Read 2227 times

Documentary shows what went wrong in Sewol disaster
« on: April 21, 2019, 12:54:22 pm »
https://youtu.be/5_A8dq2fA5o

Itís a heart breaking documentary. I donít know what was up with the rescue attempt. Maybe disasters like this are so rare that when they do show up the life guard has no real life experience and shows up totally inadequate.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Documentary shows what went wrong in Sewol disaster
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2019, 01:29:47 am »
https://youtu.be/5_A8dq2fA5o

Itís a heart breaking documentary. I donít know what was up with the rescue attempt. Maybe disasters like this are so rare that when they do show up the life guard has no real life experience and shows up totally inadequate.
Does it include martini's "scientific timeline"?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2019, 03:33:54 am »
"The helicopters should have landed to make a good show."

That is one of several comments worried about how things LOOKED.

Plus the president's office obsession with getting live video rather than: facts, talking to captain, and/or decision making details.

And the parental regret that she advised her daughter to follow the teacher's advice (to stay put and wait).

One student on board spoke (by cell phone video - she probably died that day) about a prior subway accident where people were told to stay put and they died, the only survivors were those who ignored the advice and immediately evacuated the scene.

There are a lot of background factors going into that disaster.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 03:36:50 am by VanIslander »

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 07:33:14 am »
Or how about the President offering her useful advice "First, check all the cabins, then make sure no one dies"....this while the boat is upside down underwater for over an hour.
The abdication of responsibility by the coast guard by simply waiting for "orders from above" is just as criminal as anything else that went on.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• October 15, 2013, 07:32:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 07:35:17 am »
I still find it very damn sad that the captain was one of the first people off the boat and there were announcements still going telling people to stay put even as the ship was full tilt.  If you go on youtube there are whole videos capturing the kids just patiently waiting in the bunkers, nervously laughing, as announcement after announcement told them not to move.  Yet all the while, they were at full lean.  I remember watching a CNN interview with an America ship captain who said from what I can remember "I don't understand for the life of me why they were asked to stay put and the captain is suppose to stay with the ship till every other passenger and crew member is off the ship, the fact that he was on of the first people off the ship baffles me." 

Seriously this tragedy was so mindless and highly preventable.  My friend tells me that the only good thing about tragedies like this is that we learn from our mistakes.  I HOPE SO!  Because I'm about to go on a ferry to Jeju next weekend and I hate to think we are still OVER PACKAGING THE CARGO BED OF SHIPS!!   I feel so sad for the parents that lost a child on that ship.

• CO2
  • The Legend

• March 02, 2015, 03:41:14 pm
    • Gunpo
    more
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2019, 07:48:54 am »
I just........................ I can't believe . If I'm on a boat and it's going south.. just get on any deck and sit there with a life jacket.

I'm not blaming the kids or anything. I just hope that anyone in the future in this situation doesn't sit there and wait.

Boats of this size are coffins, Imagine being 3 floors from the deck? If water comes in, you're fukked, like, well and truly fukked, swimming capabilities or not. 
The joys of fauxtherhood

• JVPrice
  • Expert Waygook

• August 29, 2017, 10:26:13 am
    • Cheongju
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2019, 07:52:20 am »
Yeah, I agree with what was said above. It's so unbelievably ridiculous how easily this situation could've been prevented. I'm pissed that the captain left so quickly, I'm even more pissed at the phone calls talking about making it a "look good" for the cameras. Great job with your priorities, Korea...
The World Ends With You

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2019, 09:45:49 am »
I just........................ I can't believe . If I'm on a boat and it's going south.. just get on any deck and sit there with a life jacket.

I'm not blaming the kids or anything. I just hope that anyone in the future in this situation doesn't sit there and wait.

Boats of this size are coffins, Imagine being 3 floors from the deck? If water comes in, you're fukked, like, well and truly fukked, swimming capabilities or not. 

Yeah honestly, when I very first saw the cellphone videos that emerged from the Sewol I was like "Why are we sitting around singing the theme song for the Titantic and why aren't we more nervous and scared and asking when we can leave?" 

But....Seeing the recent Norwegian cruise ship incidents.  Two of which happened over the winter time, I saw LOTS of Westerners (Canadians/Americans) just sitting at the bar having a drink while a WHOLE DAMN PIANO SLID BY!  So if anyone wants to make this a "Koreans have no sense of urgency in deadly situations,"  I'm going to have to ask you to take a seat because I know there'd be plenty of Americans and others who'd crack morbid jokes and/or selfishly push people out of the way, or sit around a bar drinking if a dire situation ever arose.  You nor I don't know how we would react in certain situations.   All of us think we'd not be the stupid blonde that walking into the room Jason is in but do really really know we wouldn't be.   Btw not attacking you CO2, I'm just saying I've seen people moments after the tragedy shocked at all the students sitting around doing nothing and making it a "Korean" thing.   

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2019, 10:17:18 am »

Just want to point out that in all of these situations, you have incomplete information. For example if the flooding is controlled, but everyone goes on desk, the added weight at the top could cause a ship to roll and make the situation worse. Likewise, there's also a chance that if you stay below, you'll get trapped and drown.

It's the same as "Do you stay at the aircraft and wait for rescuers or do you set out into the wilderness? Because you have incomplete information in all of these situations, you are dealing with probabilities, not certainties.

You nor I don't know how we would react in certain situations.   All of us think we'd not be the stupid blonde that walking into the room Jason is in but do really really know we wouldn't be.   Btw not attacking you CO2, I'm just saying I've seen people moments after the tragedy shocked at all the students sitting around doing nothing and making it a "Korean" thing.   
Exactly. Just look at the Vegas shooting. There was a group of people just standing around and vaping while everyone ran and bullets were hitting the pavement near them. Granted they were probably stoned out of the gourd, but still...

There's also some cultural bias here. If WE did it, that would be us "keeping calm" or "our ability to find humor in dark situations". If Koreans do it, it's because they're sheep or ignorant or can't think for themselves or have no sense of urgency or whatever.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 10:44:20 am »
A fact that was reported on a few years afterwards but seemingly quickly forgotten as insignificant:

Sewol was carrying a lot of supplies for the construction of the highly disputed naval base on Jeju Island. The weight of it and placement were factors in the accident. The Korea Herald had a full page story with detailed step-by-step graphics about the scientific explanation behind how the ferry sank.

No one has 'weaponized' the fact that this tragedy may have been prevented if the government hadn't ignored the protests of Jeju residents to the idea of militarizing 'the island of peace'.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 10:56:57 am »
A fact that was reported on a few years afterwards but seemingly quickly forgotten as insignificant:

Sewol was carrying a lot of supplies for the construction of the highly disputed naval base on Jeju Island. The weight of it and placement were factors in the accident. The Korea Herald had a full page story with detailed step-by-step graphics about the scientific explanation behind how the ferry sank.

No one has 'weaponized' the fact that this tragedy may have been prevented if the government hadn't ignored the protests of Jeju residents to the idea of militarizing 'the island of peace'.

Well that would have been a massive, massive reach.
If the ship hadn't been overloaded, carrying the incorrect ballast water amount and illegally modified it wouldn't have mattered what the cargo was.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2019, 11:11:05 am »
I remember that day 5 years ago in April when this disaster happened. I was watching this on Al-Jazeera online while I was at my desk at work in South Korea when it happened. Later that week on Friday I got my students to write letters of condolences to the
victims families and friends at the Danwon High School. I gave them the English words to write and they made their messages in Korean on yellow sheets of paper. After I got my students to write these letters, I sent them away by mail to the Danwon High School. I will never forget what happened 5 years ago.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2019, 11:18:28 am »

Yes I read that too.  That the cargo area was not securely  tied town aka you have shipping containers just sliding around down at the base which when just a gust of wind hits, causes the containers to slide around and hit the ship walls which in turn busted open to let water in.  Plus massive over packing to being with. 

Just want to point out that in all of these situations, you have incomplete information. For example if the flooding is controlled, but everyone goes on desk, the added weight at the top could cause a ship to roll and make the situation worse. Likewise, there's also a chance that if you stay below, you'll get trapped and drown.

It's the same as "Do you stay at the aircraft and wait for rescuers or do you set out into the wilderness? Because you have incomplete information in all of these situations, you are dealing with probabilities, not certainties.

You nor I don't know how we would react in certain situations.   All of us think we'd not be the stupid blonde that walking into the room Jason is in but do really really know we wouldn't be.   Btw not attacking you CO2, I'm just saying I've seen people moments after the tragedy shocked at all the students sitting around doing nothing and making it a "Korean" thing.   
Exactly. Just look at the Vegas shooting. There was a group of people just standing around and vaping while everyone ran and bullets were hitting the pavement near them. Granted they were probably stoned out of the gourd, but still...

There's also some cultural bias here. If WE did it, that would be us "keeping calm" or "our ability to find humor in dark situations". If Koreans do it, it's because they're sheep or ignorant or can't think for themselves or have no sense of urgency or whatever.

And +1 this!   I actually saw someone who was just walking around filming the dead bodies on the ground at that Vegas tragedy and he was acting like  a "first responder" because his mom was a nurse, if anything the guy was just filming for morbid curiosity because he was asking clearly dead people (covered in blood, blood spouting out of their necks and mouths) "Are you okay?"  Somebody with the right sense said "THE HELL MAN, DOES SHE LOOK OKAY!?!?!?  WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!?!?"  The guy said he was a first responder and that it's okay because his mom was  a nurse.  Pfffttt clearly that guy was no different then someone sitting around cracking jokes about their ship sinking.   I did see a lot of people not really running for their lives at first but then when more gun fire was heard then that's when the panic set in. 

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2019, 11:39:29 am »
It's the same as "Do you stay at the aircraft and wait for rescuers or do you set out into the wilderness?

You stay put. If you have a map of the area, then go somewhere. If you're lost? You stay put. That's the rule.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• CO2
  • The Legend

• Gunpo
    more
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2019, 11:41:15 am »

That's like saying "You murdered your wife cuz you asked her to go get milk and she got in a car crash."

It's horseshite.
The joys of fauxtherhood

• CypherSoul
  • Veteran

• May 02, 2018, 07:51:18 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2019, 11:52:20 am »
This is extremely weird. Whilst I knew of the Sewol Ferry Incident back when it happened, I didn't read much about it. I have been researching it for the past 3 days watching documentaries and reading a lot of articles and I was thinking of posting something here but thought it was old news and someone probably posted it but here we are. Guess it was meant to be.

Here's another documentary which people should watch too,  in case they haven't.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhME_nj5CWc
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2019, 12:16:23 pm »
The comparison with the Norwegion cruise ship rescue is not fair.

• Piggydee
  • The Legend

• South Korea
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2019, 12:37:01 pm »

How so.   I saw plenty of mid aged to elderly people sitting around like those kids were.   Heck there was one video that showed people sitting on bar stools with what looked like a drink in their hand as chairs and tables when sliding about.  The comparison I made was that people did NOTHING.  The rescue effort one the other hand was superbly done by the Norwegian first responders,  unlike the Korean government efforts that were slow, disorganized, and just an over all general malaise as to what needed to be done first to get the people who were still on the ship. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2019, 12:52:17 pm »
As many Koreans have explained, the assholes running the ship told the kids to stay in their compartments while they went above.  The coast gaurd couldn't rescue the kids because they needed the President's orders to launch a rescue operation, which is dumb as f@k.  (In Canada, they just go rescue, they don't need Turdo's permission.)  The President was getting some illegal face surgery and spent the next couple of years covering it up and trying to silence critics and freedom of speech.  (The real reason she was removed and jailed was the backlash from this and what sat in the back of most people's minds.)  But, she shouldn't be faulted for everything.  Korea has a bureaucratic culture where no one wants to take responsibility and everyone is afraid of risk.  They don't even have Good Samaritan laws to protect people.  Additionally, some fishermen were willing to take out their boats to try and rescue kids.  But the police wouldn't let them leave port.  Another effed up situation.  Again, most people here are afraid of risks and responsibility.  The bureaucracy abounds and almost everyone is afraid of making a damn decision.  You see it everyday in your schools.  If you ask your co-teacher about something, forget it.  Just do it and ask forgiveness later in some cases.  Ha ha.  People here are ridiculously fearful and averse to any risk or leadership, taking initiative is a foreign concept here. 

Still, if it were my kid, those scumbags who told my kid to stay below while he selfishly went to the top waiting to be rescued, well, I'd prob be in jail now myself.  Pieces of shit, unredeemable human beings they were. 

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2019, 01:06:18 pm »

right.  it was very close to disaster when it drifted towards the coast after the engines failed and the extreme weather at which point the emergency services were on it and following it.  there was nothing untoward about the safety and cargo etc on the Viking Sky which would have made the situation worse.  the passengers staying on board filming although scared and shaken were staying calm.  modern media probably made this sounds and look more dangerous that it really was.  There was just  the stupid modern phenomenon of people filming stuff on their phones in times of danger.

but the Sewol listed 20 degrees to port in 26 seconds due mainly to it being illegally overloaded and insufficient water ballast and it went down hill from there.  there is proof that the staff didn't have sufficient training to deal with the situation.  also there was the lackluster rescue effort.  I mean, it was 1.5 kms off the coast.  in 1970, the Namyeong ferry  sank killing 326 because of overloaded freight, but for some similar reasons, it was allowed to happen again.  when you have a terrible tragedy like this, you make sure it doesn't happen again.  sadly, for all the grief that it has caused, and is still causing, I doubt it. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 01:08:55 pm by Ronnie Omelettes »