Read 602 times

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
In Korea, away from family and old friends, many of us often don't celebrate our birthday, as no one here even knows. A phone call from home overseas is about it.

But I wanna celebrate!

Today l'm 50.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: Today is my birthday. How should I celebrate? (How do you?)
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 01:42:03 am »
Happy Birthday VanI!

In my house, itís one of the few time I (nominally) get to pick what we eat.

My mom bakes a cake, regardless of where I am, and shares it with whoever is there. (It was my grandmotherís tradition.)

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
    • Gouda cheese Be Best cheese
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 04:28:59 am »
Happy Birthday
Fiat voluntas tua- All that you want is allowed

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 07:53:08 am »
In Korea, away from family and old friends, many of us often don't celebrate our birthday, as no one here even knows. A phone call from home overseas is about it.

But I wanna celebrate!

Today l'm 50.

Fair enough....Happy Birthday.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 08:12:26 am »
congrats... happy birthday, bro!
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• LIC
  • Veteran

• February 15, 2019, 04:39:00 pm
    • NE Hemisphere
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 09:52:49 am »
I like me. Thus, I like to be alone: cold beer, rock n roll, peace and quiet (to a degree). I don't mind noise if I'm making it!

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 10:40:13 am »
I detest cake.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 02:14:19 pm »
My director took me and the Korean teachers from our hagwon to a famous, busy traditional little restaurant for lunch in another town 40 minutes away. We had a most hearty pot of kimchi stew with more beef and a heck of a lot more garlic than I've ever had in a kimchi jjigae before. It was yummy.

Then we went to a nice cafe for coffee and a Baskin-Robbins ice cream cake appeared along with a present (an ink stamp in ivory colored stone with my name in English and Korean to stamp using an accompanying little ink pad).

I started at this academy exactly two years ago on my birthday May 1st 2017. Now I am exactly halfway through a 2-year E-2 visa I signed a year ago, entering my third year.

I didn't expect this celebration. Of course, it makes sense since my classes this week are a special 'Game Day' i designed to celebrate my bday and Children's Day this coming Sunday. Word of that probably spread around to teachers and so my birthday wasn't overlooked.

It's nice.

• SanderB
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 04:05:03 pm »
That's awfully nice of them.

Did I mention that I despise cake? Ice cream cake even more so.
The only cake I like would be   :azn:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 04:54:48 pm by SanderB »

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 04:31:17 pm »
My director took me and the Korean teachers from our hagwon to a famous, busy traditional little restaurant for lunch in another town 40 minutes away. We had a most hearty pot of kimchi stew with more beef and a heck of a lot more garlic than I've ever had in a kimchi jjigae before. It was yummy.

Then we went to a nice cafe for coffee and a Baskin-Robbins ice cream cake appeared along with a present (an ink stamp in ivory colored stone with my name in English and Korean to stamp using an accompanying little ink pad).

I started at this academy exactly two years ago on my birthday May 1st 2017. Now I am exactly halfway through a 2-year E-2 visa I signed a year ago, entering my third year.

I didn't expect this celebration. Of course, it makes sense since my classes this week are a special 'Game Day' i designed to celebrate my bday and Children's Day this coming Sunday. Word of that probably spread around to teachers and so my birthday wasn't overlooked.

It's nice.
Ha that's great! Very thoughtful of them, and nice to spend it among (good?) company. Plans for tonight?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 06:57:27 pm »
Tonight I finish teaching at 930 pm (it's the high-level middle school TOEIC class: students got 940 and 910 last year),... it might be my regular hump day Wednesday night: play with my two cats and hit the sack by 11.

This Friday is pay day so I'm planning on treating myself to a belated present: a weekend jaunt to nearby Daegu (Indian/Mexican food, bookstore), or bus it to Seoul for summer clothes shopping.

Note: That deep dish pizza looks fantastic. I've never been to Chicago. I ate one of those at Emart but it tasted like heated frozen fare.. ugh..

Note 2: a teacher who couldn't come on our lunch trip today presented me minutes ago with a box she paper mached nicely with her craft arts talent. I'll use it in my classroom somehow.

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 07:45:49 pm »
Happy belated Birthday ~!

I never celebrate my birthday, I even try to avoid reminding anyone of when my birthday is. 

I used to enjoy going out with friends or family on my birthday, but they make too much of a deal out of it, so it stresses me out now. These days I prefer just staying home and hoping no one remembers it.

But it's nice to have people who want to appreciate you on your birthday. :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 10:59:41 am by Chinguetti »

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 09:15:02 pm »
Belated? It's still May 1st  (at least here in Korea) for another hour and fortysomething minutes!

I'm glad I let people know it was my birthday. The three years I was in Hadong, Gyeongsangnamdo, I didn't tell anyone it was my bday and I ended up not celebrating it at all, except for some packages from family that came days before/after the bday itself.

• tomoakleaf
  • Veteran

• September 22, 2012, 03:38:47 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 09:55:00 pm »
Pro tip:  try booking into a hotel on your birthday and if you are lucky you will be presented with a birthday cake at some point during your stay. 

Kinda reminds me of Mr bean who writes his own christmas cards.  As an orphan who will turn 40 next year with no family that's what i do.

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2019, 10:59:21 am »
Belated? It's still May 1st  (at least here in Korea) for another hour and fortysomething minutes!

I'm glad I let people know it was my birthday. The three years I was in Hadong, Gyeongsangnamdo, I didn't tell anyone it was my bday and I ended up not celebrating it at all, except for some packages from family that came days before/after the bday itself.

Haaaaaa~h! My brain registered yesterday as today. Edited for reality.

• debbiem89
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2016, 09:42:49 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2019, 02:02:28 pm »
Happy (actually belated) Birthday aha.

Your plan for the weekend sounds nice!

Last year i went out for drinks, just casually told people that it wasn't a big deal (no RSVP needed, no "event" on social media or anything hideous like that) but if they were free they were welcome to join. I hate the idea of anyone going out of their way to come to a specific "event" so I only told people in passing and assured them that it wasn't a fuss if they couldn't make it or didn't want to.

I was really touched that basically everyone showed up. Someone brought a cake, a bunch of people brought gifts. It ended up being a cool night, no "start" or "end" time...people just coming and going as they pleased.

My birthday is in a few weeks but basically everyone has left or moved since then. I imagine this year it'll just be me and maybe a friend or two eating dinner. It's kind of a shame since I'll be the big 3-0 and won't be with family or doing anything of note....but such is life I guess :) I'm not someone who insists it's "their" day and celebrates for like a week, forcing their friends to spend a ton of money haha

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2019, 02:07:04 pm »
Usually the weekend of my birthday week I will have a get together for food and drinks with my GF and friends. Most of my friends have left the island here but I still have a bunch of good friends in Seoul. So I flew to Seoul this past yr for the weekend. Had a fancy lunch with my GF and her mom first. Then a really late night out with good friends and spent some relaxing game time with some others.
All in all, a great time! The rest of my yr is super tame so it is nice do it up once or twice a yr for mine or a friends b-day.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2019, 02:38:27 pm »
I usually
-gather friends up for a restaurant
- don't make the guest list too big!  Seriously don't be those obnoxious foreigners that have 30+ plus people at a party.  Like seriously do you know all those people on a personal level!?!?  I doubt it. 
-And if you are doing an escape room, do it before dinner and drinks.
- Parks are always nice for picnic vibes.
-movie and amusement parks are great if you only invite less than 6 people otherwise it's hard for you to talk and make your guest feel welcomed.  This goes for celebrating your birthday at a baseball game. 
-Clubbing after all dinner and drinks are done is always a big hit with people.

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2019, 05:31:07 pm »
Happy birthday.

I phone my mom and say thank you for being patient raising a dumbass like me. Have dinner with wife and kid.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2019, 03:19:21 pm »
Postscript:

I closed out my birthday celebration by going to Seoul and having baklava, poutine and a fajita inbetween clothes shopping stops. I'll buy myself a bottle of that JD honey whiskey tonight, but that's to celebrate tomorrow as a holiday. ;)

Have a good one!