Read 2730 times

Re: Shop owners try and halt Costco with laughable fine.
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2019, 05:07:22 am »
I have been in this country for a very long time, and I lean more toward SPQR's sentiments. While there have been, and still are, plenty of neighborhood businesses with friendly owners, many of them were/are not well run, and contained very little variety. Heavens knows how much time was spent on weekend trips to Namdaemun or whatever other black market foreign food markets just to get some soon-to-expire nacho chips and salsa or some maple syrup.

We can complain about the corporate big boxes taking over, but the same can be said for the 12 something H-Marts in the Washington DC area alone, which are a big box of Korean and other Asian goods. Koreans in the US have clearly gotten sick of driving long distances to find some remote, disorganized mom and pop Korean store with overpriced goods, and the H-Marts are spreading.

It's a different era, and convenience and automation are the name of the game. The mom and pop stores are going the way of Blockbuster video because that's what the market dictates. On a bright, related note, I have seen local mom-and pop shops in my neighborhood convert their stores to CU and other franchises. So, they are still making the same (if not more) profit, and can stay open 24 hours by hiring albas to work at minimum wage. As a university instructor, I find it refreshing to see more and more students each year with part-time jobs, making their own money. It gives them responsibility and opportunity.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2019, 11:25:24 am »
Hannam Small Shop Owners' Federation (whatever that is) tried to halt
a new Costco opening with a 50,000,000won fine.  Considering similar
Costcos made around 3,920,000,000,000 won per annum, this paltry sum
is, laughable.

As it should be.  These local yocals are trying to get the government to force
people to buy lower quality, more expensive and less diverse goods.

I feel for people who own obsolete businesses, but I think a vote of the
surrounding area's  consumers would be quite conclusive in Costco's favor.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2019/05/694_268109.html

Taxi drivers are doing the exact same thing. Idiots go out and burn themselves to death to protest Uber, Kakao taxi and ride sharing.

I try my best to support mom and pop businesses because I believe, particularly in Korea's case, the Chaebol have lived out their use... BUT, simply being smaller scale doesn't entitle you to anything. Make the argument that your business offers a better product or service than the larger one, don't complain and protest if you've nothing better to offer other than a sense of entitlement.

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2019, 11:27:47 am »
I vehemently disagree with you, sir. His stuff tastes like shit. I'd rather drink 7-11 coffee.
Better than Twosome and Holly's and Angelinus. That stuff is dreck. Of course that stuff and Burnbucks are all spectacular fails of coffee. Overroasted cups of fail. If I'm going to drink shit coffee, I might as well have it cheap.

Anyone who thinks Starbucks is good coffee is the same kind of person who thinks steaks and burgers should be well-done.

It really is all about finding good indie stores because there people actually don't turn their coffee into a liquid ashtray.

On a bright, related note, I have seen local mom-and pop shops in my neighborhood convert their stores to CU and other franchises. So, they are still making the same (if not more) profit, and can stay open 24 hours by hiring albas to work at minimum wage. As a university instructor, I find it refreshing to see more and more students each year with part-time jobs, making their own money. It gives them responsibility and opportunity.
Yeah, I think this might be the right middle-ground between anonymous big-boxes and shoddy mom and pops. Franchising still gives a significant amount of freedom, ownership, and motivation to owners to compete and thrive, but corporate oversight allows minimum standards, economies of scale, and customer appeal.

Franchise some mom and pop specialty goods stores or something. Sort of like how people might go to their local franchised Morning Glory instead of some Big Box store for school supplies.

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2019, 11:36:47 am »
Better than Twosome and Holly's and Angelinus. That stuff is dreck.

YOU ARE OUT OF LINE SIR I THINK YOU NEED TO TAKE A MOMENT TO CALM DOWN

I actually like Twosome coffee, but I agree that Holly's and Angelinus don't taste as well as their prices imply. Would still overpay for them over Pak's coffee, though. And I like Starbuck's white mocha. That's all I'll say about that.

But you're right, it's the small indie cafes where the best coffees are sold here. I have my favorites, but they're also super out of the way. And that's the real benefit of big coffee brands -- they're all over the place.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2019, 11:44:01 am by Chinguetti »

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2019, 11:44:13 am »
Fair enough.

It's a shame there isn't a franchise coffee chain that DOESN'T overroast their coffee.  :sad:

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2019, 11:49:57 am »
If you over-roast, you can get consistent flavoring from inconsistent beans.

Like putting sauce on food.

Good food, and good coffee, doesnít need to hide!

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2019, 11:51:03 am »
is, laughable.

Taxi drivers are doing the exact same thing. Idiots go out and burn themselves to death to protest Uber, Kakao taxi and ride sharing.

I try my best to support mom and pop businesses because I believe, particularly in Korea's case, the Chaebol have lived out their use... BUT, simply being smaller scale doesn't entitle you to anything. Make the argument that your business offers a better product or service than the larger one, don't complain and protest if you've nothing better to offer other than a sense of entitlement.

Very well said. I do my best to support local businesses that do their best to provide good service. I understand that they can't always compete on price, but when I have the option of buying something from my local family-owned grocery store or Costco or something, if the price is fairly similar, I'll almost always buy local. Also, my local mart knows me by name, remembers my point number, gives us free delivery on heavy stuff, and is in walking distance. Costco can't compete with that convenience. But I also spend millions of won per year at Costco, too, because there's a lot of stuff that Costco has that Korean shops can't compete with.

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2019, 12:03:39 pm »
Twosome coffee is dreadful, piss water and their cake is dry af too. I said what I said.

It's not just mom and pops stores...there's a cool little bakery near me and an amazing indie coffee shop.... but they're always empty now because they are surrounded by ALL the huge chains, which have cropped up seemingly overnight. Obviously these chains can afford to charge next to nothing for their stuff and it just runs customers out of anywhere remotely authentic or different. I'm not just talking about Korea either, it's getting to be the same in a lot of places and it's sad.

I do agree if a shop is crap they aren't entitled to customers, but I just wish we weren't celebrating ANOTHER ugly ass Costco selling the same old crap to crowds of people piling stuff upon stuff into their trolleys, pushing and queuing for samples like they're starving.

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2019, 02:12:08 pm »
I've been in mom and pop stores with no prices on anything and they just make them up depending on how they are feeling or how much of a mug you look like. I've been in the places where the owner is asleep on floor behind the till and I've had to wake them up to pay and been told off. **** the mom and pop stores most of them are absolute cunts. "How much is this bag of ice?" Clerk shrugs shoulders and mumbles something under their breath. Sorry for bothering you, here's your ice, I've left it on top of the freezer but you'll be too busy talking to some **** on the phone to notice it's there before it melts.  :wink:

I can't remember the last time I went into a mom and pop store where the clerk smiled at me or didn't look at me like i'd murdered their sprogs when I reciprocated their shallow hello.

What do they offer in 2019? Nothing.  The dinosaurs in the mom and pop stores are accelerating their own obsolescence.

Who is here in 2019?

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2019, 02:48:10 pm »
What do they offer in 2019? Nothing.  The dinosaurs in the mom and pop stores are accelerating their own obsolescence.

And my baby's my common sense
So don't feed me planned obsolescence
Yeah my baby's my common sense
So don't feed me planned obsolescence

- Jack White III
The joys of fauxtherhood

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2019, 09:46:13 am »
McCafe is where it's at for good affordable coffee. Ask all the Koreans in there sipping their coffee in a clean, well-lighted place with AC in the summer and heat in the winter.

Anyone who remembers what it was like to shop In Korea, when the mom and pop shops had very little to offer and what they did have was covered in dust and you had to take a trip to a department store and pay top won for good meat etc. knows how much better shopping is in Korea thanks to stores like Costco.

You want a taste of the old days? Head to the nearest soju tent and enjoy.

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2019, 10:17:43 am »
How did all of us who lived in places other than the big cities manage to survive without Costco?

FFS, Costco is nice but it isn't everything. I don't need a 5 gallon vat of Kirkland spaghetti sauce or a giant brick of cheese that I'd have to freeze before I could use it all.  The only things I've bought at Costco that were really worth it were a substantially cheaper bottle of Johnnie Walker Platinum Label, a giant bag of red solo cups for house parties and beer pong, and some candy canes and Halloween candy for the kids.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2019, 10:52:50 am »
How did all of us who lived in places other than the big cities manage to survive without Costco?

FFS, Costco is nice but it isn't everything. I don't need a 5 gallon vat of Kirkland spaghetti sauce or a giant brick of cheese that I'd have to freeze before I could use it all.  The only things I've bought at Costco that were really worth it were a substantially cheaper bottle of Johnnie Walker Platinum Label, a giant bag of red solo cups for house parties and beer pong, and some candy canes and Halloween candy for the kids.

When I lived in Asan Techno Valley I went to the Costco in Cheonan.
Thatís how I survived!

:)

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2019, 01:55:49 pm »
Thatís how I survived!

I think we could all live without Costco.  But why would we want to?  Korea's
economy is 11th largest in the world, but its range of consumer choice is far,
far below that.

Older Koreans are still content to eat some dog soup, drink a bottle of suju
and kick back with a pack of smokes.  Bur, younger, urban and more sophisticated
Koreans demand consumer goods on a par with other rich countries.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2019, 02:27:44 pm »
Thatís how I survived!

I've been to that Costco twice and the one in Gwangmyeong ZERO times despite the fact that I worked in Gwangmyeong for a year and have lived within spitting distance for the last 4 years. hahaha
The joys of fauxtherhood

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2019, 03:25:29 am »
Thatís how I survived!

I've been to that Costco twice and the one in Gwangmyeong ZERO times despite the fact that I worked in Gwangmyeong for a year and have lived within spitting distance for the last 4 years. hahaha
Having a family changes your shopping habits.

A 2 kg box of corn flakes doesnít seem that unreasonable to me.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2019, 04:08:41 am »
is, laughable.

Very well said. I do my best to support local businesses that do their best to provide good service. I understand that they can't always compete on price, but when I have the option of buying something from my local family-owned grocery store or Costco or something, if the price is fairly similar, I'll almost always buy local. Also, my local mart knows me by name, remembers my point number, gives us free delivery on heavy stuff, and is in walking distance. Costco can't compete with that convenience. But I also spend millions of won per year at Costco, too, because there's a lot of stuff that Costco has that Korean shops can't compete with.

You've got it backwards. The local mart is doing those things to compete with Costco and the like.

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2019, 10:08:03 pm »
The last time I went into a Costco in Korea, I had the opportunity to see all the farmers in shiny suits lapping up the mix of onions, relish, and mustard.

I have not been back. 

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2019, 07:38:25 am »
NorthStar: The last time I went into a Costco in Korea, I had the opportunity to see all the farmers in shiny suits lapping up the mix of onions, relish, and mustard.

I have not been back. 

The Costco salad consists of onions, KETCHUP and mustard you rube.  It's only the sophisticats in head to toe UnderArmour that are in the know enough to go up to the counter and ask for an "extra" relish packet for the hot dog they didn't buy. 

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2019, 09:35:48 am »
Bur, younger, urban and more sophisticated
Koreans demand consumer goods on a par with other rich countries.
Nothing says sophisticated like a giant bag of Kirkland dark roast coffee. Costco is great for bulk staple goods and they occasionally have some quirky things that slip through, but some purveyor of fine goods it is not.

Costco's main appeal is geared towards families and small business owners who need staple goods.

The last time I went to Costco was like two years ago, although I have scooped up some Kirkland crap from Foreign Food Mart out of sheer convenience. It's nice to have, but I wouldn't really notice if it left. But then again, I don't have a family to worry about.

The last time I went into a Costco in Korea, I had the opportunity to see all the farmers in shiny suits lapping up the mix of onions, relish, and mustard.

I have not been back. 
Did it give you a rise to be able to look down on them?

Anyways, you showed them! Take that Costco!

Honestly who gives a f- if they do or don't? Hey, if you enjoy it, and it's free, rock on. I could care less. Good for them, let theme enjoy their free onions and mustard and ketchup.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 10:02:50 am by Mr.DeMartino »