Read 427 times

• APH
  • Adventurer

• November 17, 2018, 12:32:33 pm
    • Seoul
What is it with Korean schools and changing the schedule?
« on: May 12, 2019, 01:08:20 pm »
One thing working in Korea has definitely taught me is to go with the flow more. I'm quite an organised person and I like to know what's going on so I can be prepared for it. However since arriving in Korea I've become much more used to things changing at the drop of a hat and that feeling of walking into work not 100% sure what you'll actually be doing that day. Initially it stressed me out but eventually I learnt that it's just how things are here. (It's still very annoying and stressful)

Being one of the foreign teachers I'm not privy to any conversations or meetings about changes going on at the school so we just find out when we're told and are expected to get on with it. Thankfully my manager is very nice so they are usually quite apologetic and understanding that it isn't ideal for teachers to have their schedules always changing, yet it still continues to happen with almost no explanation.

Does anyone know why they do it though? I've literally lost count of the amount of times the schedule has changed and I'm sure it's not just my school which does this. I'll even have my manager give me a new printed out version of the schedule and as they hand it to me, sit down and explain how it will potentially be changing in the near future "Ok so you have this class here but we think maybe next week it will be here so we'll move your class here to here and....." and now I just laugh.

(Also if anyone has any stories about this happening to them, do share, I love hearing about other people's experiences  :laugh:)

• cryssie.g
  • Newgookin

• June 24, 2018, 05:21:18 am
    • Changwon
    more
Re: What is it with Korean schools and changing the schedule?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 08:05:37 pm »
Yep, this is me. Something I still can't really stand but now, I'm more or less like "okay, whatever." Last minute changes, frequent changes are very common. I do love walking into class on a normal day with several new students added to my class without any prior notice. Hagwon life. Not sure how it is with public, but I just smile and just nod my head like a monkey with things like this.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Gouda cheese Be Best cheese
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 09:02:46 pm »
In my experience, schedule changes are one way of saying that you are way way down the pecking order. For instance, all full time teachers have 1 day off, the more seniority you have the more likely it is that that day is according to your preference. So, you are getting shafted by someone, royally might I add.  :azn:
Fiat voluntas tua- All that you want is allowed

• APH
  • Adventurer

• November 17, 2018, 12:32:33 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 12:20:11 am »
Fortunately that isnít the case. I mean that the entire academyís schedule keeps changing, not just mine.

Thankfully the schedule changes donít affect our actual work hours, theyíre always the same. All of the teachers classes just get swapped around. Even the students arenít sometimes sure where theyíre supposed to be going. I find it very strange.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 04:05:24 pm »
I have a theory about this...

The fact that last minute schedule changes bothers us all so much suggests that we actually care about doing a good job.  I know that it bothers me because I immediately think "I don't have any time to prepare decent material".  Sure I can wing it with some back up material but it's not going to be as strong as it could have been.

So seeing as last minute schedule changes are par for the course here might mean that in terms of preparing material for classes, the bar is really, really low in Korea.  Honestly, I've never seen my coworkers prepare anything that wasn't a pre-made worksheet from the teachers' guide.  So a schedule change for them doesn't really affect them in the same way it affects us.  When they suddenly change our schedules, perhaps they don't see it from our "material prep" point of view.

Just a rambling thought lol  ;D

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 07:54:34 am »

The fact that last minute schedule changes bothers us all so much suggests that we actually care about doing a good job.  I know that it bothers me because I immediately think "I don't have any time to prepare decent material".  Sure I can wing it with some back up material but it's not going to be as strong as it could have been.

So seeing as last minute schedule changes are par for the course here might mean that in terms of preparing material for classes, the bar is really, really low in Korea.  Honestly, I've never seen my coworkers prepare anything that wasn't a pre-made worksheet from the teachers' guide.  So a schedule change for them doesn't really affect them in the same way it affects us.  When they suddenly change our schedules, perhaps they don't see it from our "material prep" point of view.

You could also prepare it in advance. I prepare everything the week before, so if there is a last minute change, as long as I have time to print the materials before the class, it's no biggie :p

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 08:39:58 am »

You could also prepare it in advance. I prepare everything the week before, so if there is a last minute change, as long as I have time to print the materials before the class, it's no biggie :p

Yeah that's true and it's not like I'm leaving things to the last minute but...

Honestly the thing that triggered my post above was being told (at 4pm) that for the next two days I would be teaching "intensive" classes all day, every period.  There's no way I could have second guessed that and been fully prepared to teach 14 classes with no repeat material.  So I stand by the point I was making  :wink:

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2019, 09:12:28 am »

Yeah that's true and it's not like I'm leaving things to the last minute but...

Honestly the thing that triggered my post above was being told (at 4pm) that for the next two days I would be teaching "intensive" classes all day, every period.  There's no way I could have second guessed that and been fully prepared to teach 14 classes with no repeat material.  So I stand by the point I was making  :wink:

Extra work you don't normally do at last minute, I can understand the gripe with that. But regular classes being shuffled around shouldn't be an issue, IMO.