Read 4217 times

• LIC
  • Veteran

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
Re: Coteacher conflict advice?
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2019, 02:43:59 pm »
A lot of jive advice here. What you need to do is the next time she gets in your face, GET IN HERS! Scream at her. Tell her that her work is useless crap. Tell the assembled masses that you're not staying at their crap school after the contract and you'll call or write to the local office of education every stinking single day to complain about freaking everything.

Then, get out of Korea and go to a country with actual polite people who want you around.

• lhelena
  • Adventurer

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2019, 03:18:47 pm »
A lot of jive advice here. What you need to do is the next time she gets in your face, GET IN HERS! Scream at her. Tell her that her work is useless crap. Tell the assembled masses that you're not staying at their crap school after the contract and you'll call or write to the local office of education every stinking single day to complain about freaking everything.

Then, get out of Korea and go to a country with actual polite people who want you around.

Okay, as obvious of a bad idea most of this post is and I hope you were mostly joking. I do agree with telling them you will be filing a formal complaint with the MOE about their behavior towards you and treatment, BUT only when it's time to tell them you won't be renewing. (Although at this point I don't think they need to be told lol)

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2019, 12:04:12 am »
Debbiem89 spake truthfully, she did.
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2019, 09:36:12 am »
O.P., it seems like they are going to try and get out of there, one way or the other.  You can either grant their wish and move on, or, fight it....and make yourself miserable. 

Do you REALLY WANT to stay there?  Is it worth it?  Do you honestly envision a turnaround from the status quo? 

Either way...don't be  sugar cookie.  If you stay there, you better stand up for yourself,  whist being prepared to take passive aggressive, cowardly, incoming fire from the Koreans.   Sure, the idea of "character development" does have its place...but your health, focus and enjoyment of being abroad are more important

By they way...workers do have the right not to experience harassment and bullying at work.  Perhaps an online petition to the Ministry of Labor would be a nice jab at them (that is, if you don't see yourself staying)?

Keep us informed. 

• LIC
  • Veteran

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2019, 02:22:44 pm »

Okay, as obvious of a bad idea most of this post is and I hope you were mostly joking. I do agree with telling them you will be filing a formal complaint with the MOE about their behavior towards you and treatment, BUT only when it's time to tell them you won't be renewing. (Although at this point I don't think they need to be told lol)

Yeah... was mostly BS'ing. However, when I first arrived and got the inevitable question, "How long will you stay?" I answered, "As long as I am happy and treated with respect. As soon as I feel I am being disrespected without justification, I will quit and walk away."

I set the bar and I had several years at the same school of ease, fun and laughs.

« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2019, 04:18:06 pm »
Yeah... was mostly BS'ing. However, when I first arrived and got the inevitable question, "How long will you stay?" I answered, "As long as I am happy and treated with respect. As soon as I feel I am being disrespected without justification, I will quit and walk away."

I set the bar and I had several years at the same school of ease, fun and laughs.

While I think it's great that you didn't have any problems at your school...I just can't imagine saying that to anyone during a first meeting.  Don't you think that's quite a negative thing to kick off with?  You said it in a jokey way I assume?

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2019, 03:12:47 am »
You are most definitely "on your own" that is the case with ALL public school jobs and I'm not just referring to being literally the only foreigner in the school. 

I worked two regular public schools and also did two after school jobs.

After-school gigs are the worst out there. They are the most isolating, lonely and frustrating positions in Korean ESL. They take all the disadvantages of a regular Public school job and multiply them by a factor of a million.

Regular public school jobs depend on your Co-T. They can be nice, but there is also a high incidence of Co-T's who bully, demean, undermine and even sabotage  the FT. So then your year becomes a contest of mind games with a resentful someone who holds all the cards.
Catch my drift?

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2019, 08:35:45 am »

While I think it's great that you didn't have any problems at your school...I just can't imagine saying that to anyone during a first meeting.  Don't you think that's quite a negative thing to kick off with?  You said it in a jokey way I assume?

...well, seems to have worked.  I don't think it is a negative thing.  Picking your spot in the ring is not bad choice. 

• LIC
  • Veteran

• NE Hemisphere
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2019, 10:27:24 am »

...well, seems to have worked.  I don't think it is a negative thing.  Picking your spot in the ring is not bad choice. 

The message is all in the delivery. That's what separates famous comedians from the creepy guy in the cubicle next to you who says the same thing. I was very professional and light-hearted about it.

Having said that and knowing Korea, it's hierarchical nature, and Koreans and their feelings towards personal appearances, I am quite sure that it helped that upon my arrival I was wearing a nice suit, was clean-shaven (I shaved again on the airplane prior to landing), I was in my mid-40's and was not fat and dare I humbly admit, I am quite handsome. I know that sounds terribly egotistical, but I am handsome, that's it. False pride was ever one of my strong suits.

On the flight over I read "Culture Shock: Korea" and learned a handful of very basic phrases. I tried them out with my co-teacher in the restaurant and asked her help with pronunciation etc.  That book saved me some potential hassles throughout my time there.
It was invaluable. I would recommend everyone read it.

It's so easy to get along there-anywhere- if you know the game. And life is just a game isn't it?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #69 on: May 19, 2019, 01:58:23 pm »
I humbly admit, I am quite handsome. I know that sounds terribly egotistical, but I am handsome, that's it. False pride was ever one of my strong suits.

maybe we should be the ones to determine that. post a pic so we can can see!

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2019, 04:23:55 pm »
I got hired at a prestigious school not for my looks, but for my skills. I don't think 'good looks' do nor should matter in education. It might even hinder your successful application.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:25:49 pm by SanderB »
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2019, 04:40:58 pm »
Sounds ok then LIC.

For a minute there you were sounding dangerously close to Steve Schertzer who, admittedly, seemslike an absolute sociopath.

« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2019, 06:46:46 am »
  Giving a  gift and showing that you are cooperative and willing to improve but not caving in will help enormously. If you smile when you give the gift and also say to the co-teacher "thank you for taking the trouble to help me," it might soften her towards you. Nothing is guaranteed. But it should help. Constant gift-giving is not required, but a gesture should help. The guy/girl who suggested that you proof-reed the co-teacher's work is very shrewd and wise. They understand that if you can do that, you will gain their respect, see that you are responsible and hardworking and so on. It also will let you put one over on them. You will be someone they turn to for advice, something you will meekly give, and you'll get respect.
   When I was teaching in the public sector in Korea, it was in 3 Industrial High Schools. Quite a few classes were really positive and appreciative, but some classes were like classes in a rough inner-city school in the US or UK. but with additional problems. Also, my main co-teacher had significant problems with English, which some teachers of Korean teased him about (sorry Mr. Lee), and most co-teachers tended not to appear in my classes. People have told me that this tendency to skip away may have indicated that they knew I was a trustworthy and good teacher, and did not need my help. Okay. But so why did I fail my evaluation with it's pass mark of 90%?
   I mention this to show that there are worse public schools.
The good news is that if EPIK fires you or just blocks you after one yeaar, you can still work in other places: hagwons, or in elementary/middle/high schools that are not public.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2019, 11:59:04 am »
Okay. But so why did I fail my evaluation with it's pass mark of 90%?
Are you talking the end of contract evaluation? Because, I don't think the 90% is the cutoff, I've always gotten under that and have been rehired all the time.

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2019, 07:36:46 am »
Sounds ok then LIC.

For a minute there you were sounding dangerously close to Steve Schertzer who, admittedly, seemslike an absolute sociopath.

Wow, never saw that ... teacher ... before!

I may not know a lot about teaching, but I know this: anyone who has to write on the board "I own the room," will probably never own the room.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2019, 07:43:59 am »
Are you talking the end of contract evaluation? Because, I don't think the 90% is the cutoff, I've always gotten under that and have been rehired all the time.

When I first started teaching in Korea in the public school system, under my first MOE/POE, the minimum evaluation score NETs had to get in order to renew at the same school was 80%. But by my 3rd year, they had raised it up to 85%. That was years ago, though -- I haven't worked in the Korean public school system in a while, so things may have changed since then. Also, it (the minimum evaluation score needed to renew at the same school) could also depend on the MOE/POE.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2019, 08:13:55 am »
These days, isn't it something like 70% to be rehired, 80% to transfer, (or 80% / 90%)

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2019, 08:42:22 am »
These days, isn't it something like 70% to be rehired, 80% to transfer, (or 80% / 90%)

As I said, I think it can vary/depend on the MOE/POE. I know at my first MOE/POE, it used to be 80% to be able to renew at the same school (when I first started) and then it got raised up to 85% a couple of years later, because I was told that directly by the English coordinator at my first MOE/POE.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2019, 09:14:45 am »
this number is meaningless anyway. if the school wants you to stay, they'll give you a passing mark. if they don't, they'll fail you. it's basically just a popularity contest

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2019, 03:01:53 pm »
this number is meaningless anyway. if the school wants you to stay, they'll give you a passing mark. if they don't, they'll fail you. it's basically just a popularity contest
So true. If all your CT's like you, or at least the most senior of your CT's does, your 99% going to be renewed. Might be a rare situation that the principal, or vp, or head teacher over-rules your CT's approval of you, but that's extremely rare.

It' pretty much random who evaluates you, usually it's like your VP, one or more of your CT's, and sometimes some random 3rd party teacher often the head teacher. I've had teachers that I've never even talked to, fill out my evaluation form. Probably whoever is in the office at the time.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 03:05:10 pm by pkjh »