Read 710 times

Hello!

I'm going to be finishing my contract at my current school and would like to relocate to Seoul.

- I'm currently living in Cheonan
- Have three years of teaching experience
- Would prefer no kindie
- Have a BA in English
- Am available after August 7th

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: Canadian male E2 Visa teacher looking for August position in Seoul
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2019, 12:18:11 pm »
Hello!

I'm going to be finishing my contract at my current school and would like to relocate to Seoul.

- I'm currently living in Cheonan
- Have three years of teaching experience
- Would prefer no kindie
- Have a BA in English
- Am available after August 7th

You'd do better to search yourself for specific jobs here, on Dave's, and on various Facebook groups.  Though the Facebook groups seem to offer better salaries for many jobs.  Just ask for more if any try to lowball you.  It's not the Great Recession anymore and people shouldn't be desperate anymore.  If we all dig in our heels, we can demand better salaries.  A couple of years experience should net 2.5 or 2.6 minimum.  Prob more, but this minimum isn't unreasonable. 

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 01:25:34 pm »
..slave labor program strikes again...

English Native speaker with bachelor degree or above
=> (USA / Canada / UK / Australia / New Zealand / Ireland / South Africa)
We only accept native English teachers.

=> Please email me your resume and picture to apply.

if you have any questions, messeage me on facebook messenger
* E2 visa support
* Start date : MAY OR JUNE
* Working hours : From 10 a.m to 7p.m (Mon-Fri) 5 days a week
* Salary : 2.1 (with free housing)
2.4 (without free housing)
* Benefits : Free Housing, medical Insurance(pay for 50%), Severance Pay, Paid vacation 8~10 days vacation, airplane ticket

OVERVIEW OF JOB DESCRIPTION :
No paper work
No over time work.
You only teach students English and participate in kindergarten events such as cooking class, picnic, birthday party and Halloween event.

This is an example of being low balled...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 01:27:41 pm by NorthStar »

• tomoakleaf
  • Veteran

• September 22, 2012, 03:38:47 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 01:36:08 pm »
I've heard that it can be quite tricky to find a job in Seoul.  Try Chungdham CDI in Mapo and the telephone number is 02-711-9407.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 09:46:10 pm »
I've heard that it can be quite tricky to find a job in Seoul.

If you're male, over 40, well qualified, not north american, have a receding hairline, have grey hair anywhere on your head, are not caucasian, are experienced, are ethnically korean... then you will struggle to get work in Seoul.   

Seoul is an employers market because everyone wants to work there. 

What schools want though is not qualifications or experience but good looks, whiteness and youth.  Because they're all about image and in the Korean mindset, younger is always better. Even for professions like doctors, nurses etc the Korean mentality is to always think younger is better. In their minds, a 24 yr-old doctor who has just graduated and has good looks is necessarily the best doctor in the world. A doctor with 30 years of treating patients is "too old" in their thinking.

OP if you fall into any of the aforementioned categories just do yourself a favor and apply to rural jobs out in the countryside. The middle of nowhere is less fussy in its requirements. Seoul only wants supermodel material.

Even if you do manage to land a position in Seoul, it will take months, and you'll only be fired/ non renewed the moment the school finds someone aged 20.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 10:04:06 pm by Cyanea »
Catch my drift?

• tomoakleaf
  • Veteran

• September 22, 2012, 03:38:47 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 11:24:59 pm »
You can always try China, it's a really cool place.  Send me a private message and I can connect you with a reputable agency who will help you with your first and often most challenging step.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 08:25:42 am »
I second that.  A second year should be 2.5 to 2.6 million a month.  Walk to another country if you don't get it.  Anything less than that, you are being ripped off.  A lot of employers here are BS.  Korea is a lot more expensive than in the past yet many try to keep the wages low.  There are other countries out there.

• Encia Choi
  • Explorer

• December 14, 2018, 02:29:56 pm
    • Dongtan/Osan
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2019, 10:16:54 am »
aug 7th, is the ealiest time you can start?

Could you please send your recent photo and the resume to my attention?
thz

• HappyPlanetAbuser
  • Veteran

• May 30, 2019, 11:30:16 pm
    • in my car polluting your air
    more
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2019, 11:55:06 pm »
 ;D

have grey hair anywhere on your head,

Burning up your kids' future like there ain't no tomorrow! Trump 2200

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2019, 06:04:35 pm »
   Yes, Seoul can be difficult to get into, but that doesn't mean you cannot try. Yes, Korean hagwon bosses sometimes do get fixated on youth, good looks, being North American, having a "good" accent, smiling and so on. But one of my friends was over 50, he had entirely  white hair and looked older than his years. He was able to teach in Seoul and Seongnam until recently, when he moved to Daejeon. So it is possible. He was also Canadian.

But it depends. You may be lucky or not. For the record, I was offered a couple of jobs in Seoul, but there were conditions such as payment of full key money or having to come to Korea without a visa and start work before going on a visa run to Japan. It seemed too risky, but I could have accepted.

Other countries are an option. Everybody says "go to China!" because there is  an ESL boom going on there, and China is HUGE. However, pay and conditions vary. I saw a job offer in Beijing. The salary was okay, but I would have to work 10 hour shifts and pay full rent. That means paying at least 4 months' rent up front. That's inconvenient. You also have to look for a place. However, outside of Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen etc, it may be much cheaper. The Chinese government may also ask you to get a very detailed medical check up before coming to China (I never had this in Beijing though). That will include tests for AIDS, hepatitis, TB, heart disease and other stuff. You may have to pay for this. You will most likely have to get a criminal record check. Furthermore, the Z-VISA is the only correct teaching visa for China.

HOWEVER, jobs do vary a lot. Some employers offer rent free accomodation, and some recruiters are willing to help you find it. Working hours can also vary a lot.

As regards Vietnam, I know people who had had enough of Korea, had enough of teaching in SEOUL. So they went to Vietnam. I can't advise you except to say that the tendency in Vietnam is to pay by the hour instead of giving you a contract. I get the impression there are more real jobs in Vietnam than in Thailand, though.