Read 2982 times

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2018, 07:04:54 pm
    • Canada
Shop owners try and halt Costco with laughable fine.
« on: May 02, 2019, 02:34:21 pm »
Hannam Small Shop Owners' Federation (whatever that is) tried to halt
a new Costco opening with a 50,000,000won fine.  Considering similar
Costcos made around 3,920,000,000,000 won per annum, this paltry sum
is, laughable.

As it should be.  These local yocals are trying to get the government to force
people to buy lower quality, more expensive and less diverse goods.

I feel for people who own obsolete businesses, but I think a vote of the
surrounding area's  consumers would be quite conclusive in Costco's favor.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2019/05/694_268109.html

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
Re: Shop owners try and halt Costco with laughable fine.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2019, 02:49:52 pm »
Hannam Small Shop Owners' Federation (whatever that is) tried to halt
a new Costco opening with a 50,000,000won fine.  Considering similar
Costcos made around 3,920,000,000,000 won per annum, this paltry sum
is, laughable.

As it should be.  These local yocals are trying to get the government to force
people to buy lower quality, more expensive and less diverse goods.

I feel for people who own obsolete businesses, but I think a vote of the
surrounding area's  consumers would be quite conclusive in Costco's favor.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2019/05/694_268109.html

It actually makes me sad that independent businesses are run to the ground by huge, faceless corporations. Why are they "yocals" for trying to make a living?

I get it, Costco and the like are convenient and cheap because they can afford to be. No one there gives a shit about you though, no one gives you service or remembers your face or makes chit chat with you.

I also get that they provide jobs to people too...that's cool but man, what a bland world we are gonna live in when everything is a huge chain store. It's already pretty depressing walking down the street and seeing independents shutting their doors to make way for ANOTHER Paris Baguette, Starbucks or the like.

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2019, 02:55:40 pm »
Have you seen the crap Korean mom and pop stores sell?  Sorry, I lived
in this country when there was no cheese, bread or affordable beef,
sausages etc.  When there was nothing to drink but Cass or soju.

Take my word for it.  You don't want to go back to the way it was.  Small
shops are obsolete.

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2019, 02:57:43 pm »

shops are obsolete.

I disagree, but ok. Your comment assumes I don't know what I'm talking about...almost as if I don't also live in Korea...pretty arrogant.

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• Canada
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2019, 03:04:52 pm »
I've been here since 1996.  How about you, toots?

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2019, 03:08:03 pm »

Ahh we're gonna do that are we, toots?

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• Canada
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 03:09:01 pm »

Ahh we're gonna do that are we, toots?

Haha

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2019, 03:10:10 pm »

shops are obsolete.

I disagree, but ok. Your comment assumes I don't know what I'm talking about...almost as if I don't also live in Korea...pretty arrogant.

Not to mention his world view surrounding Korean economic policies is based on what makes his life most enjoyable.

Is there a case to be made for Costco over mom and pops? Sure. And product diversity is part of that. At the same time, "Why don't all the local stores carry products that cater to niche markets? Screw them, let's bring in the corporate behemoth" is not the best counter argument.

I mean, wouldn't a better option be to see an expanding market that has individually owned cheese sellers be more common, the way independent coffee stores are? Or even a franchised chain of stores that specialize in specialty goods? This preserves the small-business model while still taking advantage of economies of scale.

Sure having the occasional big box is good, but an economy that eliminates most small businesses in favor of big boxes that pay $8/hr. is not good long-term, in my opinion. Gainful employment and upward mobility for the working and middle classes is much better than moderately cheaper prices and increased diversity in consumer goods, in my opinion.

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 03:10:17 pm »
These mom and pop stores likely haven't updated their interior and exterior for decades.

Having a Costco nearby might actually drive some pedestrian traffic their way. Some is better than none.

• debbiem89
  • Expert Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 03:15:56 pm »
These mom and pop stores likely haven't updated their interior and exterior for decades.

Having a Costco nearby might actually drive some pedestrian traffic their way. Some is better than none.

Maybe, but no one hangs about when they go to Costco do they? You have a membership, so you don't just wander in when you're in the area. They drive there specifically, park, shop and leave. No perusing other businesses nearby usually (and why would you? They have literally every thing...)

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2019, 03:17:54 pm »

You mean when there was less compressed fat, less empty carbs, less unsustainable meat, and less processed unhealthy meat and reduced incentive to consume alcohol?

Look, this is just me being contrarian here, but there is another way of looking at things and its something to keep in mind. You know you might have tried to mix in some fruits and vegetables or healthy grains. Finally, you chose to move to wherever back in the day. Why the sense of entitlement and resentment that a country doesn't have certain groceries and people enjoy different kinds of food? You have an argument to make, but this just comes across as rather petulant.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2019, 03:19:23 pm »
There are some good small business/mom and pop owners here. But there are a fair amount who deserve to be put out of business. Non-existent customer service, rude acting like you don't want me in your shop, shite product.

When I first moved into where I live now, there was one independent smallish mart, and one chain mid size mart.
The independent place:
-sold rotten produce
-you would go in there and the old coot would be sleeping out the back,
-it stunk,
-he was a grumpy priick
-and worst of all he would just ring up random prices for things that changed every time i went in there. The only reason why i went there was because it was 25m from my front door. 2 or so years ago 3 convenience stores opened within a 100m radius and another mid sized mart opened round the corner. The old geezer's shop looked like a ghost town. He probably could have survived if he had engendered any sort of good will with the community and didn't try to rip people off. Instead he and his family protested outside the CU and he was out of business within the year.

As much as people dislike McDonalds, it's one of the few places I can go in and be (almost) guaranteed a friendly greeting. What are the odds of that in a typical restuarant? Not ****** good. Do McDonalds care about me? Or Costco? No. But the mom and pop stores sure as shit don't either. And at least I know what I'm getting at Costco etc.
The few times I've been ripped off in this country have either been taxis or small businesses.

At the end of the day I don't expect a wide selection of anything in this country, especially having lived outside Seoul for 6 years. All I want is a modicum of good manners and not being actively shafted by the proprietor. Unfortunately a lot of this salt of the earth, "mom and pop" owners can't even manage that.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2019, 03:24:40 pm »
I wish there was more variety in stores here. I'm not expecting an empanada stall with mole sauce, but it's the same shit everywhere. Cell phones, coffee and chicken.

It it makes the guys money, sure, who the hell am I, but it sure results in a dreary, boring landscape.

I'll use this opportunity to say "Fukk Baek Jeongwon" for the 700th time.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• Canada
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2019, 03:25:56 pm »
Sure having the occasional big box is good, but an economy that eliminates most small businesses in favor of big boxes that pay $8/hr.

Costco is one of the highest paying retail businesses in the world.

https://www.businessinsider.com/costco-pays-retail-employees-20-an-hour-2014-10

• SPQR
  • Veteran

• Canada
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 03:37:14 pm »
There are some good small business/mom and pop owners here. But there are a fair amount who deserve to be put out of business. Non-existent customer service, rude acting like you don't want me in your shop, shite product.

When I first moved into where I live now, there was one independent smallish mart, and one chain mid size mart.
The independent place:
-sold rotten produce
-you would go in there and the old coot would be sleeping out the back,
-it stunk,
-he was a grumpy priick
-and worst of all he would just ring up random prices for things that changed every time i went in there. The only reason why i went there was because it was 25m from my front door. 2 or so years ago 3 convenience stores opened within a 100m radius and another mid sized mart opened round the corner. The old geezer's shop looked like a ghost town. He probably could have survived if he had engendered any sort of good will with the community and didn't try to rip people off. Instead he and his family protested outside the CU and he was out of business within the year.

As much as people dislike McDonalds, it's one of the few places I can go in and be (almost) guaranteed a friendly greeting. What are the odds of that in a typical restuarant? Not ****** good. Do McDonalds care about me? Or Costco? No. But the mom and pop stores sure as shit don't either. And at least I know what I'm getting at Costco etc.
The few times I've been ripped off in this country have either been taxis or small businesses.

At the end of the day I don't expect a wide selection of anything in this country, especially having lived outside Seoul for 6 years. All I want is a modicum of good manners and not being actively shafted by the proprietor. Unfortunately a lot of this salt of the earth, "mom and pop" owners can't even manage that.

I agree completely here.  I remember similar places.  Wooden floors.  People lived in the back. Different era.

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2019, 03:47:41 pm »
The man has some seriously polarizing qualities about him. His ubiquity and overall mediocrity is exasperating. On the other hand, he at least has the decency to charge affordable prices his bland franchise food. I mean, Paik's Coffee is decent value. Tastes as good or better than Twosome or Holly's and about the same as Charbucks. I'd hate him more if he was overcharging for his crap, so as it stands he merely gets a place of disdain that includes joints like Denny's or Panda Express. You're not good, but at least you're not ripping people off.

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2019, 04:21:57 pm »
The man has some seriously polarizing qualities about him. His ubiquity and overall mediocrity is exasperating. On the other hand, he at least has the decency to charge affordable prices his bland franchise food. I mean, Paik's Coffee is decent value. Tastes as good or better than Twosome or Holly's and about the same as Charbucks.

I vehemently disagree with you, sir. His stuff tastes like shit. I'd rather drink 7-11 coffee. The only thing his stuff has going for it is the fact that it IS so cheap.

Venti is definitely a much better option of you're looking for cheap but drinkable.

• T.J.
  • Veteran

• June 09, 2011, 11:07:16 am
    • 서울 은평구 연신내
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2019, 06:35:52 pm »

1991. You're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. I like my local mom and pop store.
"An ignorant person is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock."

-Will Rogers

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2019, 06:42:00 pm »
there's a reason costco is always busy in korea. because the smaller "mom and pop" places (as you yanks like to call them) are utter shite
- rotten produce
- rude service
- unclean
- never used to let me pay with a card
- lack of variety

ps twosome is best korea coffee

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2019, 11:58:35 pm »
Sure having the occasional big box is good, but an economy that eliminates most small businesses in favor of big boxes that pay $8/hr.

Costco is one of the highest paying retail businesses in the world.

https://www.businessinsider.com/costco-pays-retail-employees-20-an-hour-2014-10
And, at my local store In Canada, the staff did get to know me. The longtime staff love working there. The folks in Yangae are starting to recognize me after 4 years... or maybe itís my good-looking son (takes after his mom that way.)