Read 591 times

Special Education Teachers for Hawaii
« on: May 01, 2019, 03:25:08 am »
For those of you who are licensed certified teachers from the USA, you may have seen a lot of online
ads, or have received emails with ads regarding teaching jobs for special education teachers in the
state of Hawaii. I also once knew a native English teacher who worked in Taiwan for one year, and
she even told me the same thing from as early as 9 to 10 years ago.

I have always wondered, why is it that the state of Hawaii is always looking for Special Education
teachers? What has driven up the demand for Special Education Teachers?

I don't have a specialty in Special Education. If I did then Hawaii would be on my radar for
job opportunities. But I am sure that a lot of teachers would love to live and work in Hawaii
because it is a tropical paradise in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. But I am sure that living
and working there would be a totally differnt experience than just going there for a vacation.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
Re: Special Education Teachers for Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 04:04:46 am »
special ed. is no fun mate, underpaid as well.
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 06:28:35 pm »
special ed. is no fun mate, underpaid as well.
I've worked in SPED in the US for about 5 years now.  I thoroughly enjoy it.  With SPED you have smaller class sizes or, in many cases, work one-to-one with students on specific academic or social areas where they need assistance.  Also, I am paid MORE than regular education teachers in my state. 

Just commenting as someone saying "special ed. is no fun mate" is just pure opinion and "underpaid as well" makes no sense since SPED teachers in the US are on the same salary schedule as regular education teachers.  In fact, in many states SPED teacher's make more.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 08:30:30 pm »
Special Ed  can be tough, but it does have the advantages mentioned above. Not mentioned was all the extra paperwork and meetings with parents, etc.

I'd bet a teacher's salary doesn't go far in Hawaii.

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 10:30:26 pm »
Special Ed  can be tough, but it does have the advantages mentioned above. Not mentioned was all the extra paperwork and meetings with parents, etc.

I'd bet a teacher's salary doesn't go far in Hawaii.

The extra paperwork is what makes it more challenging. Here in Ontario, Canada where I live
they have to write out IEP's (Individualized Education Plans) for these students. As a music teacher
I don't have to do that because IEP's are mainly for the 3R's.

• LIC
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 10:32:36 pm »
Hawaii has long since lost its cache as a getaway since the 80's.

They do not want you. Don't go.

• leaponover
  • Expert Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 12:08:16 pm
    • Iksan, S. Korea
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2019, 03:35:32 pm »
I was under the impression that Spec. Ed. teachers were in high demand everywhere, not just Hawaii.  When I was going through the alternative certification program in TX to become a teacher those were pretty much the only jobs hiring.  Wasn't my cup of tea, so I ended up in Korea.

Things may have changed in the last 7 years, but that was my recollection...math science and special ed. were the three areas in high demand.

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2019, 03:55:32 am »

What is the root cause of this?

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2019, 11:57:38 pm »

What is the root cause of this?
Too much rum in her pina colada?

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2019, 09:52:06 pm »

The question is: Why is there a high demand for special education teachers in Hawaii?

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Burning Oil Be Best
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 11:46:43 pm »

The question is: Why is there a high demand for special education teachers in Hawaii?
Something in the water?
Fiat voluntas tua- What you want is allowed

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2019, 11:32:00 pm »
It's all about the money:

Across the nation, teacher turnover is at its highest rate since 2001, which is the first year the U.S. Department of Labor started keeping records.
  In Hawaii, only 50% of teachers hired 5 years ago are still in the classroom.

"It totally blew my mind that teachers were in higher demand in Hawaii, I had no idea," said Special Education Teacher Angie Whaley.

The state is in dire need for special education teachers, which make up half of the annual teacher shortfall.

"Special ed is a severe problem, we are a lawsuit waiting to happen. Teachers and parents are aware we cannot provide the services because we don't have enough qualified teachers to provide the service," said HSTA President Corey Rosenlee.

Whaley came to Hawaii from Alaska, to get away from the cold.
But even with the state's need for more special ed teachers, the move to Hawaii's classrooms ended up being a costly one for her.

"I took a $25,000 pay cut, per year, to come here and teach," said Whaley.

Pay is the big reason many teachers leave the state, but not the profession. Teachers starting out in the islands make $5,000 less than the national average.

"We've seen a 70% increase in teachers leaving Hawaii to go to the mainland, where they can make $15-30,000 more," added Rosenlee.

Unlike other states across the country, there is no shortage of aspiring teachers here.
Even though overall enrollment is down at the University of Hawaii from its peak in 2011, there are more students heading into the College of Education in 2019 than in the past 2 years.
Many still want to become teachers. Just not in Hawaii.

"We've seen a huge decrease in the amount we hire from local colleges," stated Rosenlee.

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2019, 05:09:34 am »
You'd think they could use the property taxes on their overpriced housing to fund education, but maybe they have some stupid tax policy like California that rewards old property owners and punishes children.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit

• NorthStar
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 08:33:53 am »
You'd think they could use the property taxes on their overpriced housing to fund education, but maybe they have some stupid tax policy like California that rewards old property owners and punishes children.

...another state under the control of the Democrat Party. 

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2019, 05:39:44 pm »

...another state under the control of the Democrat Party. 

Do please remind us how Alabama's education system is doing.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM
    Trump is a liar and a con man.
Quote from Mr.DeMartino on June 14, 2019 at 02:28:07 pm
Donald Trump is a lying sack of shit