Read 659 times

• cwebb92
  • Newgookin

• April 25, 2019, 05:01:52 pm
    • Daegu
Gap Between Jobs Advice
« on: April 25, 2019, 05:07:07 pm »
      I am looking for advice concerning changing jobs. I am definitely not staying at my current Hagwon and my contract with them ends in August. I was planning to go home and visit family the last week of July but my Mom has a conference so it really isn't worth it. I was wondering if I could apply for a new teaching job that starts about 3 weeks after my contract ends so I could go home  for a visit. Is this possible? What is the best option for going home? I've seen a lot of information on the D-10 and extending my current visa but I don't know what my best option is.

Thanks,
C

Re: Gap Between Jobs Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 01:55:22 pm »
What is the date on the back of your ARC as that is the only date you worry about.  If your school contract finishes at the end of August you may have 13 months on your ARC card, meaning you can stay until the end of September, meaning there is no problem.  Let us know and then we can take it from there. 

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 01:20:28 am »
Typically your ARC gives you 1 month longer than your contract.

• m.corless
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 02:44:13 am »
I think immigration used to issue one month extensions fairly frequently/easily years ago but now it seems more common than you can only get a one-month extension if you have your next contract lined up at the time you apply. Otherwise you'll need to switch to a D-10 and then switch back when you return to Korea. The potential issue with that is you can't apply for a D-10 until the next day after your current contract ends and then it can take a week or so to process when you would need to stay in Korea.

• NorthStar
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2017, 10:54:06 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2019, 08:32:28 am »
I think immigration used to issue one month extensions fairly frequently/easily years ago but now it seems more common than you can only get a one-month extension if you have your next contract lined up at the time you apply. Otherwise you'll need to switch to a D-10 and then switch back when you return to Korea. The potential issue with that is you can't apply for a D-10 until the next day after your current contract ends and then it can take a week or so to process when you would need to stay in Korea.

I think it takes about 2-3 weeks to process that D-10 visa.  From what I have heard (head), you can leave before then, as they can give you some sort of document to show at the airport...but I cannot confirm this. 

Besides, isn't the D-10 based on a point system now? 

• cwebb92
  • Newgookin

• April 25, 2019, 05:01:52 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2019, 01:33:07 pm »
The date on the back of my ARC is September 18

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2019, 09:45:47 pm »
I would do my best to get a new contract signed before leaving, get the ARC updated, and relax on vacation.

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2019, 10:05:57 pm »
   You might therefore want to research getting a D-10 now to cover you between contracts. What I can say is that if you are covered by the Seoul (Omogkyo) Office of Immigration,  or the Gyeonggi Office in Suwon, or the Incheon Office, you'll need an appointment before immigration will even talk to you. In my experience, these places are often booked out several weeks ahead. What you could do is try to reserve a slot with Immigration at the HiKorea website: www.hikorea.go.kr  You can use your ARC card or passport number to help you log in or reserve. If you plan to be at Immigration a day after your contract ends, you should book that time 30 to 60 days in advance. That way you know they'll see you at 9 a.m. on September 2nd! 

Otherwise there will be delays.

• m.corless
  • Super Waygook

• August 30, 2011, 02:55:14 pm
    • Toronto, ON, Canada
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2019, 11:55:13 pm »

Besides, isn't the D-10 based on a point system now? 

There is still opportunity to transfer from an E-2 to a D-10. So far I have only heard of the points system being used for applicants who want a D-10 before their first contract or applying from their home country.
*Anything immigration-related should be taken with a grain of salt as things change between offices, between personnel, and between days it seems*

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 07:06:25 am »
I would do my best to get a new contract signed before leaving, get the ARC updated, and relax on vacation.

This would be the best plan of action.  Finish your school contract at the end of August, spend a few days finding a new job with the  contract to start at the end of September, sort the visa out, then go on holiday for a few weeks comfortable in the fact you'll be walking straight into the job when you come back.