Read 258 times

• tomoakleaf
  • Veteran

• September 22, 2012, 03:38:47 pm
    • South Korea
Getting a job 10 years ago
« on: May 06, 2019, 11:03:59 am »
It has been ten years since I had my interview for a job in Korea.  As I remember, one of the most important historical events at that time was that Barack Obama had won the election.  It had been an interesting 5 years in technology and Facebook was the new king of social media.  Buying music still meant that you would order a cd album from amazon.  I also managed to sell books easily on the site. 

I saw the advert for the job online and at first I didnít know if it was real.  However, I did some research online and realized that everything was honest so I applied.  I sent my application through the Government website and within a few days I received an email about my interview date.  If you applied then it was perfectly fine to just have a telephone interview.

I told the company that 12:00 would be the best time to speak to me.  I went to bed a few days later and at midnight there was a telephone call but I ignored it and the next day I got an email informing me that I hadnít been successful in the interview but then I realized that they called me at the wrong 12:00 I wanted.

In any case, I simply applied to another company and set up another interview.  I made sure to take into account the time difference this time.  When it came for the telephone call I waited in front of it until it rang.

I had done a little research about Korea, a country that I had heard very little about. Mostly I watched YouTube videos to find out what the program was about. At that time, I was more aware of LG as a brand but I thought it was Chinese.  I think I had heard of Samsung but it really was not as big as it is today.  The most important message that I wanted to convey was that I was really keen on living and working in Asia.

The interview at that time was simply a friendly chat and there was no live video feed.  Some of the questions included Ďwhy would you like to work in Korea, what do you do when you feel some stress?í I told them that Korea has such a long history and that there is so much to learn about the culture and itís exciting to live in Asia.  As far as relaxing, I was fascinated to experience a Korean sauna.  After thirty minutes of talking the interview finished and I went back to work.  The interview did not include any questions about teaching and very little was expected at that time.  I didnít even submit a lesson plan as that was introduced later on.

So thatís the way interviews were conducted then. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 05:55:18 am by tomoakleaf »

Re: Ten years in ESL
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2019, 08:28:49 pm »
thanks for sharing. Did you try again in Japan? Have you been back to France since? I take it this is your prologue

• tomoakleaf
  • Veteran

• September 22, 2012, 03:38:47 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Ten years in ESL
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2019, 08:45:46 pm »
Hahaha, itís just something I wrote up 30 minutes before my class today.  I donít want to continue writing if people arenít interested.