Read 1938 times

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: It just never stops, does it.
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2019, 09:01:32 am »
My best personal achievement: I have a “Scotch Appreciation Certificate” from “the Society of Scotch Connoisseurs”.

I picked up a form at the liquor store, they mailed me a course manual which had a multiple choice test in the back and a return envelope.

4-6 weeks later, a certificate arrived.

Didn’t even need to taste a single dram.

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2019, 10:14:42 am »
It's extending to our countries now. Barbers and manicurists now need licenses because of the 1/100,000,000 chance they might cut someone and contract Hep C. or accidentally mix two chemicals and kill someone. Add to that the 50 different SJW social courses. Fortunately the problem back home hasn't reached Korea levels.

Korea's certificate programs are extremely useless, profitable, and once you get in, are easy money. I see the shameless appeal over all, but as someone who is not profiting from it, I utterly despise them.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2019, 10:17:03 am »
I think I'm okay with the guy/gal putting sharp objects to my head needing to be properly certified to do so.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2019, 10:45:16 am »
I think I'm okay with the guy/gal putting sharp objects to my head needing to be properly certified to do so.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Meh, I don't think certification is the difference between the getting stabbed in the head or not. He's either Sweeney Todd or he isn't. I mean, in the 1980s and early-mid 90s we got along fine without any of this.

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2019, 11:28:47 am »
Meh, I don't think certification is the difference between the getting stabbed in the head or not. He's either Sweeney Todd or he isn't. I mean, in the 1980s and early-mid 90s we got along fine without any of this.

I don't know how well you remember the 90s, but the barbers I went to all proudly displayed their certification on their walls. I won't disagree that sometimes certification and qualification can go overboard, I just think you've chosen a bizarre example to go with. Barbers being trained and certified isn't a new thing, and I'm glad they have to do it.

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2019, 11:56:24 am »
I don't know how well you remember the 90s, but the barbers I went to all proudly displayed their certification on their walls. I won't disagree that sometimes certification and qualification can go overboard, I just think you've chosen a bizarre example to go with. Barbers being trained and certified isn't a new thing, and I'm glad they have to do it.
You're probably right on this. I mean, I'm not sure as 10-year old how closely I was paying attention to certificates instead of the Sports Illustrated and car magazines.

Yeah, maybe with barbers it makes sense, or at least stylists. There are probably better examples out there.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 12:01:32 pm by Mr.DeMartino »

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• SK
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2019, 12:10:38 pm »
You're probably right on this. I mean, I'm not sure as 10-year old how closely I was paying attention to certificates instead of the Sports Illustrated and car magazines.

Yeah, maybe with barbers it makes sense, or at least stylists. There are probably better examples out there.

I realize I'm drawing out this tangent, but oh well...

I was in my teens in the 90s (graduated in '99), so I hadn't always been paying attention, but I specifically remember a conversation my barber was having with another customer once, which triggered my curiosity. They were talking about how in the past, the certification requirements used to be more strict, because it used to be far more common for people to go to the barber for a hot shave with a straight razor.

The barber said that, as far as he knew, it wasn't even a requirement anymore to be able to demonstrate any proficiency in shaving, as it's something most barbers just don't have to do anymore. That's definitely one thing I'd definitely want the practitioner to be properly qualified to do before asking him to do it.

After that, I started noticing things like certificates hanging on the walls, wondering whether or not a particular barber would be able to shave someone without killing him.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2019, 02:39:50 pm »
You know the more you mention it, the more I'm having to change my opinion, sort of.

I think it would be pretty neat if there was some sort of Old-Timey barber certification where you had to be able to do everything old school and relied primarily on products that were available during the Roaring Twenties.

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2019, 01:30:26 pm »
The only certificate I ever received I was proud to yap about was for a weekend race car driving course I took. We ended up racing an F-2000 car for 45 laps around a 2 km track which was laid out on an old airport north of Toronto.

That was cool. Expensive...but way cool.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Professors fake research assistance from their children
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2019, 04:21:17 am »
It's extending to our countries now. Barbers and manicurists now need licenses because of the 1/100,000,000 chance they might cut someone and contract Hep C. or accidentally mix two chemicals and kill someone. Add to that the 50 different SJW social courses. Fortunately the problem back home hasn't reached Korea levels.

Korea's certificate programs are extremely useless, profitable, and once you get in, are easy money. I see the shameless appeal over all, but as someone who is not profiting from it, I utterly despise them.
I wouldn't call education/professional training a problem.  And it's nothing new, as you imply.