Read 378 times

• kiwikimchi
  • Expert Waygook

• December 27, 2010, 10:15:31 am
    • South Korea
Are TALK scholars entitled to get May 1st labour day off?
« on: April 30, 2019, 07:49:39 am »
All EPIK, JLP teachers get it off.  What about TALK teachers?

Re: Are TALK scholars entitled to get May 1st labour day off?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 10:14:36 am »
It should say in the contract about May 1st.  If it doesn't mention it then I suppose you have to work  :cry:

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 12:50:04 pm »
As far as I know, all contract workers are supposed to get that day off.

The only true exception that I know of is if you work for an employer whose business is really small, which would not apply to EPIK or TALK NETs since their employers are the education offices.

There's another possible exception that I can think of, and that may be that only full-time contract workers are entitled to this holiday off. I don't know if TALK NETs are considered full-time or part-time. Guess it depends? Also, I have no idea if this is a real and true legal exception. You might want to contact the labor office for clarification, or to post the question in one of those labor law FB groups.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 02:35:05 pm by Chinguetti »

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 12:58:26 pm »
It should say in the contract about May 1st.  If it doesn't mention it then I suppose you have to work  :cry:

May 1st is not a red day holiday. It is supposed to be the only official holiday for contract workers. I think that's stated in the LSA.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:00:55 pm by Savant »

• Kayos
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 31, 2016, 07:13:57 pm
    • NZ
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 01:02:21 pm »
This is what the co-ord from JLP said about talk scholars:
Your coordinator can likely answer that better than I, but as a TaLK scholar you are considered a scholar and not a full time worker. I know you have to work, as a talk scholar has to work here in our office tomorrow.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 01:18:12 pm »
Isnít every day a day off for talk? :laugh:

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2019, 01:33:07 pm »
This is what the co-ord from JLP said about talk scholars:
Your coordinator can likely answer that better than I, but as a TaLK scholar you are considered a scholar and not a full time worker. I know you have to work, as a talk scholar has to work here in our office tomorrow.

This might be true, but I would still take it with a grain of salt until you can verify it with the labor board or someone who is very knowledgeable of labor law (as in a labor attorney or someone who works with them). I've been told wrong info by coordinators before, lol. A lot of what they know is per the education office/personal experience. They know more than your average NET, but they can be misinformed, too, especially when it concerns the little nuances over something as complicated as law.

By all means, ask your coordinator, but if you find something they say is questionable, please don't be a douche about it. Just accept what they say and do your own digging until you can either confirm or deny what you've been told.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:41:22 pm by Chinguetti »