Read 1632 times

Koreans won't yield to a woman carrying her baby
« on: May 21, 2019, 06:11:34 pm »
It's rush hour and a stream of people are entering the department store just as a woman carrying her baby is trying to exit. She has to wait until about 8 people enter before she can safely exit through the double doors. Are we all in such a rush that we can't simply step aside for one moment? JFC

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Koreans won't yield to a woman carrying her baby
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 07:05:20 pm »
She's lucky she got out at all.  I've been on that end of Korean stampedes many a time.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 07:14:35 pm »
It's rush hour and a stream of people are entering the department store just as a woman carrying her baby is trying to exit. She has to wait until about 8 people enter before she can safely exit through the double doors. Are we all in such a rush that we can't simply step aside for one moment? JFC
not been in korea long?

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 07:44:04 pm »
Been here a while actually. I've experienced it myself plenty but didn't think people wouldn't have the decency to let a woman and her baby pass first.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 09:39:21 pm »
Last year I was at Gwangju bus station, exited the bus to go into the  terminal through those big heavy metal doors. A mother had a infant in one arm and baby supplies in the other. People were weaving round her to get through the door first, one guy in front let the door whip back and it would have walloped mum and baby. I quickly put my arm over her and caught the door cms from hitting her. Like a goddamn hero. She smiled and the old man behind me gave me a pat on the back.

Having spent this past weekend looking after my son, as mum was up in Seoul for a conference, i have to say people went out of their way to smile at me and be extra courteous. At homeplus the lady behind us helped me pack my stuff. This was all ruined when some utter douche shoulder checked me while i was holding my kid on the travelator. He was trying to get past us with a 15cm gap between the cart and the wall. Couldn't wait the extra 30 seconds to get past is at the top.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 09:40:58 pm by zola »
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 09:41:37 am »
Heck they don't give way for ambulances, so why would they give way for a lady?

I know the world is full of entitled people and it gets worse everyday, but I think Koreans are well-known to be rude and selfish outside of Korea, as any resort in the Philippines will tell you. Some won't have them anymore.
Everything is not as it seems.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 09:48:12 am »
Heck they don't give way for ambulances, so why would they give way for a lady?

I know the world is full of entitled people and it gets worse everyday, but I think Koreans are well-known to be rude and selfish outside of Korea, as any resort in the Philippines will tell you. Some won't have them anymore.
They tend to go to Korean-owned resorts and dive shops because they weren't, lets say, appreciated elsewhere.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2019, 10:37:41 am »
Been here a while actually. I've experienced it myself plenty but didn't think people wouldn't have the decency to let a woman and her baby pass first.

Since I've witnessed and had experience with both sides, people being incredibly nice as well as utter douchebags, I wouldn't say, as individuals there's enough evidence to support a generalization.

What I've have noticed is that given the anonymity of being in a crowd or part of traffic, courtesy and etiquette dramatically decreases over here, more so than in the West.
What I am curious about is whether this comes down a complete lack of concern for those outside one's circle of "Jeong" (strangers) or if it's simply a complete and utter lack of situational awareness, people getting so absorbed in their screen/phone conversation/task at hand, that they completely shut out where they are and who is around them.

• leaponover
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2019, 11:22:32 am »

Since I've witnessed and had experience with both sides, people being incredibly nice as well as utter douchebags, I wouldn't say, as individuals there's enough evidence to support a generalization.

What I've have noticed is that given the anonymity of being in a crowd or part of traffic, courtesy and etiquette dramatically decreases over here, more so than in the West.
What I am curious about is whether this comes down a complete lack of concern for those outside one's circle of "Jeong" (strangers) or if it's simply a complete and utter lack of situational awareness, people getting so absorbed in their screen/phone conversation/task at hand, that they completely shut out where they are and who is around them.

I agree.  8 Koreans definitely doesn't equal all Koreans.  Should probably put a "some" in front of the title.

Who is here in 2019?

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2019, 08:24:25 pm »
I agree.  8 Koreans definitely doesn't equal all Koreans.  Should probably put a "some" in front of the title.
You'd think that would be automatic given that we are all college-educated adults here. Unfortunately...

whether this comes down a complete lack of concern for those outside one's circle of "Jeong" (strangers) or if it's simply a complete and utter lack of situational awareness, people getting so absorbed in their screen/phone conversation/task at hand, that they completely shut out where they are and who is around them.
Probably a combination of both plus the fact that if they stop someone behind them might yell or get suckered in combined with perhaps some lingering "If you stopped to help, you missed out" stuff from the days of scarcity.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2019, 07:29:24 am »
combined with perhaps some lingering "If you stopped to help, you missed out" stuff from the days of scarcity.

Mr DM, this is perhaps your finest apology for Korea to date.    :laugh:

After nearly 70 years do you think for one moment the Korean War has any influence on the entitled prince and princesses today?  Ridiculous.

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 08:01:40 am »
After nearly 70 years do you think for one moment the Korean War has any influence on the entitled prince and princesses today?  Ridiculous.
First, there's lots of old people and many of them are the worst offenders. I'm referring to them.

Anyways, sounds like you've never lived through that level of scarcity, ala Great Depression levels of scarcity. That kind of stuff STICKS. You see it in people who have gone through seriously hard times like that, the "Don't stop, don't look, keep going." stuff. Add to that the whole military dictatorship period and you have some serious built-up conditioning to go through. You seem to not realize that a good chunk of the older Korean population grew up without consistent electricity and clean running water. That is such a fundamentally different world than you or I grew up in and it might be hard for us to comprehend.

Should people behave better and public education be done? Absolutely. Do we also need to understand that people have gone through drastically different experiences and perhaps not walk around like our shit don't stink, constantly judging them? That too.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 08:10:56 am »
ah, so that's why that old guy barged himself to the front of the queue and demanded he get served his cigarettes first- he had no constant electricity 50 years ago

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 08:17:50 am »
First, there's lots of old people and many of them are the worst offenders. I'm referring to them.

Anyways, sounds like you've never lived through that level of scarcity, ala Great Depression levels of scarcity. That kind of stuff STICKS. You see it in people who have gone through seriously hard times like that, the "Don't stop, don't look, keep going." stuff. Add to that the whole military dictatorship period and you have some serious built-up conditioning to go through. You seem to not realize that a good chunk of the older Korean population grew up without consistent electricity and clean running water. That is such a fundamentally different world than you or I grew up in and it might be hard for us to comprehend.

Should people behave better and public education be done? Absolutely. Do we also need to understand that people have gone through drastically different experiences and perhaps not walk around like our shit don't stink, constantly judging them? That too.

DM, I seriously doubt this thread is about people who lived post Korean War.  In my experience it is young Koreans that have this attitude not the older ones, so I think your argument is moot.

By the way, I didn't grow up rich, quite the opposite in fact and many in my country did too and yet they don't have this attitude. My country has so many problems and I cry for my country but I think if you go there you will find that most South Africans are considerate in public. We do pull over for ambulances too, something I found incredible in Seoul that when an ambulance was trying to get through traffic with their sirens blaring, no one gave way.

You also hinted that I am judging them, well maybe I am but based on my experience is Korea and what I see them do in the Philippines, perhaps they need to do some introspection.

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2019, 08:27:36 am »
By the way, I didn't grow up rich, quite the opposite in fact and many in my country did too and yet they don't have this attitude.
Are you white or colored or black may I ask?
I mean when you grow up in 3rd world conditions (were your conditions 3rd world?) AND under a military dictatorship, yeah that kind of changes things. That is such a fundamentally different experience that it's hard for us to comprehend. Add to that the lingering societal effects of war and 40 years of occupation and yeah, you're going to have some issues.

And I don't think you experienced something like this- Having to put your entire life on your back and evacuate in overcrowded conditions, such that there's no way to even use the head, and those that weren't fast enough got left behind and well...who knows?

THAT is a completely different world to anything you or I have experienced. Like I said, it's comparable to the Great Depression and the lingering behavior you saw in people who lived through that- 80 and 90 year olds who will still can and save every single bit of leftover and won't let one bit of meat stay on the bone and will work no matter what and some of their more harsh and cynical attitudes. And that was in a modern industrialized democratic society. 

You also hinted that I am judging them, well maybe I am but based on my experience is Korea and what I see them do in the Philippines, perhaps they need to do some introspection.
But you also need to consider the difference in standard of living and relative power.  That too is part of the equation. The Philippines may be a nicer place for YOU, but where would the average Filipino prefer to live and their standard of living? Some would probably prefer the Philippines and value "niceness", but others might be more ambitious and want a South Korean standard.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 08:31:03 am by Mr.DeMartino »

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2019, 08:47:38 am »
This was all ruined when some utter douche shoulder checked me while i was holding my kid on the travelator. He was trying to get past us with a 15cm gap between the cart and the wall. Couldn't wait the extra 30 seconds to get past is at the top.

If you enter the toothy escalator thing to one side instead of right in the middle, people will have space to get past and you won't get shoulder checked. You might not be in a hurry, but other people might be.

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2019, 08:53:19 am »
This was all ruined when some utter douche shoulder checked me while i was holding my kid on the travelator. He was trying to get past us with a 15cm gap between the cart and the wall. Couldn't wait the extra 30 seconds to get past is at the top.

If you enter the toothy escalator thing to one side instead of right in the middle, people will have space to get past and you won't get shoulder checked. You might not be in a hurry, but other people might be.

True, I always make sure my trolley is to the side on those things.

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 09:00:00 am »

Exactly. Sometimes these examples of "bad etiquette" also involve bad etiquette on the part of the OP. You should always put your cart to the right. Likewise with people cutting in front of you in line, you better have your order ready and your cash ready. If you're waiting in line for 3 minutes and then stroll up and need to look at the menu, you're an ass.

One time I was at a Paris Baguette and the lady in front was talking on her phone. I just cut in front of her and handed over my cash. Her daughter had actually noticed and was trying to get her to do something. Whatever, I don't have time for that shit. Either be on point or you lose. The kids behind the counter kind of hesitated but certainty and decisiveness generally win out when dealing with young, minimum-wage workers.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2019, 09:27:11 am »

That's nice in theory, but trying to wrangle a full cart into the 180 degree turn onto the escalator while holding a squirming kid at the same time doesn't always allow perfect alignment of where one might want to put the cart.

That's the whole thing though. Yes, absolutely I'm sure when I'm walking hand and hand with my kid, or whatever else that someone behind me may be put out for a few seconds. I'm pretty cognizant of those around me and try to keep myself out of people's ways. But controlling another human sometimes makes it harder (much harder) to do these things. So, living in a society, one would hope that those around us can give a bit of leeway to the elderly, the infirm, the pregnant, parents dealing with small children etc. 
Unless it's a life and death situation the dick on the escalator could have waited the 30 seconds (absolute tops, probably less) to go and do his important things.

It's like the driving here. People try to make excuses for the sociopathic actions of some drivers by saying "well Koreans are so busy, so i guess that guy in the black Equus had somewhere important to be" When we all know full well, he's going home to do important things like watching tv and looking at his phone.

Just realized im talking to stillinkorea who if memory serves me.... learned to drive in Korea. God help us all.
Kpip! - Martin 2018