Read 2035 times

Re: What is it with Koreans chucking trash on the street
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2019, 01:40:35 pm »
In my experience it extends to school as well.  The students are always leaving their empty cups on window sills in the corridors or on the floor.  After the yogurt lady has finished selling the small bottles to the students at lunchtime I see her walking around the school picking up after them.

I always try to pick up rubbish when I'm walking around the school because a) I want to work in a nice, clean place and b) I hope that students will see me doing it and it will rub off on them.

Dropping litter is something that winds me up more than most other things (whether it's in Korea or back home).

• T.J.
  • Veteran

• June 09, 2011, 11:07:16 am
    • 서울 은평구 연신내
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2019, 05:41:16 pm »
Wow, DM you can get so wound up, YOU should chill out and by the way since you weren't with me and didn't live where I did, you have no qualification to question me.
This being the "Unique only to you" experience of Gangnam Station Exit 11?  :laugh:

What's next, claiming that no one knows what the situation is like on the road behind the Hamilton? Or maybe "You didn't live by the Hongdae playground, I did. Don't tell me what it's like there, you have no idea!" No, I'm pretty sure most of us know what the situation is like...

For effs sake dude, maybe if you were talking about some Bum-F East red light neighborhood in Pohang you might have a point, but you're talking about one of the more popular gathering spots in Seoul. Like probably everyone who lives in Seoul meets up there at least a few times a year and has been out till 6AM in Gangnam a time or two. This isn't some deep mystery. Heck, maybe if you were talking about some party alley at a 2nd/3rd-tier place like Suyu or Yeonsinnae you could get away with that, but not there.

I'm sure all of you dodge condoms left and right and wade through mountains of trash every time you hit up Gangnam behind the CGV!

Hey now! Don't start disparaging my neighborhood. 
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2019, 12:27:10 am »
Them filthy Koreans! Chinese MexicansSaffies Kiwis oh it's Liverpool... :azn:

Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2019, 07:50:55 am »
So to answer your question.

This mostly applies to older people, and is a mindset that came about as a result of the 새마을운몽 saemaeul undong or New Village program under the Park  Chung-hee administration in the early 70s. 

One element of the program was that each family/home was responsible for cleaning up their surrounding area.  It was/is part of national pride for people to have a tidy street.  As a result, you didn't worry too much about littering, since you knew your neighbors would come along soon to pick up.  You picked up other people's trash around your jib, so it all worked out.

Nowadays, there's a lot less "ownership" of the streets because of high rises, and coupled with the fact that public trash cans are an anomaly, you may get some litter.  However, I have to say that, with the exception of corners where trash bags get piled on trash collection day--I haven't really found the streets of Seoul to be any worse than most other places.  I've lived in four different neighborhoods.

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2019, 09:14:33 am »

Wow that's an old photo you've dug up there. How do I know? Dude look at them Big Mac boxes.

EVERY city has got it's share of grime.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2019, 10:02:19 am »
Yet you
"Maybe the hot weather is causing havoc with peoples morals" - OP

There's your answer there. There are no morals here when it comes to caring about anyone but yourself or your immediate family.

Smoke cigarettes in front of a sign saying no smoking 10만 원 fine - no one cares
Drive through red light  - no one cares
Park anywhere you like - no one cares
Spit in street like a Boeing 747 taking off - no one cares
No entry sign on road - no one cares
Get smashed in the local 공원 and leave Soju bottles and Noodles cups all over the place - no one cares
Download 50 applications to buy socks online - no one cares
Vacuum at 7am on a Saturday/Sunday morning - no one cares
Make an announcement on apartment intercom at 7 am on a Saturday/Sunday morning about 맛있는 딸기 - no one cares
Ride a night bus to airport everyone blasting Ka Talk message tones off at 1000db - no one cares
Get extorted by Samsung for electronics items 3x the price than abroad - no one cares
Tell co pilot he's about to crash into a mountain but you are younger than him - no one cares
Stand in line for a bus and end up last on - no one cares

Say 'This burger tastes terrible on Naver blog' - Sued for defamation of character, slander and loss of earnings. 

Edit: apparently you can't type Hangul on this forum any more. What a mess you've made.

have nor problem with professors listing their children as co-authors of published papers.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2019, 10:03:54 am »
You are going to get a broadside from Mr Dm, he will tell you that you are imagining it. A while back I posted that the trash (cigarette butts, used condoms and general trash) and vomit outside my apartment in Gangnam was appalling, he then launched a tirade against me telling me I was not being truthful (of course he had lived in the exact spot I had...... not), so he was able to give a personal, detailed explanation of how deluded I was.

So just be forewarned, you are going to get it in the neck.

Dude, you said there was an ocean of used condoms and drunks all over Gangnam. All of us have been to Gangnam. No, we weren't dodging condoms. You also made it sound like Gangnam was some sort of insane place where it was a constant orgy of drunken madness and debauchery. You also called Gangnam as "for the elite". Dude, anyone can go to Gangnam. And Gangnam is no "crazier" than Shinchon. Or Jonggak. Or Geondae. Or Daehak-ro.

You can make the point of "Seoul should be cleaner" without the nonsense hyperbole.  More public wastebaskets. More organized trash disposal. Better littering education and etiquette.

I will say, the subways are pretty darn clean.

Anyways, opinion seems to vary considerably on this issue as to how dirty Korea and Koreans actually are
https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=21286.40
Are you complaining about hyperbole? Hyperbole is your stick in trade.

Save up and buy a mirror. Then take a good look in it.

• Colburnnn
  • Adventurer

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2019, 10:07:47 am »

What does this picture from 2000 have to do with Korean people blatantly not giving a shit about chucking shit on the street? Do you hate Liverpool? Because that post smelt a bit like that.

If you're British, then you know full well that littering is deeply frowned upon and people WILL speak up about it. Here, no. Denial about that won't help you.

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2019, 10:24:11 am »
The good old days of rubbish disposal  ;D

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhcKuMjvcCk

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2019, 11:33:49 am »
I think one of the reasons why it's so prevalent here is due both to the lack of public trash bins and because they have a lot of street cleaners to "address" the issue. They don't see how problematic the open littering is because people clean it up in the early morning before it can get severe, and, as far as many people are concerned, that's what their jobs are for, so why bother carrying trash home?

Some areas are far worse than others thanks to the night life, and yes, littering is a problem in all countries, but I've never seen it as blatant as here, and I really think it's because of the above and the cultural acceptance of it as a norm. The logic is that everyone does it, and it all gets cleaned up anyway, so what's the problem?

They should bring back public trash bins, make them more common in high traffic areas, and place them where CCTV cameras are if they're still concerned about people illegally stuffing the bins with their home garbage. And obviously, enforce fines and other penalties for intentional littering.

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2019, 03:41:18 pm »
Japan has a similar campaign of not having many public trash cans in urban areas, but you don't see garbage lying around everywhere.

Considering how much pride Koreans have about Korea they sure treat it like crap.

That said, someone chucked a Lime scooter into the "river" behind my apartment here in New Zealand. And at least there isn't human piss and shit everywhere in Korea like in elite San Francisco.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2019, 04:20:37 pm »
littering is probably my biggest pet peeve. people who litter are scum. sub-human scum

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2019, 04:28:53 pm »
It's not even the littering itself. There are hundreds of more egregious acts you could name in an instant. It's the complete disregard for everyone around you and the complete arrogance of thinking you're above it all.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2019, 08:27:29 pm »
It's not even the littering itself. There are hundreds of more egregious acts you could name in an instant. It's the complete disregard for everyone around you and the complete arrogance of thinking you're above it all.
yeah but i see that behaviour in regards to driving, walking, subways, buses, noise at night, elevators, smoking while walking, etc, etc.. but littering is still the most irritating

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2019, 08:32:31 pm »
yeah but i see that behaviour in regards to driving, walking, subways, buses, noise at night, elevators, smoking while walking, etc, etc.. but littering is still the most irritating

I was agreeing with you. haha
The joys of fauxtherhood

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2019, 08:42:21 pm »
ah. yeah. just reread it ;)

• kobayashi
  • Expert Waygook

• August 18, 2016, 11:14:47 am
    • Nibiru
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2019, 08:48:05 pm »
admittedly never been to China but hear bad things

you should come to China, i live here now after having spent many years in korea.

the streets here are sparkling clean and hardly anyone litters. not kidding. not exaggerating. there are trash cans everywhere too.
i might take some pictures over the weekend to prove it since i guess most of you living in the hellscape that is south korea probably won't believe me.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2019, 08:59:14 pm »
i was generally impressed with most of china. friendly and polite people, generally clean. one of my favourite moments was when we were in an elevator, and a kid said "FOREIGNER" in chinese and pointed at us. his mum said something to him, which my friend later translated as "shh. do you want them to think chinese people have no manners?". hah

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2019, 08:42:07 am »

you should come to China, i live here now after having spent many years in korea.

the streets here are sparkling clean and hardly anyone litters. not kidding. not exaggerating. there are trash cans everywhere too.
i might take some pictures over the weekend to prove it since i guess most of you living in the hellscape that is south korea probably won't believe me.

I agree. As I said before, I found China way cleaner than Korea, the people much more friendly and open and don't get bent all out of shape if you don't know everything about their culture and somehow do something that runs contrary to it.

Their government though......................... not so much.
Everything is not as it seems.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2019, 11:58:20 am »

Are the public toilets in Beijing still literally a bunch of holes in the grounds with NO DIVIDERS?

Do kids still squat down and shit/piss on subway platforms and on busy sidewalks? Saw this every day multiple times in Beijing. This was 3 years ago and I doubt Chinese culture has changed since then.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit