Read 5098 times

North Koreans Harassed on Street for Wearing MAGA Hats
« on: May 03, 2019, 12:33:11 am »
Story: A video that was posted on twitter apparently shows two men harassing a group of people, one of whom claims that they are from North Korea, for wearing MAGA hats. The original poster of the video, who allegedly was in the video, has since deleted his account.

(Sorry for the non-news media link. The only news outlet carrying it so far are some obviously partisan right-wing outlets of dubious reliability and some conservative blue check marks on twitter, so I didn't want to link them. However, the video does appear to be genuine)
https://twitter.com/j_baylorcook/status/1123770146269618176

Editorial: Things like this really drive points home. Maybe some people need to really consider how wrapped up they've gotten into this "MAGA Hat=Symbol of Hate" thing and the nature of free speech and respect. When you're engaging in North Korean-esq behavior to (alleged) North Koreans who are probably here as refugees, you really need to reconsider things. Also, I think the North Koreans have a pretty good idea of when someone is an actual tyrant and not just a media-created bogeyman.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Re: North Koreans Harassed on Street for Wearing MAGA Hats
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 04:34:29 am »
Story: A video that was posted on twitter apparently shows two men harassing a group of people, one of whom claims that they are from North Korea, for wearing MAGA hats. The original poster of the video, who allegedly was in the video, has since deleted his account.

(Sorry for the non-news media link. The only news outlet carrying it so far are some obviously partisan right-wing outlets of dubious reliability and some conservative blue check marks on twitter, so I didn't want to link them. However, the video does appear to be genuine)

Editorial: Things like this really drive points home. Maybe some people need to really consider how wrapped up they've gotten into this "MAGA Hat=Symbol of Hate" thing and the nature of free speech and respect. When you're engaging in North Korean-esq behavior to (alleged) North Koreans who are probably here as refugees, you really need to reconsider things. Also, I think the North Koreans have a pretty good idea of when someone is an actual tyrant and not just a media-created bogeyman.
LOL.

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2019, 04:57:30 am »
How many red hats have shot up churches, mosques and synagogues now?

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2019, 05:10:59 am »
How many red hats have shot up churches, mosques and synagogues now?

Good question. Like, none. Please share those stories with us.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2019, 05:12:33 am »
I think that people need to consider that “what they are saying” is not always “what others are hearing.”

A red MAGA hat has a non-trivial chance of being “heard” as “the wearer is both stupid and bigoted” regardless of the wearer’s intend message.

I think if you choose to wear one, you need to be prepared for the backlash.

I’m not excusing anybody for their reaction to it, but it is entirely predictable.

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 06:42:40 am »
I think that people need to consider that “what they are saying” is not always “what others are hearing.”

A red MAGA hat has a non-trivial chance of being “heard” as “the wearer is both stupid and bigoted” regardless of the wearer’s intend message.

I think if you choose to wear one, you need to be prepared for the backlash.

I’m not excusing anybody for their reaction to it, but it is entirely predictable.

Agreed.  If I see someone wearing a MAGA hat, I'll automatically assume know they're an idiot.  It's the same if I go to Greece and see a middle-aged guy, with a load of tattoos wearing a Union Jack t-shirt.  Not saying they're all cutns, just that first impression is a strong one when someone decides to wear something with a little bit of a message about who they are. 

• T_Rex
  • Adventurer

• April 23, 2019, 08:10:20 am
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2019, 07:15:59 am »
"Manager tells man he needs to remove his MAGA hat | What Would You Do?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thRsikyXuSk

I guess some people here would have agreed with the manager.

• Colburnnn
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2015, 05:52:37 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 07:44:00 am »
Ahhhh the age old 'blame someone for what they are wearing' argument. Girls in short skirts deserve to be harassed, muslims in headscarves deserve to be shouted at and people wearing red hats deserve a fist in their face.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 07:50:58 am »
Whatever happened to "I don't like that but that's my choice."

Nope, that's not good enough, better freak out in public over a hat.

NO, it's not like a nazi hat. NO, you don't get to accost someone for wearing one. NO, I wouldn't accost you for wearing a hammer and sickle.
The joys of fauxtherhood

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2019, 08:28:05 am »

LOL.

You're fine with what happened to them? You think we as Americans are living up to your claims of "Freedom of Expression" and "Freedom of Speech"? Do you think we're showing ourselves as a tolerant, mature, non-violent people?

Do you really think America is a "Fascist Country" and people who wear MAGA hats are like brown shirts? Really? I think people from North Korea know what real brownshirts look like.

And does this group of MAGA hat wearers strike you as violent or racist or uneducated or bigoted or stupid? Really? They are the ones with the problem?

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2019, 08:46:43 am »
You're fine with what happened to them? You think we as Americans are living up to your claims of "Freedom of Expression" and "Freedom of Speech"? Do you think we're showing ourselves as a tolerant, mature, non-violent people?

Do you really think America is a "Fascist Country" and people who wear MAGA hats are like brown shirts? Really? I think people from North Korea know what real brownshirts look like.

And does this group of MAGA hat wearers strike you as violent or racist or uneducated or bigoted or stupid? Really? They are the ones with the problem?

should they be attacked? no. do people who wear maga hats strike me as uneducated? yes. they shouldn't necessarily but i know that statistically they are. tbh anyone who treats politics like a WWE smackdown vs raw type thing strikes me as uneducated and wearing a political hat like a football jersey really fits that narrative.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2019, 08:48:11 am »
I harass North Koreans regardless of what kind of hat they are wearing. They aided and abetted one of the west's primary enemies and I can't let them just get off scot free. I harass them, shout at them, point and grin at them and basically try to teach them a lesson. And why not?
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2019, 09:07:14 am »
I harass North Koreans regardless of what kind of hat they are wearing. They aided and abetted one of the west's primary enemies and I can't let them just get off scot free. I harass them, shout at them, point and grin at them and basically try to teach them a lesson. And why not?
Because these people are probably North Korean defectors/refugees/escapees. Judging by their appearance, they looked to be part of some organized group and were on their way to some sort of event. If they are defectors, they probably work with human rights groups and do more to fight for freedom in a day than you have done in your lifetime.

do people who wear maga hats strike me as uneducated? yes. they shouldn't necessarily but i know that statistically they are. tbh anyone who treats politics like a WWE smackdown vs raw type thing strikes me as uneducated and wearing a political hat like a football jersey really fits that narrative.
Really? THEY were the uneducated ones in that entire fracas? You can't be serious.

How are they treating it like a football game? They're just wearing a hat to show they support the President's North Korea policy. The ones who are treating it like a football game are the people prejudging the character of a person wearing it, and attacking them like a bunch of soccer hooligans.

The problem with this is people have done two things-
1) Blindly accepted and regurgitated talking points that wearing a MAGA hat and supporting Trump makes you akin to the KKK/Hitler
2) Decided to believe this because they want to add some significance to their lives. What those North Koreans have been through is REAL fascism. What people amp themselves up over Donald Trump is "I'm bored and want to LARP" fascism. Do you think people in North Korea went "I'm going to post some memes about how much Kim sucks, tear down a sign supporting him, and sign up against him for some march in August. Then I'm going to turn off my computer and hit up Whole Foods' salad bar before I go out for tapas and clubbing and post it on Instagram."

Maybe it's time to drop this whole schtick of Trump being a fascist and living in some dark authoritarian dystopia?

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2019, 09:14:48 am »
do people who wear maga hats strike me as uneducated? yes. they shouldn't necessarily but i know that statistically they are. tbh anyone who treats politics like a WWE smackdown vs raw type thing strikes me as uneducated and wearing a political hat like a football jersey really fits that narrative.
Really? THEY were the uneducated ones in that entire fracas? You can't be serious.

How are they treating it like a football game? They're just wearing a hat to show they support the President's North Korea policy. The ones who are treating it like a football game are the people prejudging the character of a person wearing it, and attacking them like a bunch of soccer hooligans.

sorry, i meant in general. not in this particular case. also, i acknowledge that there are people on both sides who treat it like a football game.

• zola
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2019, 09:41:21 am »
Because these people are probably North Korean defectors/refugees/escapees. Judging by their appearance, they looked to be part of some organized group and were on their way to some sort of event. If they are defectors, they probably work with human rights groups and do more to fight for freedom in a day than you have done in your lifetime.
Freedom isn't free buddy.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2019, 11:15:26 am »

LOL.

Your boy trump say Kim is a great guy and promised to pay him $2mill  for a photo op with a tortured victim's family.
But you're going nuclear over some people getting hassled because they're wearing hats that represent white nationalism and its darker elements. All the while, hate crimes continue to increase in the US since trump became president.

Typical.

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2019, 11:24:53 am »

You tell em Cletus!

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2019, 11:29:23 am »
Yeah, I'm sure you've done more for the cause than they have.  :rolleyes:

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2019, 11:32:32 am »
Your boy trump say Kim is a great guy and promised to pay him $2mill  for a photo op with a tortured victim's family.
But you're going nuclear over some people getting hassled because they're wearing hats that represent white nationalism and its darker elements. All the while, hate crimes continue to increase in the US since trump became president.

Typical.
You have a greater chance of being attacked by dogs than white nationalists. Just because they represent white nationalism to you, does not mean they represent white nationalism.

Nothing you have said excuses the treatment they received, nor the fact that elements of the left have become so unhinged by TDS that they're literally hallucinating living in an authoritarian country. If the people from an actual authoritarian country are saying "This isn't authoritarianism", maybe you should stop and think.

Anyways, as far as NK goes, diplomacy is a process. Judge it by its end result, not what happens in the opening quarter.

• zola
  • The Legend

• Korea
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2019, 11:44:13 am »
I do actually. I harass North Koreans, Iranians and other enemies of the West. I let them know that I'm on to them and they won't get away with their devious plans. Also support the troops whenever I can.
Kpip! - Martin 2018