Read 441 times

• Nokcha
  • Super Waygook

• August 22, 2012, 02:37:27 pm
    • Seoul
Do you have any contact with parents
« on: May 08, 2019, 07:25:30 am »
I'm curious about how much parent contact NETS have with parents. I have no parent contact in my public school other than the occasional hello when I see them in the corridors.

How about others? And, if you do, is it generally positive? negative? I hear an a lot about how crazy Korean parents are but I've not actually ever seen it in action. I was a teacher at a private school in the states, so I know how crazy parents can be (as well as supportive).

If you comment, would also mention what your teaching situation is. Hagwon, private school, international school, public school.

Thanks!

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
Re: Do you have any contact with parents
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 07:39:31 am »
Public school- I only usually see parents on special days i.e. graduation, opening ceremony, open classes, etc. It is usually just a pleasant hello. A few parents have decent English, so they may chat but not always. One time a parent thanked me because her son said I was his favorite teacher, only happened once though :)

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 07:40:33 am »
in all my time here, I've only had good, positive contact with parents and that is working in the countryside elementary, middle and high schools.  one farming family used to give me lift up the road, about a kilometre, to the middle school I worked in, as I taught their oldest daughter, son and now youngest daughter through elementary, middle and high school and I've always met them at their child's graduation.  Really nice family. 

i think there is a big difference between the parent's behaviour with us than with the Korean teachers.  last week, a middle school asked me to interview some prospective students for a camp in New Zealand in the summer, because the parents complained last year that the Korean teacher's English was not good enough to judge their little darling.  so this year, they asked me as the parents would not be complaining about a native teacher judging their child's English. 

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 09:34:37 am »
No, and I rarely see them. Whenever I do, they either try to avoid interacting with me (like they pull an "Oh, shit" kind of maneuver and do what they can to avoid having to speak to me), or we just kind of greet each other and that's it. I've never had a true negative experience with a parent.

I did have a parent thank me once, though, when one of my more extroverted students saw me running around in an Emart and dragged me over to introduce me to her mom. She was a good kid, and her mom seemed really nice, too.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 09:42:18 am »
Public school - one of my students, and her parents, lives in the apartment room right above me, so I see the student and her mum often. There is issues with her father. but I think I've seen him once.
I see a few of my students parents around town as well, it's a really small town, they will usually stop me to say hello.

Other than that, I usually only see them on graduation day, and the entrance day (first day of school for the year).

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 09:45:00 am »
No, and I rarely see them. Whenever I do, they either try to avoid interacting with me (like they pull an "Oh, shit" kind of maneuver and do what they can to avoid having to speak to me), or we just kind of greet each other and that's it. I've never had a true negative experience with a parent.

I did have a parent thank me once, though, when one of my more extroverted students saw me running around in an Emart and dragged me over to introduce me to her mom. She was a good kid, and her mom seemed really nice, too.

I had that same thing happen in a home plus during my first year haha. One of my students was with her family in home plus, and saw me shopping, then dragged me over to her family to introduce me haha.
I chatted for around 5 mins or so, then they were ready to pay for their items :p

• LIC
  • Veteran

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 11:46:15 am »
In all the years I spent in Korea I never met a single parent and that suited my just fine.