Read 1518 times

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
Worst manager you ever had?
« on: May 04, 2019, 05:34:16 pm »
Just interested to hear your story.

Whats the worst school manager you ever had in Korea?

Mine was a short little man with a grudge. The owner was retired, lazy, and couldn't be bothered to take an interest in the running of the hogwon, so she hired a manager- basically a confidence man. She fell for his egotistical patter. He was of the Park Chung Hee generation and had no love for foreigners.

He tore into the place like a whirlwind. His genius idea (which he thought was completely original), was to replace dark haired people with blondes, and men with females if possible. Within a few months he had fired 2/3rds of the staff. Experienced and qualified teachers with esl qualifications were replaced with 20 yr old grads - or even people who had not yet graduated but had blue eyes. Anyone who did not put up with his bullying was given a warning for trumped up reasons. He was unapproachable: one was made to look stupid for asking genuine questions. This saved him having to do any work or revealing that he didn't actually know the answers. He put out flyers with pictures of Scandinavian teachers and students downloaded from the internet. He made the most inept teacher into the supervisor because she was a sycophant who kowtowed. Upon assuming this heady responsibility, she transformed into a yelling dictator overnight.

He re-organized the classrooms unnecessarily. Tore down all the pictures, repainted everything, giving the illusion of improvement. He banned teachers from doing anything that worked, including playing games or activities. He also banned teachers from disciplining students in any way. Even raising your voice to a student became a no-no. He was also ageist and replaced anyone over 35 with fresh young bunnies, never mind that he was an ajosshi of 50 years of age himself, had already been shelved from his govt school job, and lived in fear of retrenchment. 

After about 8 months however the owner suddenly fell out with him and let him go with a few days notice. I later heard that she'd sold the school at a loss.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 01:33:08 am by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Worst manager you ever had?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 10:17:50 am »
last year

wouldn't provide me with basics, such as my own textbook. i couldn't plan anything as i had no idea what we were doing before class, so had to check the students' books during class, and make up the class on the spot.

wasn't provided with board markers or paper, either. then he complained it was my fault for not "teaching properly"

also refused to pay my wages on time, so i had to file complaints with the MOEL a few times

i refused to quit, but basically gave up, and was actually waiting for be fired. i just let the students have "free time" for the last 4-5 months (let them do whatever, as long as it wasn't dangerous), and spent my time on the computer, planning classes for my other jobs. lots of students dropped out. i hope the business lost lots of money.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 06:56:29 am »
  Oh Oglop,
                        Were you the one at fault?  :evil: Seriously, though, I thought that that kind of totally unprofessional hagwon was being phased out!
 My first ever job in Korea was at Mickey Mouse American English! They  :cry: didn't actually have a programme for the foreign teacher. It was just the bare textbook, and you couldn't usually count on it, even to inspire games. I was expected to provide a lot of core materials, not just supplementary stuff. He had a detailed grammar course in Korean, but that was all. I was just decoration.
 In fact, I'd have to provide LOTS of my own material, and I couldn't use the computer at school to find stuff online, because the boss was always on it. I was new and got no support.

The boss was really nice outside of school. he invited me to his sister's wedding, brought me kimchi from his wife, and introduced me to the foreign community.
But on day one, he told me all the previous foreign teachers at his school "had broken their contracts." He had had to take back their flight money etc. and it was on them. He treated me the same way.

I can't say he's the very worst-I had a worse summer camp boss once-but it is pretty crappy to be expected to teach 30 teaching hours with almost no material or resources,

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 06:50:37 am »
"He was an ajossi of 50 years of age" correction-he was an ajossi of 65 or 75 years of age." Judging from his mentality, he must have been. Oh, and Park Geun-hye was innocent. No Choi Sun-shil.

• Colette28
  • Newgookin

• November 28, 2011, 09:54:11 pm
    • Masan, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 09:26:55 pm »
Miss Inhu Jeong of Well Top English Academy in Innovation City in Naju and her other Hagwon that has since closed, Young Gang part of the Young Gang Church in Naju.
Please avoid taking a job in Naju with this woman! I would hate for any teacher to come and experience what I had - and I had my family with me at the time.
I was paid late the entire time, she never got us Health Insurance but pathologically lied to my face about how documents were submitted. I had to set up my own banking and cellphone things which is okay since I've lived in Korea before but for a newbie that would be stressful. The apartment was in a disgusting state when I arrived but then most are past from one foreigner to the next I've heard. I was forced to work the moment I stepped off the KTX and she broke contract immediately by forcing me to work 5 days before my contract start date, knowing full well I had to care for my daughter and get her into a day care and get her settled before starting work.
We never had staff meetings and for months we didn't have office supplies nor student textbooks - so I had to create my own lessons and buy my own supplies.
She stole my lesson plans and denied it without first asking for my notes so I could make copies.
My poor co-teacher that came after me, never been to Korea, had no proper heating or furniture in her place that was surrounded by bars and restaurants - like a tin container - she worked a lot more overtime than me and was never paid nor paid on time either.Miss Jeong also took money for her "for utilities" without showing any bills. Neither of our housing was paid on time and we got a lot of demand notices on our doors.
Last minute instructions, last minute overall communication. A very negative and sad work place. The agency VOU tried to help us but really did nothing in our favour in terms of trying to find us alternative jobs or ensure we were treated properly and paid fairly.
I was called in 3 months before the end of my contract and told she couldn't pay me any longer, ended my contract with a month's notice but actually told me to be out the apartment in a week -with my chid and husband, and we would stay in the broken tin shack of a house until the month was over!
I fought tooth and nail, recorded all conversations and threatened with legal action to get a proper severance and pay out for cancelling my contract - I should've fought for more! And we left Korea within two weeks of her letting me go. We had created a home in the 10months of living there and had to move in a week! I don't wish that on anyone! BUT I fear that Koreans believe anything should be done quickly, last minute and no complaints.
I would hate for anyone to have to fight for their money, fight for contract obligations and live and work under such stressful conditions. And as a foreigner you are at their mercy it seems.
I now want to just say to others - avoid hagwons - spend the time in researching and applying for government teaching jobs! I thought I went in eyes wide open and I was blindsided by this woman! She met her match with me though because I knew my stuff and probably let me go early because she knew she couldn't bullsh*t me any longer but a newbie would be eaten alive by her - she's a snake.

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 09:52:42 am »
How incredibly saddening to read the hardships you had to go through! Hopefully you are in better circumstances now.
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 02:16:34 pm »
My three hakwon years were as followed

First year here: Fresh off the plane, thrown into a class.  No direction give.  Spoke shotty English but tried,  Wife who ran the show spoke no English but was an overall sweetheart.  He eventually stopped showing up to campus and let his sweetheart wife run the show.  Overall, they were decent people but they doubted me and I don't blame them.  I was kind of a party animal but I did show up to work on time and perform to the best of my ability as a C+ teacher. 

When I came back I worked for a guy who was obessed with Steve Jobs and had his crew of fridged women crack the whip on his staff.  He didn't care about the kids or the parents he just cared about the money we brought in.  Made racist comments about people who weren't fair skinned European (Italians are greasy, his words)   and the ice b**** that was his Korean assistant director made homophobic remarks constantly about Korean men.   Not sure why she hated Korean men so much considering her foreign husband looked like a stooge.  (Sure BTS looks "gay" but your husband looks like he bites his own toenails and spits them across the room....UMMM OKAY)  Constantly changed plans, blamed EVERYTHING ON THE FOREIGN TEACHERS, whatever ridiculous demands the parents had they accommodated them.   We weren't allowed to discipline the kids.  Constantly telling us how teachers they had in the past would perform and why can't we perform like so and so teacher.  Would praise other Native teachers and tells us in the office "I THINK SOME OF YOU (ME) could Learn from XYZ teacher"  (Luckily for me, the crew I worked with all knew about their scams and weren't following for it)  Had us shadow teachers that didn't bring anything different than what you brought to the classroom, other than they were blonde.   I could go on and on but let's just say I was very pleased to hear karma caught up with that place as they started losing students and had terrible "Give zero F"s NETs after I left that cause the director to lose his damn mind.  8)

The last hakwon I worked for, the woman was just doing it as a side gig and didn't really care about you or the hakwon.  But she was pleasant enough till I bounced.  Not going to rag her too much as she helped me to get into public so we straight. 

I currently work for two principals that are NORMAL HUMAN BEINGS AND THEY LET ME LIVE MY LIFE.  I NO LONGER CRY BEFORE COMING INTO WORK EVERYDAY  8)   SO THAT'S A PLUS
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 02:24:47 pm by Piggydee »

• AWVM_HXE
  • Adventurer

• June 15, 2016, 06:07:37 pm
    • Asia-Pacific Region
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 03:40:19 pm »
A (female) school supervisor I worked for in Tokyo once wrote me a three-page letter detailing every single one of my faults. Actually, only two of my faults: my left boob and my right one. See, they are "too big for [me] to be around children" and the letter went on lambasting me for daring to have grown breasts at any point in my life, because obviously big boobs equal loose morals, and the proof of this was that one time I wore a new shirt and it was slightly revealing and I said "oops" and put my damn sweater over it. No harm no foul.

The really fucked-up thing was that she wrote the whole meshugas on Baby Minnie Mouse stationery.

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 04:30:13 pm »
Omg. What a ridiculous bunch of hakwon owners!

Would praise other Native teachers and tells us in the office "I THINK SOME OF YOU (ME) could Learn from XYZ teacher
I'm learning from this, cause I do that, too... :cry:

"too big for [me] to be around children"
Wow, where in the world has that ever been an obstacle to teaching kids?
Who's ready for another 4 years of Trump 2020!

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 08:09:12 am »
A (female) school supervisor I worked for in Tokyo once wrote me a three-page letter detailing every single one of my faults. Actually, only two of my faults: my left boob and my right one. See, they are "too big for [me] to be around children" and the letter went on lambasting me for daring to have grown breasts at any point in my life, because obviously big boobs equal loose morals, and the proof of this was that one time I wore a new shirt and it was slightly revealing and I said "oops" and put my damn sweater over it. No harm no foul.

The really fucked-up thing was that she wrote the whole meshugas on Baby Minnie Mouse stationery.

She was obviously jealous

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 08:57:56 am »
Not a manager, but a CT/school and this happened to someone I know.

After orientation, she'd been placed at this rural public school and straight off the bat they wanted her to teach... wait for it... 30 classes a week with NO overtime!  She's the most honest and gentle person I know and was bullied into doing it. Whenever concern was raised, the old "Oh, (NET before) you did it and she knows the school struggles with money so she didn't accept overtime, she loves our students. Don't you?" The person I knew had extremely limited supplies. The only time she could access a computer was to ask her CT to let her use it for a few minutes, while the CT stood over her and grumbled. She didn't even have a desk and had to use one of the student's desks. The school certainly had money for a massive AstroTurf field, regular teacher dinners and lording the aircon at 30 degrees (in Winter) in the staff room. She was even bullied into "free talk" with the students during LUNCH TIME! This wasn't counted as teaching hours and she had to race through her lunch within 15min before "chatting" with the students in the classroom. The CT would lie constantly about overtime, responsibilities  and the previous NET. We got in touch with the previous NET and learned that the CT had done the same to her and it was essentially the CT putting 80% of her workload onto the NET, while the CT pretended to by "busy", but actually sat in the tea room watching dramas and chatting (CT was never in class). Unsurprisingly, there were rumours of embezzlement at the school.

Luckily, we got her transferred out of that sh*thole after 6 months.

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 08:21:38 am »
For me, it was the produce manager I worked for, after the good one quit.  Back, when I was working in a supermarket during university.
I worked the sunday night shift, and on Monday morning, anything that went wrong on Sunday was blamed on me. When that manager took over, she moved her sunday morning shift to saturday, and hired some dude for sunday morning. The dude was lazy and useless. A 5 minute job would take him about an hour and 30 minutes.
My manager's bosses were often at work on sunday, and once I started complaining to them about being blamed for everything, they started watching me, and pretty quickly realised, I wasn't the problem.

Another was the boss who told me to go kill myself because he thought I was useless (he hated all male employees, and was constantly getting complained about by women, for sexual harassment). He eventually got fired for stealing a pie and getting caught lol.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 09:00:00 am »
I worked at GEOS (a very large hagwon chain that has since gone kaput) for quite some time in northern Japan. I was in a very small branch school in a small city out in the middle of the Japanese Alps (Matsumoto: fantastic hiking, cycling, and skiing trails everywhere, gorgeous castles, and an all-round great place to live!).
   The manager there was awesome: she spoke great English, introduced me to all her friends, hung out after work etc etc, but unfortunately the big corporations treat young female managers like dirt, so she found a job in Australia and bounced (I still get post cards from her 13 years later lol).

So of course the school got a new manager, she was treated like garbage and left after a month or 2. Same for the next.
At which point, word must've gotten around that working as a manager at the school sucked, because for the next two or three months, there was *no* manager.
As the only employee there, I had to open and close shop, as well as do all the forms for student renewals and such. And as they were all in Kanji, which I couldn't read, and because it was a lot of extra work that I was a bit bitter about, I let the parent do it all themselves and, I suspect, give themselves really good deals.  :laugh:

I did get paid a bit extra for it, and got a nice pat on the back at the next orientation thingy, but it was a huge pain.
   Although I do enjoy adding myself to the references page on my own résumé.  :laugh:

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 09:26:06 am »
The manager there was awesome: she spoke great English, introduced me to all her friends, hung out after work etc etc, but unfortunately the big corporations treat young female managers like dirt, so she found a job in Australia and bounced (I still get post cards from her 13 years later lol).

So of course the school got a new manager, she was treated like garbage and left after a month or 2. Same for the next.
At which point, word must've gotten around that working as a manager at the school sucked, because for the next two or three months, there was *no* manager.
Sounds like word for word the school I worked at in Japan. All the branch mangers were female between the ages of 25-40, all were worked like dogs and the attrition rate was terrible. They would also shuffle staff around for no reason. They would have to uproot their hole life and move to another branch, often in another prefecture. In the months leading up to the company i worked for going bankrupt, all the Japanese staff (overwhelmingly young and female) didn't get paid for like 4-5 months.

In saying that, the first manager I had was a bit of a biitch and looked like a chipmunk. The rest were cool and I'm still friends with one till this day. She even came and visited me here in Korea.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2019, 11:50:06 am »
Gawd, there's been so many.

The first that comes to mind is this dick of a manager who kept trying to cut employee pay and benefits and bully pregnant employees into quitting so that he could artificially raise the store's profit margin and therefore boost his own projected salary bonus. In general, he made everyone's jobs a lot harder because he was always looking for ways to cut costs, even if it was illegal or went against store policy, and he constantly threw his weight around so that no one would challenge or question him (people still reported him, but he was always trying to interfere with the process). He was eventually going to get fired for purposefully violating health code regulations, too (he shut off the hot water in the employee bathrooms, refused to let anyone restock the soap, put expired merch back on the shelves (think cold meats), and etc), but he got fired for stealing from cashier tills before they could get around to all of the other shit, lol. He got caught red-handed while he was still being investigated for everything else. The worst part is he actually had a really good salary, and, coupled with the normal salary bonuses, he easily made six figures each year. I later found out that they were also investigating him for having an affair with another married manager, lmao.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 12:00:03 pm by Chinguetti »

• elsbethm
  • Veteran

• September 29, 2016, 09:26:54 pm
    • gangwondo
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2019, 02:16:22 pm »
Not Korea/teaching related, but the worst manager I ever had was the owner of a small restaurant I worked for a summer.  She had a reputation of being batsh*t, but I was new to town and was unaware.   She was also a chef and was supposed to work the breakfast shift on Sundays and Mondays.  She would always show up late and I would have to turn away angry customers who were expecting breakfast. When she finally did show up she would expect me to drop whatever I was doing to make her a cappuccino on the super old and broken machine.  If her cappuccino took more than 3mins from the time she walked in the door or wasn't perfect (it never was because the machine refused to work half the time) she would start yelling. 
She also thought that 30mins was more than enough time for one person to fully open the restaurant including setting up the kitchen, the patio (moving heavy tables and chairs out of storage every morning), do a morning sweep, mop and dust, and bake cookies, butter tarts, brownies and muffins (all from scratch). And again would yell if it wasn't all done (which it never was).
She constantly would take money out of the till, not tell anybody, and then scream at staff when the till didn't balance...until she remembered that she was the reason we were short.
She expected us to pick up ingredients/supplies before our shifts but would get angry when we included that time in our time sheets.
I walked out in the middle of a shift because she started screaming at me when I pointed out that she made a mistake on an order.   She showed up at my house that evening begging me to come back-which I did because the tips I made at that job were ridiculous.  I managed to survive the rest of the summer.
Last I heard she locked some poor girl in her truck when that girl tried to quit.
Good times.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:19:17 pm by elsbethm »

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2019, 03:56:53 pm »
After reading this I feel really lucky. All my horrible experiences pale in comparison. One of the most annoying was a job that was very juvenile about pay remittances. When ever there was a complaint I’d be paid right as the offices closed. Not the end of the world, but so passive aggressive.

• AWVM_HXE
  • Adventurer

• June 15, 2016, 06:07:37 pm
    • Asia-Pacific Region
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2019, 08:09:22 pm »
I got my revenge against Boob Lady by mispronouncing her name juuuuust enough that it turned into a slightly insulting word, but not enough that she could call me on it without my turning it around on her and crying because "she made fun of my Japanese and I'm trying so hard!" She never called me on it, but she would slam her planner closed and huff around huffingly whenever I did it. No one ever asked her what was wrong because everyone knew she was a butthead.

Anyways, I am now at an international school and she's probably still single and working at an eikaiwa and trying to undermine all female employees- I was only one of many.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 08:38:38 am »
When I was 16, I did some part-time work at a large retail-store. The manager was a mean, old bastard and had a reputation for treating employees like sh*t and being ultra cheap. Word didn't reach my ears and I took the saturday job sorting the MASSIVE stock room. He warned that I better have it sorted by the end of the day. I got to work, skinny kid lifting obnoxiously heavy boxes and sorting all the crap. The storeroom was massive and even 2 people would've struggled to sort the entire room by the end of the day.

Exhausted, I was about to take my lunch before the manager stopped me and said he wasn't impressed with my progress. Since I was "slacking" I was told to work through my lunch and could only stop once the room was sorted. Being a kid and not really understanding that I was being exploited, I went back to work. While working, I overheard him joking to the other staff that "these 'laaities' (kids) are spoilt and need  learn how to work hard". After 10hrs of non-stop, a few of the other sympathetic staff members spared a few minutes to help me, I hadn't finished and had not eaten since breakfast. was allowed take my first short break of the day before coming back to help close the store. I stumbled past the manager who smuggly chuckled "nice to work hard, hey?"

I went to a nearby convenience store and bought some food and a drink. I sat down to eat and the next thing I remember, I'm on the floor with a few strangers staring at me asking if I'm ok and overhearing other muttering to one another "probably drugs". Apparently, I collapsed where I was sitting on and hit the ground hard, leaving a gash on my forehead. I went straight to hospital and luckily didn't need stitches. After a glucose drip and some rest, I was fine. Went back a few days later to get my pay and never returned.

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 11:19:20 am »
He was of the Park Chung Hee generation and had no love for foreigners...never mind that he was an ajosshi of 50 years of age himself,
Wouldn't that make him part of the Chun-Doo Hwan generation? Park was killed in 1979. If this was written in say, 2009, the person would have been born in 1959, which would have made him 20 when park was assassinated. However, most people around that age during that time period were rather opposed to Park. Wouldn't they be more of the Kim Young-Sam generation? I know I'm being pedantic here, but this is the kind of technicality I notice. Doesn't change the content of the story in any way.