Read 707 times

FAS/FASD and Methadone Clinics
« on: April 19, 2019, 12:12:20 am »

There is no other country in the world I have been to that has so much drunkenness
from alcohol consumption other than South Korea. According to statistics, Russia is
worse than Korea when it comes to the highest number of drunkards, but in Asia
South Korea has proven to have the highest number of drunkards in Asia. Everywhere
I have been in Korea I have always seen vomit spots on the streets.

Because of the fact that Korea has the highest number of drunkards in Asia, I need to
know, what are the statistics in Korea with regards to FAS (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome), or
FASD (Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder)?
I worked in Korea for 7 years and I never saw a child with FAS or FASD.

How about methadone clinics? How many methadone clinics per capita are there in
South Korea?

I currently work for an Indigenous reservation in Canada. The Native community where I
work has a 20% rate of FASD. Plus there is not one reserve I can come across which does
not have a methadone clinic. I knew someone who used to work in one on the reservation
where I work.

The strange thing is that I have seen more drunkards more often in South Korea than I
do on the reservation where I work. Perhaps it's because there are less people on the
reserve and I don't live on the reserve. But what I know is that there is a lot of boozing
happening in their homes to a point that even the young people are engaging into
underage drinking.

I know that in South Korea, most of the people who get drunk are men, and I have never
seen any incidents of underage drinking. But it will not surprise me if there are children
born with FAS or FASD, and I did not come across any methadone clinics when I was in
Korea. But some people would ask what would I know if I don't drink? Perhaps most
people in Korea are secretive about the problems caused by drunkeness because of
the fact that Koreans don't like to lose face over the common faults of their society.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
Re: FAS/FASD and Methadone Clinics
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 07:14:32 am »
What's the connection between alcoholism and Methadone clinics?

I would say there are approximately zero methadone clinics per capita. Seeing as opioid addiction not being widespread at all here. And I don't see Korea as the kind of country to use the methadone mthod to ween addicts off heroin or whatever else.

Anyone ever had surgery or some sort of painful emergency here? They are really, really hesitant to give anything at all that might eventually lead to dependency. I had a kidney stone, which is a 10/10 on the pain scale. The ER first gave me some piss weak pain killer, like Tylenol extra, in my IV. After writhing around for a good 30 minutes the nurse gave Tramadol and told my wife that it was the one and only time she was going to administer it and I would have to put up with the pain after that.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• apancoe
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 08:44:40 am
    • south korea
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 07:45:46 am »

There is no other country in the world I have been to that has so much drunkenness
from alcohol consumption other than South Korea. According to statistics, Russia is
worse than Korea when it comes to the highest number of drunkards, but in Asia
South Korea has proven to have the highest number of drunkards in Asia. Everywhere
I have been in Korea I have always seen vomit spots on the streets.

Because of the fact that Korea has the highest number of drunkards in Asia, I need to
know
, what are the statistics in Korea with regards to FAS (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome), or
FASD (Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder)?
I worked in Korea for 7 years and I never saw a child with FAS or FASD.

How about methadone clinics? How many methadone clinics per capita are there in
South Korea?

I currently work for an Indigenous reservation in Canada. The Native community where I
work has a 20% rate of FASD. Plus there is not one reserve I can come across which does
not have a methadone clinic. I knew someone who used to work in one on the reservation
where I work.

The strange thing is that I have seen more drunkards more often in South Korea than I
do on the reservation where I work. Perhaps it's because there are less people on the
reserve and I don't live on the reserve. But what I know is that there is a lot of boozing
happening in their homes to a point that even the young people are engaging into
underage drinking.

I know that in South Korea, most of the people who get drunk are men, and I have never
seen any incidents of underage drinking. But it will not surprise me if there are children
born with FAS or FASD, and I did not come across any methadone clinics when I was in
Korea. But some people would ask what would I know if I don't drink? Perhaps most
people in Korea are secretive about the problems caused by drunkeness because of
the fact that Koreans don't like to lose face over the common faults of their society.

you NEED to know that? why? why are you requesting statistics that are in no way reliable or provable from random NETs on an online message board?   

also, do you work for an indigenous reservation in Canada? i'm not sure i caught it in every single one of your posts.
too many blueprints & not enough architects

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2019, 08:28:20 am »
Study
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/langlo/article/PIIS2214-109X(17)30021-9/fulltext

The data. This is a deep dive...
https://www.thelancet.com/cms/10.1016/S2214-109X(17)30021-9/attachment/56b0f81d-300f-49d8-81a8-4b8adf3c25b3/mmc1.pdf

From what I can tell, Korea is one of the highest in developed East Asia, though it is still lower than in developed countries such as New Zealand, Ireland, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, and the UK. In some cases they are significantly lower.

The U.S. and Canada are well below Europe and Korea in rates of FAS.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Cairo, Egypt (formerly Seoul)
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2019, 09:07:22 am »
Study
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/langlo/article/PIIS2214-109X(17)30021-9/fulltext

The data. This is a deep dive...
https://www.thelancet.com/cms/10.1016/S2214-109X(17)30021-9/attachment/56b0f81d-300f-49d8-81a8-4b8adf3c25b3/mmc1.pdf

From what I can tell, Korea is one of the highest in developed East Asia, though it is still lower than in developed countries such as New Zealand, Ireland, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, and the UK. In some cases they are significantly lower.

The U.S. and Canada are well below Europe and Korea in rates of FAS.

Canada and US have a strong social stigma against drinking even a little while pregnant.

I remember the “there is no safe limit” posters in the doctor’s office, and the dirty looks at “just-a-glass-with-dinner” drinking (or smoking) women with a bump.