• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
Professors fake research assistance from their children
« on: May 14, 2019, 07:54:57 am »
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2019/05/181_268747.html

Nearly 90 professors have registered their children as co-authors of their theses although they did not participate in the research, a government inspection showed, Monday.

More than 500 professors also took part in even "fake" academic conferences where they could present their papers without any screening by paying a fee, according to the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Science and ICT.

The ministries' inspection revealed that 87 professors at 50 universities nationwide named their underage children or relatives as co-authors in 139 of their papers since 2007. Many of the children were middle or high school students at the time.

Seven of the 87 professors did so in 12 papers although their children were not involved in the studies. Among the eight involved children, two later went to universities here and six went to overseas institutions. The ministries and the universities are examining whether the fake involvement in the papers affected their admissions. The education ministry said it notified the universities abroad of the inspection results.

For the other 127 papers, the professors' schools said the children seemed to have participated in the research, but the education ministry concluded they did not in at least 85 papers.

Among the 85 theses, 51 were sponsored by government organizations including the defense ministry. The education ministry told the organizations to reassess the papers and take appropriate measures such as requesting the research money be returned.

Some of the professors have already been subject to disciplinary action from the schools or will face measures after further investigation.

The authorities also confirmed 574 professors from 90 universities nationwide participated in "predatory" conferences organized by two academic societies ― the World Academy of Science Engineering and Technology (WASET) and OMICS International. The two societies are used as tools for professors to exaggerate their research achievements by presenting their papers without screening, the ministries said.

The professors took part in the conferences over 808 times since 2014, and 473 professors' participation fees were paid by their schools or from government-sponsored research funds. Seven of them participated more than six times, with one attending 11 meetings and spending 33 million won ($27,870) in government funds.

Only five of the 574 professors were punished by their schools, while others were given a slap on the wrist or are awaiting disciplinary action.

Regarding the 473 professors sponsored by government organizations, they and the education ministry are taking steps to review their provision of funding and recover any money used improperly.

The education ministry said it would carry out an in-depth investigation into 15 universities where a large number of professors were involved in such malpractice, including Seoul National, Yonsei, Sungkyunkwan, Kyungpook National and Chung-Ang universities.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 02:53:17 pm by VanIslander »
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
Re: It just never stops, does it.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 08:21:58 am »
Obviously this is Japanís fault because of their horrible treatment of Koreans during the colonial period. Korea was a utopia prior to foreign influence.

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 08:45:00 am »
I don't get all this coming out now. It's been 'not what you know but who you know' for as long as humanity has existed. Are people surprised by this? I have friends from school who failed exams and didn't even go to university get jobs at their parents workplace (not even their parents company)  who earn more in a year than I do in 10 years. Why the sudden outcry? Life ain't fair.
Who is here in 2019?

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 09:36:22 am »
That is some real ballsy subterfuge. I wonder how they described their children on the authors' page--"award-winning middle school student"?

I'm glad they got caught and hope they have to pay back any government funding with interest.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 09:48:14 am »
I don't get all this coming out now. It's been 'not what you know but who you know' for as long as humanity has existed. Are people surprised by this? I have friends from school who failed exams and didn't even go to university get jobs at their parents workplace (not even their parents company)  who earn more in a year than I do in 10 years. Why the sudden outcry? Life ain't fair.

I don't get your comment. Are you okay with this?
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 10:04:55 am »
Koreans cheating?!?

Really....is anyone surprised in the least by this?

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 10:15:00 am »
Korea:  Sorta 1st world on the outside, but on the inside still very much a poor, developing country.

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 12:22:30 pm »

Nothing I can do to change it therefore I couldn't care less. It is wrong but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it because this has been happening since the beginning of time in all walks of life. Might as well do away with the Royal family if you want to wield the justice axe.
Who is here in 2019?

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 04:09:58 am »

Nothing I can do to change it therefore I couldn't care less. It is wrong but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it because this has been happening since the beginning of time in all walks of life. Might as well do away with the Royal family if you want to wield the justice axe.
You mean the chaebol owners?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 05:22:30 am »
they repeat this news article every year, it seems

same "professors" or different though?

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 12:38:18 pm »
Korea:  Sorta 1st world on the outside, but on the inside still very much a poor, developing country.

Like the US and their recent college admissions test scandal too?

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 02:12:19 pm »

So being poor means you're a liar and a cheat?

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 03:41:34 pm »

So being poor means you're a liar and a cheat?

In terms of countries, corruption and poverty usually go and in hand

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 05:59:48 pm »

The US thing was isolated.  Korea it's endemic.  I could you tell you some stories...

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2019, 06:49:03 pm »

The US thing was isolated.  Korea it's endemic.  I could you tell you some stories...
The others just haven't been caught yet.

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2019, 07:51:54 pm »
What does it mean if your child is a
co-author? What advantage is it to the professor or child?

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2019, 11:14:40 pm »

Obviously it gives the person named some academic prestige. Something they can put on their resume.

This is why research papers by Koreans always list tons of people as co-authors. I mean excessive amounts. Basically they're sticking all their mates names on it  in the hope they return the favor sometime.

How many does it take?

How to change a lightbulb.  Kim, J-Y, Lee, K-Y, Park, S-B,  Jeong, S-U, Jeon, T-H, Kim, J-U, Lee, S-H, Shim, F-E, Park, Y-O, Seo, J-I, Kim, L-Y, Lee, S-U, Park, J-I,  Jeong, S-U, Jeon, T-H, Kim, J-U, Lee, S-H, Shim, F-E, Park, Y-O, Seo, J-I, Kim, L-Y, Lee, S-U, Park, J-I,  Jeong, S-U, Jeon, T-H, Kim, J-U, Lee, S-H, Shim, F-E, Park, Y-O, Seo, J-I, Kim, L-Y, Lee, S-U, Park, J-I,  Jeong, S-U, Jeon, T-H, Kim, J-U, Lee, S-H, Shim, F-E, Park, Y-O, Seo, J-I, Kim, L-Y, Lee, S-U, Park, J-I,  Jeong, S-U, Jeon, T-H, Kim, J-U, Lee, S-H, Shim, F-E, Park, Y-O, Seo, J-I, Kim, L-Y, Lee, S-U, Park, J-I,  Jeong, S-U, Jeon, T-H, Kim, J-U, Lee, S-H, Shim, F-E, Park, Y-O, Seo, J-I, Kim, L-Y, Lee, S-U, Park, J-I,  Jeong, S-U, Jeon, T-H, Kim, J-U, Lee, S-H, Shim, F-E, Park, Y-O, Seo, J-I, Kim, L-Y, Lee, S-U, Park, J-I, Jeong, S-U, Jeon, T-H, Kim, J-U, Lee, S-H, Shim, F-E, Park, Y-O, Seo, J-I, Kim, L-Y, Lee, S-U, Park, J-I,   Journal of how to help friends progress in academia, pp 200- 201 (2019).

Catch my drift?

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2019, 02:46:48 pm »

Obviously it gives the person named some academic prestige. Something they can put on their resume.

This is why research papers by Koreans always list tons of people as co-authors. I mean excessive amounts. Basically they're sticking all their mates names on it  in the hope they return the favor sometime.

How many does it take?

How to change a lightbulb.  Kim, J-Y, Lee, K-Y, Park, S-B,  Jeong, S-U, Jeon, T-H, Kim, J-U, Lee, S-H, Shim, F-E, Park, Y-O, Seo, J-I, Kim, L-Y, Lee, S-U, Park, J-I,  Jeong, S-U, Jeon, T-H, Kim, J-U, Lee, S-H, Shim, F-E, Park, Y-O, Seo, J-I, Kim, L-Y, Lee, S-U, Park, J-I,  Jeong, S-U, Jeon, T-H, Kim, J-U, Lee, S-H, Shim, F-E, Park, Y-O, Seo, J-I, Kim, L-Y, Lee, S-U, Park, J-I,  Jeong, S-U, Jeon, T-H, Kim, J-U, Lee, S-H, Shim, F-E, Park, Y-O, Seo, J-I, Kim, L-Y, Lee, S-U, Park, J-I,  Jeong, S-U, Jeon, T-H, Kim, J-U, Lee, S-H, Shim, F-E, Park, Y-O, Seo, J-I, Kim, L-Y, Lee, S-U, Park, J-I,  Jeong, S-U, Jeon, T-H, Kim, J-U, Lee, S-H, Shim, F-E, Park, Y-O, Seo, J-I, Kim, L-Y, Lee, S-U, Park, J-I,  Jeong, S-U, Jeon, T-H, Kim, J-U, Lee, S-H, Shim, F-E, Park, Y-O, Seo, J-I, Kim, L-Y, Lee, S-U, Park, J-I, Jeong, S-U, Jeon, T-H, Kim, J-U, Lee, S-H, Shim, F-E, Park, Y-O, Seo, J-I, Kim, L-Y, Lee, S-U, Park, J-I,   Journal of how to help friends progress in academia, pp 200- 201 (2019).

Hilarious. I counted 81 names, 50 of which were either: Kim, Lee, Park. Most of the rest were Jeong, Jeon, Shim or Seo

Can you name 1 other country on the planet that would have a similar situation?

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2019, 04:59:26 pm »

How many does it take?

Priceless, but yeah, as Cyanea said, the more space you've got filled on a CV the better.

Last year, the teachers had an afternoon workshop on first aid. My CT told me they just watched a video, where shown first aid
on a dummy, none of them did it themselves and boom, first aid certificate in a velvet binder.
A Korean acquaintance got introduced to  boardgames during a boardgame night with my buddy. She loved it, 2 weeks later she'd
gotten a "boardgame certificate" after doing a workshop on boardgames.... What?

All this crap goes on their CV.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2019, 10:59:42 am »

Last year, the teachers had an afternoon workshop on first aid. My CT told me they just watched a video, where shown first aid
on a dummy, none of them did it themselves and boom, first aid certificate in a velvet binder.
A Korean acquaintance got introduced to  boardgames during a boardgame night with my buddy. She loved it, 2 weeks later she'd
gotten a "boardgame certificate" after doing a workshop on boardgames.... What?

All this crap goes on their CV.

The certifications/licensing of every single pointless "skill" is a hangover from the Joseon period. I got done reading Everyday Life in Joseon-Era Korea: Economy and Society (which is a pretty good edited collection by Michael shin if anyone is interested in that kind of thing)  one part explained the different licenses needed for the most mundane tasks.

One of my students had a unique (for Korea) taste in music and liked a lot of 90s alt rock. He used to talk to me about it. One day he came in with a bound certification in "Rock Music". I asked him what it meant and he said that he went to a course on listening rock music and he was now officially licensed as a "Rock fan".

I also have a stack of these certifications, usually for just sitting in auditorium for an afternoon and listening to mostly Korean speakers ramble on. My favourite is my "international ambassadorship" for visiting some island in the yellow sea.

Kpip! - Martin 2018