Read 1956 times

• Colburnnn
  • Adventurer

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
What is it with Koreans chucking trash on the street
« on: May 14, 2019, 07:38:24 am »
Maybe the hot weather is causing havoc with peoples morals, but over the past week I've seen 5 incidents of blatant 'not giving a f**k' trash throwing at the side of the road. And not in a trash pile either, just thrown into a bush or at a stop light. 3 times with elementary school kids, whose parents have not even batted an eye lid. Do they not get taught this kinda stuff by their parents? Or schools.

Shocking and sad to see so many people just not care in the slightest.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
Re: What is it with Koreans chucking trash on the street
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 07:45:12 am »
You are going to get a broadside from Mr Dm, he will tell you that you are imagining it. A while back I posted that the trash (cigarette butts, used condoms and general trash) and vomit outside my apartment in Gangnam was appalling, he then launched a tirade against me telling me I was not being truthful (of course he had lived in the exact spot I had...... not), so he was able to give a personal, detailed explanation of how deluded I was.

So just be forewarned, you are going to get it in the neck.
Everything is not as it seems.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 07:49:04 am »
Definitely not the hot weather.  Public garbage cans are few and far between here.  Combined with the fact people don't seem to give a sh*t about tossing stuff on the ground you can see the result everywhere you go.  Sometimes these church or work groups get mobilized and go clean up public areas, but this only seems to enforce the idea that if you toss it on the ground someone (surrogate mom) will clean up after you.  I go hiking regularly and always have a backpack full of garbage by the time I've get home. 

• Colburnnn
  • Adventurer

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 09:05:20 am »
You are going to get a broadside from Mr Dm, he will tell you that you are imagining it. A while back I posted that the trash (cigarette butts, used condoms and general trash) and vomit outside my apartment in Gangnam was appalling, he then launched a tirade against me telling me I was not being truthful (of course he had lived in the exact spot I had...... not), so he was able to give a personal, detailed explanation of how deluded I was.

Well... I'm not. There are numerous things people complain about on here and not all of them are substantiated. But Koreans are the only people I've seen (admittedly never been to China but hear bad things) who do not give one single **** about leaving shit everywhere they go. The outside of the CU I live above is an absolute shithole every morning because people can't be assed to move 1 yard and put their crap in the bin. The mentality some of them have regarding trash is disgusting.

Definitely not the hot weather.  Public garbage cans are few and far between here.  Combined with the fact people don't seem to give a sh*t about tossing stuff on the ground you can see the result everywhere you go.  Sometimes these church or work groups get mobilized and go clean up public areas, but this only seems to enforce the idea that if you toss it on the ground someone (surrogate mom) will clean up after you.  I go hiking regularly and always have a backpack full of garbage by the time I've get home. 

Not an excuse, take your crap home and dispose of it using your bins at home. The 3 parents that just ignored their kids doing it are just as bad. I like pretty much everything about Korea (some things are irritating but not enough to leave yet) but the trash situation and mentality around it is just revolting and infuriating. When I saw them do it I wanted to pick it up and throw it back at them... Maybe when I get my F visa...

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 09:05:28 am »
"Maybe the hot weather is causing havoc with peoples morals" - OP

There's your answer there. There are no morals here when it comes to caring about anyone but yourself or your immediate family.

Smoke cigarettes in front of a sign saying no smoking 10만 원 fine - no one cares
Drive through red light  - no one cares
Park anywhere you like - no one cares
Spit in street like a Boeing 747 taking off - no one cares
No entry sign on road - no one cares
Get smashed in the local 공원 and leave Soju bottles and Noodles cups all over the place - no one cares
Download 50 applications to buy socks online - no one cares
Vacuum at 7am on a Saturday/Sunday morning - no one cares
Make an announcement on apartment intercom at 7 am on a Saturday/Sunday morning about 맛있는 딸기 - no one cares
Ride a night bus to airport everyone blasting Ka Talk message tones off at 1000db - no one cares
Get extorted by Samsung for electronics items 3x the price than abroad - no one cares
Tell co pilot he's about to crash into a mountain but you are younger than him - no one cares
Stand in line for a bus and end up last on - no one cares

Say 'This burger tastes terrible on Naver blog' - Sued for defamation of character, slander and loss of earnings. 

Edit: apparently you can't type Hangul on this forum any more. What a mess you've made.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:07:32 am by AvecPommesFrites »
Who is here in 2019?

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 09:35:16 am »
그래요?

I really hate when I start my computer and it won't just change KOR to ENG when I hit the keyboard button. I have to go into the toolbar and mess around with the language.

If I hit the button on my keyboard, just change the bloody language. Jesus.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:39:33 am by CO2 »
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 10:03:06 am »

Dude, you said there was an ocean of used condoms and drunks all over Gangnam. All of us have been to Gangnam. No, we weren't dodging condoms. You also made it sound like Gangnam was some sort of insane place where it was a constant orgy of drunken madness and debauchery. You also called Gangnam as "for the elite". Dude, anyone can go to Gangnam. And Gangnam is no "crazier" than Shinchon. Or Jonggak. Or Geondae. Or Daehak-ro.

You can make the point of "Seoul should be cleaner" without the nonsense hyperbole.  More public wastebaskets. More organized trash disposal. Better littering education and etiquette.

I will say, the subways are pretty darn clean.

Anyways, opinion seems to vary considerably on this issue as to how dirty Korea and Koreans actually are
https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=21286.40

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 10:15:01 am »
To be fair to confusedsafferinkorea, I'm pretty sure he only ever talked about the area outside his apartment and described it as it was.  I don't remember him describing "an ocean of used condoms and drunks all over Gangnam".

I also think Seoul might have changed since 2011 (the thread you linked).

The subways in Korea are immaculate, yeah.  Korea should be very proud of that.

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2019, 10:23:26 am »
To be fair to confusedsafferinkorea, I'm pretty sure he only ever talked about the area outside his apartment and described it as it was.  I don't remember him describing "an ocean of used condoms and drunks all over Gangnam".
No, he talked about all of Gangnam being like that with the vomit and the drunks and the condoms.

I mean dude made it sound crazier than Ibiza or Cancun during spring break. It just undercut his credibility. All he had to do is say "One example of how this place can jump out at you with unexpected filth is trash you might find outside your apartment building. One day someone left a random bookcase. Another time it was all their chicken bones. And one time it was a condom. A used condom."

Believable. Understandable. But "Dodging condoms"??? Please. Dude is either living under a whorehouse or he's full of it.

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2019, 10:56:44 am »
Do they not get taught this kinda stuff by their parents?

You think these parents actually do any parenting?

No, he talked about all of Gangnam being like that with the vomit and the drunks and the condoms.

Ever heard of an exaggeration? He was just trying to get a point across. There were lots of condoms. No one here believes it was a literal ocean. Just leave the man be.
The World Ends With You

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 11:39:22 am »
There were lots of condoms. No one here believes it was a literal ocean. Just leave the man be.
Apparently there *is* a sea of condoms out there: while it's mostly made of fishing gear, a percentage of the Great Pacific Garbage Patch is made of discarded condoms.

Also, I run along the river in the mornings, and I've occasionally come across used condoms on the track. I frequently have nightmares of that whole slipping-on-banana-peels-comedy-routine, except that it's a condom and not a banana...

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2019, 11:43:01 am »

Also, I run along the river in the mornings, and I've occasionally come across used condoms on the track. I frequently have nightmares of that whole slipping-on-banana-peels-comedy-routine, except that it's a condom and not a banana...

That'd be a real boner on your part and not very becumming of you.

No more puns, that's a wrap.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• Mister Tim
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 08, 2013, 10:33:54 am
    • SK
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 11:45:31 am »
For the curious who might want to check for themselves, here's ConfusedSaffer's original post:

https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=115999.msg779808#msg779808

Here's the relevant bit:

If I had friends coming to visit me in the morning, say on a Saturday, I used to have to apologize to them for having to step over the puke and condoms outside my apartment. I was so embarrassed .  This in the elite, Gangnam.

He was in fact only talking about the area outside his apartment. He mentioned that again later in the same thread, when "someone" reacted as though he was saying the entirety of Gangnam was a sea of dongjackets, when he clearly was not.

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 11:46:13 am »

Put down the pun and surrender peacefully!

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 12:00:07 pm »
Punning again? I'm sorry, but we can't condome that kind of behaviour here. I mean, we certainly don't want that filthy kind of humour rubbing off on other people! If you can't picture the catastrophe that would arise, let me draw you a diaphragm:

Total bollocks. Utter kayos>:(

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2019, 12:18:07 pm »
Do they not get taught this kinda stuff by their parents?

You think these parents actually do any parenting?

Ever heard of an exaggeration? He was just trying to get a point across. There were lots of condoms. No one here believes it was a literal ocean. Just leave the man be.

Thanks

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2019, 12:49:16 pm »
For all the nationalistic, blowhard behaviour, it's always amusing to see those same old men hocking on their countries pavements, dropping their cigarette packets and coffee cups and generally not giving a crap as to how filthy things look.

I remember a few years ago, Busan had some pretty nasty storms, which left the beach-fronts laden with debris and rubbish. Just one family took it upon themselves to clean up the mess, while all the Koreans watched and guess what, it was a family of expats.

Though it's worse in China, it's still the same thing and happens for similar reasons. It seems Jeong (IDGAF about anyone outside my circle) extends to the environment too, as long as the inside of my apartment and my car is clean, everything else can rot in filth.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2019, 12:53:15 pm »
At the risk of incurring the  wrath of people, where I lived in China was infinitely cleaner than Seoul. I am not saying this applies to all of China, it's a huge country but where I lived was really clean and if people did throw things down there were hordes of street cleaner to sort the problem.

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2019, 01:17:47 pm »
I was drinking a coffee on the street once and holding onto my empty cup. My Korean friend was a little puzzled and told me to put it down. She pointed to the side of the street where there were a bunch of other cups etc. She said it was fine just putting it on the street like that.

I literally couldn't believe it. I've always had it absolutely ingrained in me that you take your rubbish home if there's no bins around. I couldn't physically do it, she ended up grabbing it from me insisting it was fine and putting it there herself aha.

Not judging....but that was a bit of a culture shock moment for me. Also there's plenty of people who litter where I'm from too but I think the difference is they KNOW it's not okay and are subject to judgment and even a telling off if seen. (When she did it here I was so embarrassed I near ran away from the scene of the "crime" aha).

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2019, 01:24:41 pm »
Gangnam, on the other hand, where I used to live was a total trash heap and every morning when I left my apartment I had to wade through trash, vomit and used condoms. Nothing like that where I live now. So as someone said, pot, kettle, black.

It bothers me that I must apologise to my friends when they come to visit me for having to wade through an ocean of flyers, cigarette butts, condoms, vomit, spit etc etc and this happens everyday, not just weekends.

So if you don't mind living in those conditions, good for you, but for me it is not acceptable. I live in Gangnam, supposed to be the best area in Seoul........ Gangnam style.

It is filthy and if you don't believe I am quite happy to post some pics.
Yeah, none of us have ever been to Gangnam  :rolleyes:

His posted photos.
https://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=79830.20

Dude apparently lived on the party street behind the CGV and Lotte Cinema when you come out of Exit 11. He tried to claim that "Gangnam is the best area". Manhattan is the best area of New York, but the Port Authority Bus Terminal is also in Manhattan. Gangnam is more than just Gangnam Station and "Living in Gangnam" is more than living in a shitty 1-room above an Aritaum behind the CGV.

Also, dude could have just told us he lives on the street behind the CGV. Gangnam isn't some exclusive zone that only the elite get into, but apparently he's under the impression that none of us have been there because it's so special.

And lastly, that isn't the craziest drunken orgy place ever. Dude makes it sound like he's in some insane hell-hole of drunken partying. He's just Gangnam, Exit 11.  Dude wasn't just slightly exaggerating, he was going full off and deserved the pushback.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 01:37:12 pm by Mr.DeMartino »