Read 1633 times

• Dweebs1
  • Veteran

• December 07, 2010, 02:52:11 pm
    • Yeongwol, Gangwon-do
Re: Koreans won't yield to a woman carrying her baby
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2019, 09:33:16 am »
My daughter was getting on the elevator the other night and as she was halfway through the door it started to close, neither the man or woman in the elevator moved a muscle to push the open button. I was a few steps behind my daughter so, I had to rush to push the open door, so it wouldn't close on her.

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2019, 09:39:56 am »
My daughter was getting on the elevator the other night and as she was halfway through the door it started to close, neither the man or woman in the elevator moved a muscle to push the open button. I was a few steps behind my daughter so, I had to rush to push the open door, so it wouldn't close on her.
Wait, you're upset that people didn't do something when your own kid was running ahead of you and you had to *gasp* hurry up and press a button?

Also, let me get this straight...your daughter is halfway through the door. It starts to close. In the time it takes you to notice this and hurry up to press the button, your daughter is STILL halfway through the door? You had time to walk a few steps, but your daughter couldn't finish the one step necessary to get through the door?

Maybe they didn't do anything because they thought your daughter had enough sense to get inside the elevator instead of just standing there?

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2019, 09:44:47 am »
But you also need to consider the difference in standard of living and relative power.  That too is part of the equation. The Philippines may be a nicer place for YOU, but where would the average Filipino prefer to live and their standard of living? Some would probably prefer the Philippines and value "niceness", but others might be more ambitious and want a South Korean standard.

This paragraph beats the hell of me. What does the way Koreans behave in the Philippines got to do with Filipinos aspiring to live in Korea. I have no frikken clue.

In your reply you have gone off at a tangent and spoken about refugees and such like. I am saying and I stick by it that the people that have been identified in this thread are not the old people who indeed suffered after the war.

Anyway, I should know better than to argue with you, you are never wrong when it comes to defending your beloved Korea.  You know, I love my country as much as you love Korea but I would NEVER defend my country when someone points out its shortcomings and for sure there are many.

So, have a nice day. Cheers.
Everything is not as it seems.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2019, 10:11:10 am »
Wait, you're upset that people didn't do something when your own kid was running ahead of you and you had to *gasp* hurry up and press a button?

Also, let me get this straight...your daughter is halfway through the door. It starts to close. In the time it takes you to notice this and hurry up to press the button, your daughter is STILL halfway through the door? You had time to walk a few steps, but your daughter couldn't finish the one step necessary to get through the door?

Maybe they didn't do anything because they thought your daughter had enough sense to get inside the elevator instead of just standing there?

I've had doors close on me (and seen it too) and they can be very powerful.  I'm guessing the poster was angry that the doors closed on his daughter yet nobody in the elevator flinched.  Wouldn't that annoy you?

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2019, 11:12:47 am »
This paragraph beats the hell of me. What does the way Koreans behave in the Philippines got to do with Filipinos aspiring to live in Korea. I have no frikken clue.

That some of the dickish behavior might be why Korea enjoyed explosive economic growth over the past 50 years and has a good standard of living and while the Philippines has not?

I am saying and I stick by it that the people that have been identified in this thread are not the old people who indeed suffered after the war.
We've had "8 Koreans" identified. Stands to reason that at least 1 was. And with all the old people on the subway, that's probably a few more than that.

You know, I love my country as much as you love Korea but I would NEVER defend my country when someone points out its shortcomings and for sure there are many.
Pretty sure if say, Koreans went on a forum about South Africa and just started ranting constantly and saying borderline bigoted/ignorant things, you might object a time or three.

• Dweebs1
  • Veteran

• December 07, 2010, 02:52:11 pm
    • Yeongwol, Gangwon-do
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2019, 11:50:55 am »
I guess that I should have said that my daughter is only 4 years old and that she took off when she say people getting into the elevator.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2019, 12:06:37 pm »
That some of the dickish behavior might be why Korea enjoyed explosive economic growth over the past 50 years and has a good standard of living and while the Philippines has not?

So, you must behave like a selfish idiot to enjoy explosive economic growth?  Ha ha DM you crack me up.

I think with all the other posters saying something it is a tad more than 8 people.

People are free to say whatever about South Africa and it is their opinion and I won't get all bent out of shape about that. 

Anyway, I don't want to argue with you anymore because as I said you get super offended if someone says one slight negative thing about Korea.

As to my race, I will answer you if you tell me if you are Korean or not or have some Korean ethnicity.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 12:08:55 pm by confusedsafferinkorea »

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2019, 01:20:00 pm »

So, you must behave like a selfish idiot to enjoy explosive economic growth?
There is probably some correlation between the hypercomptetive nature of Korea and the fact that the country, with virtually no natural resources, was able to secure a standard of living as high as it is.

People are free to say whatever about South Africa and it is their opinion and I won't get all bent out of shape about that. 
Would the polite part of South Africa be the sky-high murder rate or being hit up for bribes by the cops? Or maybe it would be Julius Malema and his crew?

Look the fact is most South African people I've meet have been really super nice, but if you're just going to cherry-pick stuff, then it's only proper to look at certain things as well. People do this a lot when they look at other cultures, they just look at certain things and then ignore stuff that isn't a problem and don't credit it. Lack of crime and theft and blatant street violence are elements of a civil society as well. Being able to ride the subway without being subjected to aggressive panhandling for one thing.

As to my race, I will answer you if you tell me if you are Korean or not or have some Korean ethnicity.
I only brought that up because you are rather on the older side, and well, for a long time people of certain backgrounds weren't treated as equals. Do you think that has had some long-term effects? Do you think ones perspective on the relative consideration and politeness of their society might drastically change based on that?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:22:05 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2019, 03:39:30 pm »
There is probably some correlation between the hypercomptetive nature of Korea and the fact that the country, with virtually no natural resources, was able to secure a standard of living as high as it is.

Being hyper-competitive does not mean you have to be a d*$$head.  There are plenty of countries that have achieved a lot without having a significant portion of their population being self-absorbed, rude etc etc.

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2019, 04:22:36 pm »

Being hyper-competitive does not mean you have to be a d*$$head.  There are plenty of countries that have achieved a lot without having a significant portion of their population being self-absorbed, rude etc etc.

I think if you were to look through time and the relative costs in terms of advancement purchased at the discomforture of various peoples, the bumping, slurping, and driving of Koreans would compare quite favorably to some of the other misfortunes that have been visited on fellow human beings in the name of progress.

Could it be better? Sure. But all things considered, the sins of Korea are quite mild, which is fair because their accomplishments have been pretty much insignificant as well.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2019, 04:58:04 pm »
Mr DM

There are two reasons that I come onto Waygook even though I am no longer in Korea. The one is I have a subscription which helps me tremendously with my work here in Taiwan and I am eternally grateful to all the brilliant people with innovative ideas that post their work here.

The second is you, you keep me entertained with your absurd arguments when anyone dares to say anything slightly negative about Korea.

I will give you an example. Early I said that Korean tourist were unpopular in the Philippines due to their behavior and rudeness and you turned that into, 'You prefer living in the Philippines, Philippines is less developed than Korea because they are not as competitive or rude? perhaps.'

How in the name of all that is wonderful did you get that all out of Korean tourists are unpopular in the Philippines?  Beats the hell out of me.  You will just make stuff up to defend Korea no matter how absurd.

You also said some negative things about my country. I know all that stuff and I don't like it but I am sure as hell not going to go on the offensive against you or anybody for saying it. It's your opinion and to be honest I don't give a flying fig what you think about my country anyway.

To me your most absurd thing you said today is that in order for Korea to be where they are today they needed to be ultra-competitive and a bit of a d/bag as a result.

Don't you see how absurd that statement is? You are saying Korea had to be like this in order to succeed.  By the way, Korea wouldn't be in the position it is today if it wasn't for the US pushing for them and aiding them.  A lot of credit must go to the US for helping them get to where they are today.

Since you brought it up, yes, actually I do prefer living in the Philippines. Cost of living, absurdly low, people love foreigners, beautiful tropical beaches, blue skies, little or no pollution where I live, I can see stars at night and I feel 100% safe.

Anyway, this is my final comment on this. Enjoy your time there in Korea, I really mean that, but do realize it is not perfect and you don't have to get all defensive and bent out of shape at the first sign of a mild criticism.

Have a good evening.

I forgot to add, I don't understand why you have personally taken it upon yourself to defend Korea. At the end of the day, what I think or you think about Korea isn't going to have the slightest effect on anything there.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 05:16:33 pm by confusedsafferinkorea »

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2019, 07:06:58 pm »
This was all ruined when some utter douche shoulder checked me while i was holding my kid on the travelator. He was trying to get past us with a 15cm gap between the cart and the wall. Couldn't wait the extra 30 seconds to get past is at the top.

If you enter the toothy escalator thing to one side instead of right in the middle, people will have space to get past and you won't get shoulder checked. You might not be in a hurry, but other people might be.
Exactly. Sometimes these examples of "bad etiquette" also involve bad etiquette on the part of the OP. You should always put your cart to the right. Likewise with people cutting in front of you in line, you better have your order ready and your cash ready. If you're waiting in line for 3 minutes and then stroll up and need to look at the menu, you're an ass.

One time I was at a Paris Baguette and the lady in front was talking on her phone. I just cut in front of her and handed over my cash. Her daughter had actually noticed and was trying to get her to do something. Whatever, I don't have time for that shit. Either be on point or you lose. The kids behind the counter kind of hesitated but certainty and decisiveness generally win out when dealing with young, minimum-wage workers.
There you go. You're defending bad etiquette because that's the type you practice.

And I call BS on moving your cart  to the right on escalators. People can just wait. They can show a  little consideration for others and just wait.

Their house is not on fire, they;re not rushing to perform emergency surgery, their kid hasn't been take to the ER. They can wait and give up that 60 seconds.

Except they can't because, like you, they're Koreans.

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2019, 10:44:28 pm »
How in the name of all that is wonderful did you get that all out of Korean tourists are unpopular in the Philippines?  Beats the hell out of me. You will just make stuff up to defend Korea no matter how absurd.
You're obviously suggesting that there is a difference in behavior amongst the Filipinos and Koreans. I'm wondering if perhaps that behavior is in part, a reason for the disparate economic outcomes between the two countries? It's quite possible that one of the side effects of the drive that Korea had to make itself an economic dynamo was the resulting behavior. For example, it has been noted that North Koreans often find South Koreans "rude" and competitive and, apparently, they were shocked at the nature of corporal punishment in South Korea. It is certainly worth considering whether or not the different economic and political structures and the motivations they would impart upon the people would produce differences in manners, trust, and the like.

Since you brought it up, yes, actually I do prefer living in the Philippines. Cost of living, absurdly low, people love foreigners, beautiful tropical beaches, blue skies, little or no pollution where I live, I can see stars at night and I feel 100% safe.
Have you considered that the perspective of an expat from a Western nation in the Philippines and Korea might not be the only lens through which we should judge things? And that this can produce drastically different results. The notion that a country is as good as it treats 'western male foreigners with money' is a peculiar lens to look at. It's certainly one lens that should be used and there is nothing wrong with that perspective, but it is just one part and not the final standard.

I forgot to add, I don't understand why you have personally taken it upon yourself to defend Korea. At the end of the day, what I think or you think about Korea isn't going to have the slightest effect on anything there.
A lot of the comments here fail to consider alternative possibilities or see things only from one perspective. By offering alternatives you might get a bigger picture and some context. There's also the fact that back home I went through the "rage phase" dealing with Koreans and after a few years away, I realized that it wasn't one-sided. I had made some bad assumptions and gotten things wrong and I learned from that. I can offer that experience as well as the experience of seeing things from both sides.

For example on another thread, we had a rant about "Why is Paris Baguette opened when they run out of bread?" and basedcowboy pointed out that this was due to beverages being the primary sources of profit, not the baked goods. Now, that's just a simple issue, but there are other deeper ones that people often overlook. Other examples would include "The negative media", well did you consider the positive media? Or Korea's xenophobia in regards to people of different ethnicities, but overlooking Korea's world-leading levels of religious tolerance and acceptance of foreign religions. Or when people say that Koreans are rude in certain ways, they overlook things like street crime and theft, which I would submit are also parts of civil society.

That's not "defending", that's pointing out things someone is overlooking in their argument. If your students submit essays and you point out flaws in their arguments, that's not you defending yourself as a teacher or defending your school, that's you pointing out flaws in their reasoning and asking them to reconsider.

And also, I love to argue and write. Not going to deny it. It's fun.

Lastly, I don't have a problem with criticism of Korea. I have a problem with BAD criticism of Korea. You're ignoring all the comments I don't respond to because the person made a good point.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 10:47:56 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2019, 10:49:31 pm »
And there we have it.

All the lofty talk of tolerance and "It's about culture, not ethnicity" and "No matter what you'll never be Korean" gets discarded when things get heated and at the end of the day, some people just revert to bigotry.

I'm American, asshole.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2019, 02:19:18 am »
And there we have it.

All the lofty talk of tolerance and "It's about culture, not ethnicity" and "No matter what you'll never be Korean" gets discarded when things get heated and at the end of the day, some people just revert to bigotry.

I'm American, asshole.
You're Korean-American and you left the American part in Michigan.

No bigotry involved, just simple observation. Lofty talk is what you hide your lies and apologies behind. Since I'm not lying or apologizing, I don't need to hide.

Bali-bali, dude. It's as Korean as kimchi; you even said so above. But when someone who's not Korean, like yourself, says it, well then Katy bar the door.

You've stated many times you support  trump because you can't stand SJWs. The irony is rich, rich I tell ya.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2019, 08:14:29 am »
DM, I know I said I won't argue more but I have to respond to some things.

You're obviously suggesting that there is a difference in behavior amongst the Filipinos and Koreans. I'm wondering if perhaps that behavior is in part, a reason for the disparate economic outcomes between the two countries? It's quite possible that one of the side effects of the drive that Korea had to make itself an economic dynamo was the resulting behavior.

It is not only Filipinos that find them annoying, it is the foreign owned resorts too and I fail to see your argument that you have to be a dirtbag to have economic growth. It is not true.

The notion that a country is as good as it treats 'western male foreigners with money' is a peculiar lens to look at. It's certainly one lens that should be used and there is nothing wrong with that perspective, but it is just one part and not the final standard.

They treat all foreigner with respect, not just those with money and not just males, sorry you are wrong, I have lived there on and off for 4 years and that is my experience.

Lastly, I don't have a problem with criticism of Korea. I have a problem with BAD criticism of Korea. You're ignoring all the comments I don't respond to because the person made a good point.

Sorry but that again is not true, you attack anyone who dares make a comment negatively.

Anyway that is definitely it. Enjoy your day.

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2019, 10:03:38 am »
It is not only Filipinos that find them annoying, it is the foreign owned resorts too and I fail to see your argument that you have to be a dirtbag to have economic growth. It is not true.
The English? Dirtbags. The Dutch? Dirtbags. The Spanish? Dirtbags. The Japanese? Dirtbags. The Chinese? Dirtbags. The Germans? Dirtbags. The Italians/Romans? Dirtbags. The French? Dirtbags. The Belgians? Dirtbags. The Vikings? Dirtbags. The Ottomans? Dirtbags. The Saudis? Dirtbags. The Soviets? Dirtbags. The Russians? Dirtbags. The Vietnamese? Dirtbags.

Who hasn't been a dirtbag? Well, you have the Finns who have managed not to be dirtbags by being extremely belligerent to outside threats. You have the Swiss who gave the world the cuckoo clock and chocolate. And you have a lot of friendly island people who spend go through this: Welcome Spanish Dutch British Japanese Americans.

It's the same for any other people of the world, you tug at the thread that is their "negative" traits and it unravels the whole tapestry of their story. The good and the bad work together to make them who they are. You can find this idea, popularly expressed, on Korea's national flag. Those "negative" things are part of the whole deal and they in fact are necessary and "good", giving each place its own unique character. Take away the "negatives" of the Philippines and you might lose the "positives" as well. Maybe Filipinos would become more quick-tempered, hostile to outsiders, more materialistic.

They treat all foreigner with respect, not just those with money and not just males, sorry you are wrong, I have lived there on and off for 4 years and that is my experience.
I agree they are probably friendlier, but I'd submit the extent of that friendliness varies drastically in accordance with perceived socio-economic status (which applies everywhere).

Sorry but that again is not true, you attack anyone who dares make a comment negatively.
It's your claim that I respond to EVERYONE and ANYONE who makes a negative comment? Do you have data to support this? Plenty of people post perfectly fine criticisms that don't get a response. Of course they usually refrain from making sweeping judgments, use qualifiers in their statements, acknowledge the possibility that they could be wrong, view Koreans as individuals rather than as some "herd", etc. Sorry, but I think you're an unreliable narrator when it comes to this and I suspect it trickles over into your observations regarding countries as well.

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2019, 10:20:20 am »
Do you have data to support this?

posts 6678

recent evidence to prove it?  this thread

end of

• Lazio
  • Veteran

• January 27, 2018, 03:56:10 pm
    • Gyeongi-do
« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2019, 11:13:34 am »
It's your claim that I respond to EVERYONE and ANYONE who makes a negative comment? Do you have data to support this? Plenty of people post perfectly fine criticisms that don't get a response. Of course they usually refrain from making sweeping judgments, use qualifiers in their statements, acknowledge the possibility that they could be wrong, view Koreans as individuals rather than as some "herd", etc. Sorry, but I think you're an unreliable narrator when it comes to this and I suspect it trickles over into your observations regarding countries as well.

Well one can only have so much time... Seeing how you already spend hours every day to write essays on here, it would be impossible for you to respond to every single negative comment. So you have to be somewhat selective and skip some. You must not have a life outside these forums as it is, but any more time spent here would mean you are on ''duty'' 24/7 and you couldn't even sleep and such.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 02:49:02 pm by Lazio »