Read 512 times

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
Mass extinction
« on: May 07, 2019, 04:12:25 am »
It could be a scary future indeed, with as many as 30 to 50 percent of all species possibly heading toward extinction by mid-century...In another report published six months ago, the U.N. also warned that the world had about 12 years left to address catastrophic global warming or face a point of no return.

Wtf! Stop trying to tell me to save the planet. Let me just burn dead trees in peace. :azn:

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/qv7kxm/this-is-how-fast-were-killing-the-planet-according-to-the-un

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJnwZpyAxvY
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 04:19:34 am by SanderB »
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
Re: Mass extinction
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 07:37:33 am »
Absolute dickheads.
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

• LIC
  • Veteran

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 05:06:18 pm »
I don't believe humans are capable of destroying this planet. Humanity is a brief pestilence on the 3rd rock from the sun and will die out becoming extinct billions of years before the sun goes nova.

Don't worry!

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 06:11:38 pm »
I don't believe humans are capable of destroying this planet. Humanity is a brief pestilence on the 3rd rock from the sun and will die out becoming extinct billions of years before the sun goes nova.

Don't worry!

Brief pestilence?
We're an itchy throat for the Earth, at best/worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 07:56:47 am »
Absolute dickheads.
I agree. Every side has it's assholes, and these are the assholes that support Trump. They're the reverse of Triggly-Puff. And at least Triggly-Puff doesn't dump pollutants.

That being said, people do get overly dramatic with some environmental claims. At the same time, there's no reason for the right to completely drag its feet and deny the issue either.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 09:10:39 am »
We probably won't be able to kill the Earth any time soon, true, but I think some people are taking the catch phrase "Save the Earth!" a bit too literally.

Groups like the WWF, Greenpeace etc aren't doing what they do to "Save the Earth", or even to save all the fuzzy-wuzzies (as much as they'd like to) because the former doesn't need saving, and its pretty clear that it's already to late for the latter. The point of their activism is to preserve what can be saved so that generations down the line don't have to scrabble through our garbage in post-apocalyptic waste-lands.

Ocean acidification will sort itself out in a few eons, or strike a new balance which new species will adapt to. Global deforestation has happened before, and given enough time, it'll grow back. Atmospheric CO2 has been orders of magnitude higher in the past, and will eventually find equilibrium again. The difference is that humans weren't around then. By changing the parameters of our global environment we're straight up murdering our children, and so many of us who are in positions to do something about it can't be arsed because it's a bother to carry your own cloth bag to the store or whatever.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:24:02 am by kyndo »

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 10:20:05 am »
I do love on how one of the recent BBC Attenborough specials they showed the plight of the poor polar bear not getting enough to eat because of the ice...and then a seal getting gobbled up by a polar bear because the ice was so thin. This was followed by walruses falling off cliffs on an overcrowded island due to temperature change...only to be scavenged by a polar bear.

Look, I understand the anecdotal nature of this and how it doesn't really describe the problem, but boy, you'd think someone would notice that before they strung together the narrative. I'm all for saving endangered species, cleaning up our oceans, stricter pollution laws, cleaner air, not bulldozing rainforests and marshes, etc. But if the species in question has such finite tolerances that a 1-2 degree shift in temperature kills it, it's probably not long for this world anyways.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2019, 10:28:39 am »
But if the species in question has such finite tolerances that a 1-2 degree shift in temperature kills it, it's probably not long for this world anyways.
Correctly if I'm wrong, but if all our major cities suddenly turned to open ocean, we probably wouldn't do too well either.

Guess we'll find out soon enough, right?   :smiley:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 10:32:07 am by kyndo »

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2019, 10:42:32 am »
How about Al Gore's predictions? Doesn't seem like they were very accurate. I would probably say the same with these other predictions. The UN will receive the carbon taxes. It is in their interest to create scary climate reports.

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2019, 10:59:47 am »
Meh, the Cretaceous was what, 10 degrees hotter. The Eocene 14 degrees. It would have to be 12 degrees hotter than present to melt all the glaciers, in which case, just move to Antarctica or Greenland.

Aren't the global warming projections at MOST +5 degrees? A massive problem to be sure, and one we should avoid, but it's not going to be global doom and gloom.

No the problem with climate change is the regional doom and gloom. Large swaths of Africa and Asia would become bone dry and the wars and unrest that would erupt could be catastrophic. The breadbasket of America would be devastated, same with Mexico and probable parts of South America. I can't imagine what would happen to parts of Australia. Yes, in theory we could simply migrate to the now lush lands of Russia and Canada, but I'm not really sure if that's realistic in terms of human society in the 21st century.

So on the one hand, we're perfectly fine overall.  On the other, we're really effed in certain areas and the instability that erupts could lead to things like, I dunno, nuclear war.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2019, 11:23:40 am »
Meh, the Cretaceous was what, 10 degrees hotter. The Eocene 14 degrees. It would have to be 12 degrees hotter than present to melt all the glaciers, in which case, just move to Antarctica or Greenland.

Aren't the global warming projections at MOST +5 degrees? A massive problem to be sure, and one we should avoid, but it's not going to be global doom and gloom.

No the problem with climate change is the regional doom and gloom. Large swaths of Africa and Asia would become bone dry and the wars and unrest that would erupt could be catastrophic. The breadbasket of America would be devastated, same with Mexico and probable parts of South America. I can't imagine what would happen to parts of Australia. Yes, in theory we could simply migrate to the now lush lands of Russia and Canada, but I'm not really sure if that's realistic in terms of human society in the 21st century.

So on the one hand, we're perfectly fine overall.  On the other, we're really effed in certain areas and the instability that erupts could lead to things like, I dunno, nuclear war.

Global sea levels are predicted to rise about 2.3 metres per increase in global average temperature (this is obviously an incredibly rough estimate considering all the variables that come into play).
Approximately 600 million people live less than 10 meters above current sea level.
So a four degree increase will force, at an absolute minimum, around 10% of global human population. This'll cause a tussle or two!
Oh, and that 4 degree benchmark is predicted to occur in about 60 years.
https://www.greenfacts.org/en/impacts-global-warming/l-2/index.htm

TL;DR: invest in a dacha situated in a rustic village nestled in the Ural mountains. Your spawn will thank you for it.  :wink:

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2019, 03:41:49 pm »
Come over to the dark side Kyndo. It's much more relaxing over here, not having to rack your brain over all the weird ideology and nonsensical policies in Hillary's emails. Hell, I must have stopped using my brain altogether once I joined the Republican right wing viewpoints. And bless them, I was so afraid of having to undergo an abortion as a middle-aged balding man but I can finally sleep at night again knowing Brett's got this one for  me.

Burn that oil!
And gimme moar of it.
No colours anymore  I want the North Pole to turn black!

« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 03:49:12 pm by SanderB »
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 09:59:40 am »
How about Al Gore's predictions? Doesn't seem like they were very accurate. I would probably say the same with these other predictions. The UN will receive the carbon taxes. It is in their interest to create scary climate reports.
Carbon taxes are supposed to be revenue neutral. They *are* neutral. No government would ever dream of corrupting or subverting such a pure, beautiful, idealistic tax.  >:(

Also: