Read 4504 times

• cattato
  • Explorer

• January 16, 2019, 05:12:45 am
    • South Korea
Re: Coteacher conflict advice?
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2019, 02:10:51 pm »
Hi guys. Update on the situation. So everything would seem to be better now almost. All my teachers now are basically happy with my teaching and don't really bug me anymore not really. Except one teacher, she is my main problem now. She still really nitpicky about everything. I sent her 4 lesson plan formats and she hates every single one even the one I designed based off what she said and the ones from Epik. When I went to the DMOE and told them about her they didn't really give advice on how to deal with her.  She tries to be nice to me but when it's about teaching it's over things that don't matter. Like that a certain picture should be on the right side instead of the left.  Then today she told me she didn't like my classes because i didn't fix the ppt based on what she said. And so she gave me warning. I'm not sure what happens after I get three warnings from her? She's not my main coteacher and like I said everyone else is fine with my ppts and teaching now.  So her warnings seem... I dunno like an empty threat. She wants every class with her to be perfect. It stresses me out. I wish she would back off and just let me do things my way like how everyone else lets me do things my way to an extent. She wants me to be her and I'm not.  I'm just not.

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2019, 02:30:46 pm »
Well done you!
You were doing fine all along most likely, but this is just classic Korean ''bully the young intern'' culture. It is so ingrained it is always featured in all these kdramas soap operas. Just walk in there proudly and read up on how to teach, whenever you can.
Korean teachers know very little about scientific research.

knowledge is power
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

• lhelena
  • Adventurer

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2019, 03:15:55 pm »
Hi guys. Update on the situation. So everything would seem to be better now almost. All my teachers now are basically happy with my teaching and don't really bug me anymore not really. Except one teacher, she is my main problem now. She still really nitpicky about everything. I sent her 4 lesson plan formats and she hates every single one even the one I designed based off what she said and the ones from Epik. When I went to the DMOE and told them about her they didn't really give advice on how to deal with her.  She tries to be nice to me but when it's about teaching it's over things that don't matter. Like that a certain picture should be on the right side instead of the left.  Then today she told me she didn't like my classes because i didn't fix the ppt based on what she said. And so she gave me warning. I'm not sure what happens after I get three warnings from her? She's not my main coteacher and like I said everyone else is fine with my ppts and teaching now.  So her warnings seem... I dunno like an empty threat. She wants every class with her to be perfect. It stresses me out. I wish she would back off and just let me do things my way like how everyone else lets me do things my way to an extent. She wants me to be her and I'm not.  I'm just not.

I'm really glad things have gotten better for you. With that other teacher I'd say you're going to have to just do your best to not let it get to you. Maybe copy and paste one of her lesson plans into yours and see if she still complains lol

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2019, 07:36:17 am »
Sounds like the DMOE realizes the issue isn't just one sided. That co-t who is still being a witch sucks though. Not much you can do, but honestly at this point I'd say use the SNIP method mentioned above. The nitpicking is super annoying, I know. Just focus on being a good teacher to the kids and engage with them as much as possible, as a bonus this will upset the witch. :D

« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2019, 11:29:39 am »
Then today she told me she didn't like my classes because i didn't fix the ppt based on what she said. And so she gave me warning. I'm not sure what happens after I get three warnings from her? She's not my main coteacher and like I said everyone else is fine with my ppts and teaching now.  So her warnings seem... I dunno like an empty threat.

Wow, who dafuq does she think she is? That's some strong self-importance there. It sounds like she's just trying to bully you. It could be that she's got some serious control issues, too, but I doubt it's just that. She sounds insecure af, personally, and wants to make you dance for her.

Just SNIP, but cover your bases and make sure you're documenting and recording her harassment in case she starts making false claims about you. Don't let her get to you.

« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2019, 11:42:54 am »
'n poes is 'n poes

« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2019, 11:53:03 am »
I'm dealing with

I'm dealing with this right now, too. When I first got to my new school. The teacher pulled me aside and said I want you to watch how i do things and then at the end of the class she asked me if I could do it. I said I would try but I have my own style so I probably wont be doing things exactly like her. She did not like that. She has the students repeating the same dialogue for 20 minutes straight and has them writing in a weird way. When I don't do things her way she will tell me in class, what to do.

My advice, and what has worked for me so far.... be direct. I tried the polite way, but that just made her feel more superior and me taking a submissive role. So, i started being more direct and to the point. I said her style, while it works in class,  the students can't speak outside of the classroom because all they do it memorize a script. I told her, I'm here for a reason and I am not a new teacher. I have quite a bit of experience so I'm going to change the next lesson and do it in a different way. Don't ask for permission, don't say "Let's try this." Just straight out say. I'm going to do something different. If she stops you during class, then don't back down air your views on the matter too and without waiting for her useless crap, just carry on with your class. And then you can talk about it after.

Trust me. I've learnt my lesson in being the submissive teacher. They will eat you alive! Take control and fight her at every step and make sure you let them know who the native teacher is. If you have experience and success with a specific plan, then bring that up. Bring up your experience, and tell her you are not a new teacher, and while you are open to different methods, you also know what works and brings results and what doesn't. Be firm.

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

more
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2019, 12:35:34 pm »
She has the students repeating the same dialogue for 20 minutes straight

Reunification at last! Good to hear South Korean teachers are teaching like the Communist party dictated in the 1950s!  50 years of linguistic research and they're doing exactly what you shouldn't be doing: listen and repeat drills ;D ;D ;D

She's not alone, though it still makes my Korean expats class incredibly happy if I let them practise in that useless way.

1:12
Teacher: Yes, but little.
Student: Yes, but little.
Waeguks: ...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suO4Ih84TZs
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 12:49:48 pm by HappyPlanetAbuser »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2019, 12:46:05 pm »

Reunification at last! Good to hear South Korean teachers are teaching like the Communist party dictated in the 1950s! ;D

Yes, but little. :azn:

Man, I would gladly take a hefty pay cut if my elementary school kids would only just be this well behaved in class!

Also, I don't understand why there are so many foreign English teachers volunteering  to teach in North Korea. Why help the regime teach its children your language when 10 years down the line they're guaranteed to use those skills for government sponsored scams, espionage, propaganda, and cyber crimes? smh

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2019, 01:24:59 pm »

Reunification at last! Good to hear South Korean teachers are teaching like the Communist party dictated in the 1950s! ;D

Yes, but little. :azn:

Man, I would gladly take a hefty pay cut if my elementary school kids would only just be this well behaved in class!

Also, I don't understand why there are so many foreign English teachers volunteering  to teach in North Korea. Why help the regime teach its children your language when 10 years down the line they're guaranteed to use those skills for government sponsored scams, espionage, propaganda, and cyber crimes? smh

Guaranteed? Hardly. One of these kids could very well be a bridge to the West. Look at the changes in just the last year. NK and US President are exchanging love letters!!! 

• cattato
  • Explorer

• January 16, 2019, 05:12:45 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2019, 05:49:45 pm »
I don't know how to reply to individual ppl on here lol.  But I see being direct is what's said a lot. My problem is I am afraid I might say something rude. And I don't wanna make things worse. Everything I want to say is purely out of anger and frustration.  I want her to leave me excuse my language the **** alone. And do her job and help me in class when it's appropriate. Not complain about me and get angry but actually help me so I can be better not complain when I didn't do a good job. Teaching 3rd graders is hard for me and she could care less she only cares about the PPT and organization. I want to cry. She reported me to the vice principal  today because of the classes she hated yesterday. My vice principal went to watch one of my classes today to see what she's talking about. But I heard her reexplaining herself out side of the door to the  vice principal. So I think the principal was confused cause she didn't see anything wrong with my teaching. But she made it a point to tell me "the vice principal knows what you did." Y'all are right I am being bullied. But I dunno what I should like say to get her to stop picking on me with out sounding angry and just plain rude. Cause I shouldn't be dealing with a 40 year old lady acting like 5 year old just because I don't do things her way. And I'm still new. I don't care I am still new.

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

more
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2019, 06:32:39 pm »
What should I do?

Read lots of research https://www.scribd.com/doc/223936262/Second-Language-Learning-Theories-Mitchell-Myles then quote the research then create a short lessonplan in 5-6 phases in which you refer to that research and mention Teacher's tasks and  Students tasks. Send that to vp and principal to show that you know orthopedagogy.
Include games from fellow waegukians here.

https://www.instructables.com/id/A-Teachers-Guide-to-Direct-Instruction-2/

Build your lesson plan following this DI - phase model:
1 activate prior knowledge. videos/pictures  (This is my friend, what does he look like?)
2 The teacher models the concept- state lesson goals (After this lesson you guys can describe your friends.)
3 The teacher and students practice the concept together.
4 The teacher calls on individual students (checking on lesson targets)
5 Students independently complete an activity (What happens with their work afterwards?)
6 Repeat lesson goals/ concepts (You now can talk about your friends, what did you learn? And you? And you?
7 Closing+ (What will you remember from todays class?) Thank the class+ individual compliments
8 Optional= link to next class

Phase 5 should take at least 30-40 min.
need help? Ask us!  :azn:

And this proves that repeating sentence structures like Koreans do, does not increase L2:

« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 04:23:37 am by HappyPlanetAbuser »