Read 503 times

Leaving before your resignation end date
« on: April 24, 2019, 11:55:30 am »
Does anyone know what happens when you need to leave before your resignation end date (i.e by a month, so 30 days instead of 60) and only notify them on the last minute of this change?

• Datasapien
  • Super Waygook

• February 04, 2012, 09:36:25 pm
    • Chungcheongbuk-do
    more
Re: Leaving before your resignation end date
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 12:15:30 pm »
I can't remember exactly, but pretty sure my EPIK contract (assuming you're EPIK?) says something along the lines of that if you leave a contract early they will notify immigration, perhaps affecting your ability to work  / stay in SK in the future. I've no first hand experience though so please take this with a pinch of salt. I'd reckon your contract will be the best place to look for your answer, but hopefully someone else can chime in with better advice.
"A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." - Jebediah Springfield.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2019, 12:40:47 pm »
it depends on what you want to do and the reasoning. 

(some of the following will vary from contract to contract)
Are you resigning and then leaving Korea for good?  If you are under the six month mark on your first contract, then you'll have to pay back either the airfare or part of the renewal fee if you're onto your second or third, or if you took a load of paid vacation then it'll be prorated for the time you were here for this contract. 

I've always thought that as long as you've completed the six month mark, and if you are really nice, then you work the notice period but as you have no monies to pay back you can just go without feeling guilty.

• elsbethm
  • Veteran

• September 29, 2016, 09:26:54 pm
    • gangwondo
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2019, 03:27:23 pm »
I think we need a little more info on what you're planning to do after etc or more specifics on what info you're looking for.

Legally, you're entitled to leave at any point without notice ( it doesn't mater what's in the contract). However, early resignation will obviously impact your visa and any bonuses/exit allowances/airfare.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 01:10:55 am »
  You could also sign into/join Dave's ESL Café. TomPatts is one user you can contact there. He's very experienced and tends to be able to give great advice on such matters as visas, early resignation, what is needed to apply for jobs and so on. I do not know him personally, and I cannot say whether he'll help you. But Dave's ESL is an extra place you could ask.

• T_Rex
  • Waygookin

• April 23, 2019, 08:10:20 am
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 08:19:06 am »
You won't be prevented by immigration from returning to Korea to work again.  If you're leaving a public school job you may find it difficult to ever teach at public school again. Hagwons would still be an option.

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 08:50:45 am »
Does anyone know what happens when you need to leave before your resignation end date (i.e by a month, so 30 days instead of 60) and only notify them on the last minute of this change?

Assuming you're EPIK:

i know a few people who have quit towards the end of their contracts (some gave notice, some didn't) so if you leave 30 or so days before the scheduled completion date don't worry it will be relatively painless, despite what your school or MOE/POE may tell you.

Of course you forfeit the 1.3 mil completion bonus but everything else will be paid out (pro-rated)

one potential problem is the apartment lease as you're on the hook for any fees incurred by leaving early (including rent). if you're only leaving one month before the original end date you shouldn't owe too much money but be prepared for them to try and nickel and dime you here. fees will appear out of nowhere

of course your school won't be happy so they won't do you any favors. your visa will be cancelled and in the future EPIK will never touch you again, but that's pretty much it for negative repercussions.

hell you can even apply for your pension refund from outside Korea if you leave in a huge rush

if you need to go, just go

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2019, 08:22:31 am »
Wow, thanks everyone for your feedback. Really appreciate it!