Read 488 times

Dave Chappelle
« on: August 30, 2019, 12:34:47 am »
Dave Chappelle just released his new special on Netflix and its causing ripples. Some are criticizing his language regarding transgender individuals and others. Others are applauding him standing up to call-out culture.

Have you seen the special? How does this rate to Dave's other work? What was your reaction to it?

Also, former Heisman Trophy winner Desmond Howard recently got himself into hot water for paraprasing a joke from Chappelle Show during a broadcast of College Gameday.

https://sports.yahoo.com/desmond-howard-apologizes-for-quoting-chappelles-show-on-college-gameday-171140438.html

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
Re: Dave Chappelle
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 06:56:48 am »
Dave Chappelle is funny HAND DOWN!  However, I think he is still stuck on that "In Living Color" 90s era of when it was funny to still crack gay jokes and throw a limp wrist in it.  It's not.  And honestly that part of his act is a little bit tired and unoriginal. 

• stoat
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2019, 06:36:13 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 07:11:40 am »
There are no unfunny subjects, only unfunny jokes. Never seen this guy's act before but the Guardian hated it so maybe I'll give him a try.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/aug/28/shock-and-bore-how-dave-chappelle-lost-his-comic-touch

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 08:10:48 am »
Not a big stand up comedy fan, but this was absolute gold. Breaking down barriers and taboo topics with comedy is needed, so congratulations to the guy for standing up and doing it without fear of the permanently offended mob going after him. Hopefully it will start a trend.

Lost it when he was waving to the white trespasser on his property and when the trans needed to use the bathroom on the road trip.

You can either joke about everybody, or you can joke about nobody.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 11:30:27 am »
There are no unfunny subjects, only unfunny jokes. Never seen this guy's act before but the Guardian hated it so maybe I'll give him a try.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/aug/28/shock-and-bore-how-dave-chappelle-lost-his-comic-touch
Start with his sketch show 'Chappelle Show' and his first special Killin Them Softly (which I think is a bit more accessible)

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 11:35:24 am »
My favorite was in the extra (search online or if you have Netflix, you get it). He was talking with a trans audience member who loved his work. And then they had the insight- People were accusing him of normalizing R. Kelly's behavior because he joked about him. But no one accused him of normalizing transgender people because he joked about them. However the trans audience member thanked him for normalizing trans people. A lot of those moments in this where it calls out the people against him but if you go to the next level you also see it made him question things.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 11:42:54 am »
My favorite was in the extra (search online or if you have Netflix, you get it). He was talking with a trans audience member who loved his work. And then they had the insight- People were accusing him of normalizing R. Kelly's behavior because he joked about him. But no one accused him of normalizing transgender people because he joked about them. However the trans audience member thanked him for normalizing trans people. A lot of those moments in this where it calls out the people against him but if you go to the next level you also see it made him question things.

The Simpsons did this as well.

They had a goody-goody Christian, an Indian who ran a store, a gay exec assistant... it was a good cross-section of inclusiveness!

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 11:53:19 am »

The Simpsons did this as well.

They had a goody-goody Christian, an Indian who ran a store, a gay exec assistant... it was a good cross-section of inclusiveness!

Yes but the Indian guy was voiced by a white guy so = offensive.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 12:50:56 pm »
Yes but the Indian guy was voiced by a white guy so = offensive.

If gay people should fill gay roles and trans people fill trans roles in movies, then Neil Patrick Harris should DEF not have been in Gone Girl. haha