Read 1159 times

Re: Maybe students are dumber these days - Canucks anyway
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2019, 08:38:48 am »
nothing to be proud of but I only read possibly, at the maximum, one book a year, if that.  I enjoy reading books when I get into them, but I'm just not sure why I don't do it more often,  I generally find exercising more important.  Also I find my mind drifts when I'm reading and I carry on reading but after a couple of pages I realise that I haven't actually taken in those couple of pages and have to go back.  No idea why it is like that, as the rest of my family read tonnes of books.  Like I said, nothing to proud of, just seems to be how it is.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2019, 08:51:20 am »
Iím down to 3 or 4 a year, but my job has me reading quite a bit of technical material.

Also, I have family responsibilities.

My wife and 10 year old son are both voracious readers.

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2019, 09:45:51 am »
Yeah it pains me to say that I barely read these days.  I used to read a book a week a few years ago (I would read for an hour every day during my lunch break at work) and I loved it.  I couldn't get enough.

I've probably read five or six in the past year which is shameful.  Honestly I'd rather be watching Youtube haha.

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2019, 09:56:21 am »
How many BOOKS (minimum 100 pages) have you read in the last year?

I uncomfortably admit SIX.

I am 50 years old. I hear younger teachers say they haven't read a book in years. (Somehow online surfing is a substitute for sustained thought.)

One would think someone capable of binge watching several seasons of Game of Thrones could read a few books in the meantime.

This can be somewhat arbitrary. For example, if one were to read a book entitled "The Political Year in Review: The Most Insightful Political Writings of 2018" and it was 250 pages, you'd get credit for a book. However, if that book was simply a collection of articles and you read all of those articles online over the course of 2018, that wouldn't count. I mean, lots of famous works appeared as serials and such. Same goes for doing a deep Wikipedia dive or something like that.

What has declined is my consumption of fiction works across all mediums. Kindle? Almost all of it is non-fiction. TV? Mostly news/documentaries. If it is fiction, it's often docudramas/historical stuff. Well, except for GoT and maybe some old sitcoms (and yes, you haters will of course say- "You listen to Trump so that's fiction huh huh huh", we get it. Your entire world revolves around hating Trump and his supporters. It's the only thing that makes you feel good about yourself and gives you significance). Youtube? Mostly nonfiction. Internet browsing? Nonfiction. Even my gaming is more simulation/historical stuff. I don't even watch movies in the theater anymore.

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2019, 09:58:54 am »
There's more to life than books, you know
But not much more

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2019, 10:35:37 am »
This can be somewhat arbitrary. For example, if one were to read a book entitled "The Political Year in Review: The Most Insightful Political Writings of 2018" and it was 250 pages, you'd get credit for a book. However, if that book was simply a collection of articles and you read all of those articles online over the course of 2018, that wouldn't count.

yeah, i agree.  i think there's nothing special about reading 10, 20, 50, or 365 books a year if you're reading mostly junk or if "reading a book" means just reading the table of contents and the back cover.

• LIC
  • Veteran

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2019, 07:24:57 pm »

I am 50 years old. I hear younger teachers say they haven't read a book in years. (Somehow online surfing is a substitute for sustained thought.)

One would think someone capable of binge watching several seasons of Game of Thrones could read a few books in the meantime.

I average around 80 books a year and am a little embarrassed if that number falls into the 60's. A couple of years ago I set a goal of reading 120 books. I made it to 112 but some were pretty dense. I like to read a lot of physics stuff.

I have never played a computer game, I think they're stupid and a waste of time. I don't watch TV cuz 95% of it is absolute crap, including Game of Thrones.

I also write everyday. I am never bored.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2019, 09:21:20 am »

I average around 80 books a year and am a little embarrassed if that number falls into the 60's. A couple of years ago I set a goal of reading 120 books. I made it to 112 but some were pretty dense. I like to read a lot of physics stuff.

I have never played a computer game, I think they're stupid and a waste of time. I don't watch TV cuz 95% of it is absolute crap, including Game of Thrones.

I also write everyday. I am never bored.

Studies have proven that games, when played in moderation, can have positive effects.
Children who played puzzle games a few times a week for around an hour, had better critical thinking skills than those who didn't (Valve even made a special programme, giving special steam accounts to schools with their puzzle game portal after a big study on this a few years ago) (can't find the news article now, but here is a link about Valve's programme http://www.learnwithportals.com/)

Surgeons who played WoW at a high level for a few hours a night, a few nights a week, performed, and were able to adapt, better than those who didn't. http://www.nbcnews.com/id/26271240/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/can-world-warcraft-make-you-smarter/#.XO8veYgzaUk

While I enjoy reading, games are much better than books, IMO. You can control the character/s and read and see what happens in the story.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2019, 11:59:26 am »
"How many books do you read a year?"

As that supposed to be indicative of one's intelligence? As Hannibal would say "Noooo.... that is incidental."

I like to believe that it's your state of mind and awareness when reading... or doing anything for that matter, which determines what you're getting out of it. The same principle explains why so many Korean students read and memorize absurd amounts of English words and sentences, yet retain a tiny fraction. They're reading and studying with a sense of dread and boredom, not interest and awareness.

I'd rather read fewer books and get everything there is to get out of them than simply race through them and miss out.

Right now, I'm focusing most of my time on music, so, most of the reading I'm doing is sight-reading.

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2019, 12:31:07 pm »
Let's be honest. Not reading books doesn't necessarily make a person dumb but people who are dumb are uniformly people who don't read books

• LIC
  • Veteran

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2019, 09:07:38 am »
Let's be honest. Not reading books doesn't necessarily make a person dumb but people who are dumb are uniformly people who don't read books

Absolutely agree with this.

Also, averaging 6 novels a month is hardly reading overload. It is not challenging to read a NY Times best seller non-fiction book in 4-5 days.