.

By the way, I assume all the people who chose 'no' do the same thing when they get asked out. It would be a bit hypocriticalist to want a direct 'no' if you don't give one yourself.

Oops I actually misread the poll as what you do when you get asked aha.

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2019, 10:45:18 am »

that's exactly my point about this thread

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2019, 11:12:59 am »

What is your point about this thread? That no one likes to be let down gently? 10 people seem to prefer that at least.

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2019, 11:29:16 am »

What is your point about this thread? That no one likes to be let down gently? 10 people seem to prefer that at least.

you can be direct and gentle.

• LIC
  • Veteran

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2019, 07:22:31 pm »
When I was young and started to ask girls out I would go up to them and ask them out! If they said no, I'd walk away with my head high because at least I had tried. No shame in that.

In my opinion, that attitude was respected.