Read 2296 times

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
Re: What is it with Koreans chucking trash on the street
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2019, 11:49:51 am »
admittedly never been to China but hear bad things

you should come to China, i live here now after having spent many years in korea.

the streets here are sparkling clean and hardly anyone litters. not kidding. not exaggerating. there are trash cans everywhere too.
i might take some pictures over the weekend to prove it since i guess most of you living in the hellscape that is south korea probably won't believe me.

Have to keep something clean since they don't give af about the air.  Sorry, China is the last country that gets any awards for the environment.    Still makes me laugh how people rave about China.  They are by far the country who is doing the most to eff up the world, be it theft of intellectual property, human rights atrocity, the ozone layer.  How anyone (not saying the person i'm replying to was doing this, just in general) can criticize the morality of littering, yet support the Chinese economy is outstandingly brazen.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2019, 12:26:58 pm »

you should come to China, i live here now after having spent many years in korea.

the streets here are sparkling clean and hardly anyone litters. not kidding. not exaggerating. there are trash cans everywhere too.
i might take some pictures over the weekend to prove it since i guess most of you living in the hellscape that is south korea probably won't believe me.

Have to keep something clean since they don't give af about the air.  Sorry, China is the last country that gets any awards for the environment.    Still makes me laugh how people rave about China.  They are by far the country who is doing the most to eff up the world, be it theft of intellectual property, human rights atrocity, the ozone layer.  How anyone (not saying the person i'm replying to was doing this, just in general) can criticize the morality of littering, yet support the Chinese economy is outstandingly brazen.

They're after that sweet, sweet social credit score.

* People in China are given points when praising the government on a public forum.

• gagevt
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 24, 2013, 01:55:38 pm
    • Gyeongbuk
    more
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2019, 02:45:59 pm »
I've gotten on my kids backs about their littering on school grounds in recent years. This goes double if I find a wrapper of something I gave to them. A couple times I'd be shooting the breeze with some of my students, and one drops some type of wrapper on the ground in front of us, when a garbage can is literally 5 steps away. Seriously? I also think having the drainage ditch with the grate on it running around the school grounds doesn't help at all. They think if they can't see it, they don't have to worry about it, so they drop it down there.

Eventually someone would drop a wrapper or something, see me, and then go pick it up and throw it away properly. Or their friends would get on them about it. Felt good to have an impact like that. I just hope it doesn't wear off when they leave school. (I know it does :cry:) I can't be as hard on them as I'd like to about the whole issue, cause ya know, foreigner and all...
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword."

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2019, 06:30:38 pm »

Are the public toilets in Beijing still literally a bunch of holes in the grounds with NO DIVIDERS?

Do kids still squat down and shit/piss on subway platforms and on busy sidewalks? Saw this every day multiple times in Beijing. This was 3 years ago and I doubt Chinese culture has changed since then.

Kids piss on the sidewalks from Madrid to Montreal to Melbourne. If you’ve ever had kids, you would see this as preferable to the pissing in their pants.

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2019, 06:50:51 pm »

Are the public toilets in Beijing still literally a bunch of holes in the grounds with NO DIVIDERS?

Do kids still squat down and shit/piss on subway platforms and on busy sidewalks? Saw this every day multiple times in Beijing. This was 3 years ago and I doubt Chinese culture has changed since then.

Kids piss on the sidewalks from Madrid to Montreal to Melbourne. If you’ve ever had kids, you would see this as preferable to the pissing in their pants.

I have never seen a child pee or poop on the sidewalk anywhere in the world outside of China. I saw it multiple times in the space of 4 days in Beijing. We have these things called bushes back home, maybe look them up.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2019, 09:14:19 am »

They're after that sweet, sweet social credit score.

* People in China are given points when praising the government on a public forum.

Sounds like an episode of Black Mirror, lol.

« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2019, 09:31:58 am »
You are going to get a broadside from Mr Dm, he will tell you that you are imagining it. A while back I posted that the trash (cigarette butts, used condoms and general trash) and vomit outside my apartment in Gangnam was appalling, he then launched a tirade against me telling me I was not being truthful (of course he had lived in the exact spot I had...... not), so he was able to give a personal, detailed explanation of how deluded I was.

So just be forewarned, you are going to get it in the neck.

Dude, you said there was an ocean of used condoms and drunks all over Gangnam. All of us have been to Gangnam. No, we weren't dodging condoms. You also made it sound like Gangnam was some sort of insane place where it was a constant orgy of drunken madness and debauchery. You also called Gangnam as "for the elite". Dude, anyone can go to Gangnam. And Gangnam is no "crazier" than Shinchon. Or Jonggak. Or Geondae. Or Daehak-ro.

You can make the point of "Seoul should be cleaner" without the nonsense hyperbole.  More public wastebaskets. More organized trash disposal. Better littering education and etiquette.

I will say, the subways are pretty darn clean.

Anyways, opinion seems to vary considerably on this issue as to how dirty Korea and Koreans actually are
https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=21286.40
Are you complaining about hyperbole? Hyperbole is your stick in trade.

Save up and buy a mirror. Then take a good look in it.

but, but, but Hillary's condoms...

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2019, 12:00:20 pm »
I've gotten on my kids backs about their littering on school grounds in recent years. This goes double if I find a wrapper of something I gave to them. A couple times I'd be shooting the breeze with some of my students, and one drops some type of wrapper on the ground in front of us, when a garbage can is literally 5 steps away. Seriously? I also think having the drainage ditch with the grate on it running around the school grounds doesn't help at all. They think if they can't see it, they don't have to worry about it, so they drop it down there.

Eventually someone would drop a wrapper or something, see me, and then go pick it up and throw it away properly. Or their friends would get on them about it. Felt good to have an impact like that. I just hope it doesn't wear off when they leave school. (I know it does :cry:) I can't be as hard on them as I'd like to about the whole issue, cause ya know, foreigner and all...
Doing the good work. Keep it up, sir.

• fka
  • Adventurer

• September 05, 2019, 06:37:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2019, 09:51:33 am »
Pretty spectacular example of K-logic here....

I live near a popular park that gets a lot of visitors when the weather is nice. Lots of people picnicking, drinking (without being public nuisances about it), and walking their dogs. When I first moved here a couple years ago, there were rubbish bins dispersed throughout the park, and apart from the stray bottle or food wrapper here and there, the park was pretty immaculate. Naturally, this situation couldn't stand, so the authorities removed all but one bin. The result - as one might expect - was more rubbish, more uncollected dog waste and more old people picking up the mess with the little grabbing sticks. At the beginning of the summer, a genuinely smart decision was made to reinstall some bins since the city clearly anticipated that the park would see heavier use. Earlier this week, despite the great weather and a holiday /  weekend bridge, they removed all the extra bins, presumably thinking, Well, summer's officially over... The need for rubbish disposal has evaporated. The result? People throwing loose rubbish into a giant pile where the bins used to be.